Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Lesser Hivemind Node Oshada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    699

    Humble Indie Bundle 7 Torrent

    This is a very interesting torrent that I noticed, if only for the interesting nature of the comments.

    - "6.6$ for this pack is nothing, i bought it and i'm from a poor country
    Buy it, help the charity"

    - "this is one torrent i don't support"

    - "guys these are indie games not ones made by EA or sumthing.....
    give devs support that they need so that they can make more amaziing games!"

    - "if you do not have five dollars to play these, maybe games aren't what you should be thinking about. especially if you have a family you cannot afford to feed why internet or the pc?"

    And of course the less appealing members of our society weigh in as well...

    - "BOOHOO who cares goddamn, this is a sharing website
    i didn't even know there was this bundle or whatever, so i'm not going to not download these, go somewhere out of my way just so i can give away money.. get over yourselves."

    But what's interesting is that the first group vastly outnumber the second.

    Is this purely because of Humble Bundle's charity connection? Or is there a price people are willing to pay if low enough?

    (Also I should add that this is the first torrent I've seen of any Humble Bundle)

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,871
    It's because people have a totally fucked-up idea of what constitutes good vs bad when it comes to digital products and how you acquire them - partly caused by the retarded way most content producers approach digital but mostly produced because these people "socialise" in places where other wrong-headed fucking idiots form their worldview on the topic.

    It's probably not wise to read anything into it at all really - every charity bundle (or the games theirin) are shared via 'all the usual means' - keys are shared (e.g. "pirates" download from the bundle owners own servers) and so on...

    It's not 1 iota different from any other form of copyright abuse - attempting to suggest otherwise is crazytalk.

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Its nothing new for people in a torrent site to complain about a torrent.
    Also, pirates tend to be fanatical when they decide to actually support something.

    Fun story:
    Many a year ago, I was a filthy pirate. I was a member of two (linked) communities. One for old games, one for new games (Admittedly, I spent most of my time grabbing "abandonware" off the former). Then GoG came around, and the old games site made a specific rule of "Do not post a GoG release". Initially it was on the principle that "They are doing a good thing and the least we can do is not use their installers". Then the sister site (which had a cutoff for old games to not be allowed on it) started allowing exceptions to be made for GoG releases. A lot of people (myself included) got pissed off, and that was actually the last time I ever really pirated games for anything less than a study of the DRM model and how it is negated.
    I doubt too many other people abandoned their accounts though.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,216
    Is it so hard to believe that people torrent games because they don't have money,but buy them later on.

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,156
    Yes. When you pirate a game and have no money, there is absolutely no motivational incentive to go back and pay for it once you do have funds.

    Which is irrelevant in this case anyway, because the Humble Bundle only lasts a certain time. You either buy it before it ends or you can't buy it at all.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    (Admittedly, I spent most of my time grabbing "abandonware" off the former).
    What do you think is the moral approach towards buying games you played when abandonware that have since become available on GOG? I played some years ago when the possibility of their being re-released seemed ludicrous. It's rather difficult to answer questions like "if they had been available for $5 when I downloaded them, would I have bought them", but these seem to be the sorts of questions that are relevant.

    These days, given the success of GOG I think I would probably treat an abandonware download as a resolution to buy the game were it to appear on GOG.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Pretty much. Are there people who buy the games they torrent? Probably, but they are rare as crap. And, take it from experience, even when they say that and DO that, they still don't buy all the games. And if they do, they probably aren't buying it at its true "value".

    Example: Freelancer. Amazingly fun ride, but linear as crap with no real opportunity for variety. So most people would put it in the "Maybe I'll do another run next year". So a game that would otherwise be worth 40-50 bucks ends up being purchased at 20 (because if you have already played it, you don't mind waiting for a good sale).
    But don't worry, the industry has ways to resolve those problems. Multiplayer-focused games where the SP campaign is an after-thought :p

    Simple fact of the matter is: If you can't afford a hobby, you shouldn't partake of it. I love painting miniatures and I think I would really love to play some 40k or FB. Unfortunately, I am not made of money. So I am not going to blow all my cash on building a single army and buying dozens of rule books. It sucks, but I instead find other hobbies that I CAN afford.

    And that is just the people who actually DO buy the games they pirate, rather than just say so. And they are about as common as people who really are telling the truth when they say "I only act like that when I am drunk"
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's because people have a totally fucked-up idea of what constitutes good vs bad when it comes to digital products and how you acquire them
    Exactly - look no further than this comment: "guys these are indie games not ones made by EA or sumthing....."

    ea bad
    indie good
    banana

    Quote Originally Posted by Oshada
    (Also I should add that this is the first torrent I've seen of any Humble Bundle)
    Probably because it's retarded to make a torrent of a bundle, since you could torrent all the included games individually since their release.

  9. #9
    Lesser Hivemind Node Oshada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Lonely Mountain
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post

    Yes. When you pirate a game and have no money, there is absolutely no motivational incentive to go back and pay for it once you do have funds.
    I've done it for nearly every game I've pirated, I must be a paragon of virtue (OK, fine, most of them in Steam sales (but the nice ones full price))

    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

    Probably because it's retarded to make a torrent of a bundle, since you could torrent all the included games individually since their release.
    Which was sort of my point in making this thread... it's the reaction to the collection being uploaded. I'm willing to bet each of the individual games' torrents didn't have nearly the amount of opposition to the upload.

  10. #10
    Lesser Hivemind Node Gorzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Simple fact of the matter is: If you can't afford a hobby, you shouldn't partake of it. I love painting miniatures and I think I would really love to play some 40k or FB. Unfortunately, I am not made of money. So I am not going to blow all my cash on building a single army and buying dozens of rule books. It sucks, but I instead find other hobbies that I CAN afford.
    I think this is not so simple. The way I see it, it's fair to assume most of us were pirates at some point in our lives, and hadn't we been so we wouldn't be big consumers right now. I am certain, had I not pirated a lot of games when I was younger and couldn't afford to buy games, I wouldn't spend as much as I do now that I don't pirate. If you can't afford a hobby for reasons beyond your personal control, I understand you'd do watever you can to partake on that hobby with your limited resources, and that way, once you can, you'll probably be a legitimate consumer.

    Also, completely offtopic, but I just found out about this. It's a very freeform skirmish based game system you can play with no more than 12 miniatures per side, and wich cares about nothing but FUN, also, it's supposedly really easy to learn. I've read good things about it but can't give any personal opinion since I'm yet to order it from amazon, but it seems like a nice way of giving use to some of the minis you might've painted. It's cheap as dirt anyway, so you might want to give it a try.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,871
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Simple fact of the matter is: If you can't afford a hobby, you shouldn't partake of it. I love painting miniatures and I think I would really love to play some 40k or FB. Unfortunately, I am not made of money. So I am not going to blow all my cash on building a single army and buying dozens of rule books. It sucks, but I instead find other hobbies that I CAN afford.
    It's not that simple with digital media - many people have NO QUALMS WHATSOEVER about piracy, it doesn't even occur to them that what they're doing is wrong and/or they don't care because it's easy and they save their money for things they cannot "just copy".

    It's even being passed-down to kids - parents who pirate things as a matter of course just show their kids how to do it - I know several parents who have a 'dealer' for game discs in the way you would for weed or whatever...

    Then there's the communities which form around torrent/NZB-type sites. I once used a site to get some TV programmes I'd missed and I noticed the RSS was broken (invalid format) so I posted to highlight the issue (e.g. offered a fix) and received nothing but a torrent of bile.

    What was interesting was the complex system these fuckstones had developed to police and control their little universe. To highlight their (syntactical - technical) error was unacceptable - bordering on heretical - because I'd not posted any links or thanks or whatever else they called 'their rules'. They banned me until 2099 - which is amusing as their site was fucked-over shortly thereafter (not by me - honest!!).

    It taps into the same bit of the brain - I reckon - that homeopathy and religion does. It's clear to anyone with half-an-ounce-of-sense that it's all utter bollocks - but they offer hope, a system for separating right and wrong/good and bad/sick and well.

    All of these gullible berks react BADLY when you highlight that they're fucking crazy/wrong/breaking the law/undermining their hobby, because you're opening the door and showing them the (big, cold, unfriendly, unfair and miserable) real world that they're hiding from...

    People are strange...
    Last edited by trjp; 01-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    I think this is not so simple. The way I see it, it's fair to assume most of us were pirates at some point in our lives, and hadn't we been so we wouldn't be big consumers right now. I am certain, had I not pirated a lot of games when I was younger and couldn't afford to buy games, I wouldn't spend as much as I do now that I don't pirate. If you can't afford a hobby for reasons beyond your personal control, I understand you'd do watever you can to partake on that hobby with your limited resources, and that way, once you can, you'll probably be a legitimate consumer.

    Also, completely offtopic, but I just found out about this. It's a very freeform skirmish based game system you can play with no more than 12 miniatures per side, and wich cares about nothing but FUN, also, it's supposedly really easy to learn. I've read good things about it but can't give any personal opinion since I'm yet to order it from amazon, but it seems like a nice way of giving use to some of the minis you might've painted. It's cheap as dirt anyway, so you might want to give it a try.
    I mostly just say that because we often get people saying "I would buy them if I could afford them". If you are gonna pirate, be honest about it. And if you truly can't afford to budget shop (point of reference: I got three PS3 games this winter and I paid a grand total of 50 dollars. I spend more than that on gas in a given month), you should be re-evaluating how you spend your limited resources. That's the beautiful thing about the bundle-system: They are rarely ever more than 10 dollars to beat the average, and you get 5 or 6 pretty good games.

    Then you have the people who want to play the latest and "greatest" games. But can't afford to buy them (but still somehow have a system that runs them super-sexily :p). Rather than play older titles for a while, they'll pirate. And there is no real call for that (and it hurts the industry in the long run*).

    Occasionally a moron will call me out on having so many Steam games. But here is the thing: 99% of those were bought dirt cheap during a sale (or as part of a bundle), and I never go over my budget for entertainment (which I split across amazon video rentals, ebooks, music, games, tabletop stuff, etc). And if my car were to explode tomorrow in a manner that my crappy insurance won't cover (so basically anything, really), I have enough squirreled away to recover pretty quickly. How do I do this, you might ask? Proper budgeting and restraint. And that is it. If I don't have enough in my entertainment fund, I consider tapping my "stupid ass crap fund" (which mostly goes toward doing stupid and destructive things with dildos, since that entertains me :p). Or I just say "I'll get that at a better price point".

    And thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. But as it stands, I mostly just use my miniatures either as decorations or miniatures for D&D. MUCH cheaper hobby :p. Buy your own Player's Handbook for quick reference, and go in with a group on the GM and Monster Manual books.

    *: If you are going to say "Screw the industry, companies are your enemies!". Good for you. Now shut up :p

    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's not that simple with digital media - many people have NO QUALMS WHATSOEVER about piracy, it doesn't even occur to them that what they're doing is wrong and/or they don't care because it's easy and they save their money for things they cannot "just copy".
    And I had friends growing up (and in HS...) who would steal from convenience stores and super markets when they were in the mood for a snack. They saw nothing wrong with what they did ("the only victims were the big companies". They were stupid). I never ratted them out, but I also NEVER entered a store with any of them. Just because they were stupid doesn't mean it was okay.

    That's why I follow the simple rule of: Don't call people out personally unless they are REALLY stupid. Instead, make an observation. If someone thinks said observation applies to them, maybe they'll consider changing their ways. And if they don't think it applies to them/they are righteous, then nothing you can say will make a difference. You can't control other people, only yourself. So never do anything that won't let you look at yourself in the mirror, and try to work around the stupidity of others.

    Fun fact: Three of them later moved on to breaking and entering cars/garages. When running from the cops one night, one of them got nabbed. The other two actually called him (I hope they didn't know he was caught) because they did not know where they were and needed a ride home. La Policia picked them up, and everyone who knew them had a good laugh when we found out what they moved on to (and that they were arrested). Of course, two of these kids were the ones who wanted to become pharmacists so they could sell prescription drugs on the side, so yeah...
    Last edited by gundato; 01-01-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    All of these gullible berks react BADLY when you highlight that they're fucking crazy/wrong/breaking the law/undermining their hobby, because you're opening the door and showing them the (big, cold, unfriendly, unfair and miserable) real world that they're hiding from...
    Not necessarily. I'm a pirate. And I don't react badly to your post.

    *takes a sip off his soda*

  14. #14
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    What was interesting was the complex system these fuckstones had developed to police and control their little universe. To highlight their (syntactical - technical) error was unacceptable - bordering on heretical - because I'd not posted any links or thanks or whatever else they called 'their rules'. They banned me until 2099 - which is amusing as their site was fucked-over shortly thereafter (not by me - honest!!).

    It taps into the same bit of the brain - I reckon - that homeopathy and religion does. It's clear to anyone with half-an-ounce-of-sense that it's all utter bollocks - but they offer hope, a system for separating right and wrong/good and bad/sick and well.

    All of these gullible berks react BADLY when you highlight that they're fucking crazy/wrong/breaking the law/undermining their hobby, because you're opening the door and showing them the (big, cold, unfriendly, unfair and miserable) real world that they're hiding from...

    People are strange...
    I know these people too well, but have to add, that if you "threaten" their little own lawn on the internet, you get bullied, demonized and swiftly removed from their universe faster than you can say "WTF".

    In my case there was (better exists to this day) a little board which has specialized in mom & pop casual games with a "female" (not sure, if the person really is a she) administrator who has banned me from her little universe because I did not obey her formatting of posted stuff officially. The truth was that she was taking my own stuff, repackaged it with her own installer and my articles were "lost" or pushed into limbo. After reminding her that she should not do this, she really got mad (and paranoid).

    Soon afterwards I quit this whole section of the internet for that there are some people who crosspost their stuff on dozens of boards and blogs for the intent of making money off one click hoster and/or referall links and I got more and more disgusted until I left.

    Currently, I'm purchasing most games I play from regular, legal download shops (steam, gog, gmg et al). I own some games in boxed copy versions, a GOG one and a steam one.

    Most extreme case are the Edna & Harvey games, for I own the special collectors boxed set, the Edna & Harvey double special collectors edition (is a bit lame, sadly), the GOG.COM version and I'm planning to buy it on steam (achievements).

  15. #15
    Lesser Hivemind Node DWZippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    508
    I've pirated -and I will continue to pirate, however I use it as a "tester". If there were more demo's I wouldn't need to, that's not justification because pirating is still illegal, but I feel a lot better dropping 40 pounds on a game if I know that it works on my computer and I'm sure I'll play it at least a little bit.

    Obviously, I still gamble on games in the sales and I'll frequently pre-order games if I like the series or the pre-release press is good, but sometimes there's a game right on the fence that I'm not sure if I'll like, but I'm intrigued by. [Sleeping Dogs would have been just one of those games, although I didn't pirate it, and haven't pirated for about a year]

    If I do like it, I'll drop the cash on it as soon as I've established there are no technical errors and it's a game I want to play more of. If I don't like it, I uninstall it, because I don't want to spend any more time on it. Evaluation period is generally about an hour or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

  16. #16
    Lesser Hivemind Node mnemnoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    501
    I dont know if Im the only one doing this but I torrent huge size games after I buy them from steam. Its because I cant run steam download for more than 2 hours as it tend to suck all my internet speed and its a pain since Im sharing the internet with other people. With torrents I can change how much kbps I will allot.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,156
    Bandwidth caps? What an exceedingly strange and archaic concept.

    By the way, props to the right use of 'allot'. I think this is the first time I've ever seen it used correctly on an internet message board.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    You can tell english isn't his first language.

  19. #19
    Lesser Hivemind Node mnemnoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    501
    Is that a requirement around here?
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

  20. #20
    Lesser Hivemind Node DWZippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    508
    Not at all! You probably speak better English than I do and that's my Only ​language. :D L
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •