Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Economy vs Assault (has this been done before?)

Idea came up while playing Tropico 3 back to back with Just Cause 2. It dawned on me I was playing 2 orphaned halves of an awesome game.

One player is building a town/base/dungeon the other is desperately seeking their death.

Dungeon Keeper 2 had elements of this, but can anyone suggest any others?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Sorry to bump but... 75 views and not one reply... That's gotta be a record of some kind.

^_^ Okay, I'll let the thread die now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    It's an intriguing idea, I wish I was aware of something that fits the bill.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sorry to bump but... 75 views and not one reply... That's gotta be a record of some kind.

^_^ Okay, I'll let the thread die now.

Oh you need to see my thread,it had over 300 views and not even one reply lol..

Tell me more how does that play,never heard of something like that.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    the upcoming dungeonland has some of this.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There is that upcoming Ubi title about building a base and raid others. Its a dungeon crawler free to play game called "The Might Quest For Epic Loot" https://www.themightyquest.com/en

Other than that, can't think of any, but it sounds a great idea on paper

Well, as an example. In dungeon Keeper the possession spell turned the game first person. You became one of your creatures and had all of their capacities but better, add to that the freedom to command other creatures to follow you.

You could possess and imp, get a few brawlers and drill a surprise tunnel to their flank.

Or, (when it was open source prefixed "Free") Alliegence,Natural Selection(1&2) or Battlefield 2: Project Reality but those three are many vs many so they don't really count.

Also sacrifice and Battlezone 2, but they are third/first person strategy/action games.

Also Sword of the Stars when a invasion fleet hits a planet without a defensive fleet, but does have satalites. And LAPD Future Cop's Precinct Assault.

YEAH... I've given this thought.

Total War Shogun 2 to a degree, as well. you can man the cannons as well as build improvements.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Hmm. Not simultaneous, but Gratuitous Tank Battles lets you defend or attack, and you can save at least one of those :p

And that NS-ripoff from a few years back ("Iron" something, I think. I still get spam from them so I can check if anyone really cares) where one side was FPS attackers and the other side was one guy doing defense and the like. I think it started as a 2k4 mod that went Source and then Retail? And lost even more players with each shift :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Not just battles though, I want some offset between making money and holding the line.

It wouldn't need to be simultaneous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Hmm. Might be worth asking this on the Positech forums. Not sure if GTB already got campaign add-ons (I haven't really sat down to play it yet. It is on my to-do list) but, if so, this should be comparatively easy to implement. Just need an interface to allocate resoruces (even something as simple as building factories and the like). At the very least, probably worth seeing if the fanbase is interested enough to pester the devs en masse.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    I'm not quite sure it's exactly what you are describing, but Hinterland (it's on Steam) has town building while trying to pacify the local npc/monster groups. It's pretty basic, kinda ugly, and not terribly well executed, but there is some fun to be found in it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vurogj View Post
    I'm not quite sure it's exactly what you are describing, but Hinterland (it's on Steam) has town building while trying to pacify the local npc/monster groups. It's pretty basic, kinda ugly, and not terribly well executed, but there is some fun to be found in it.
    I was just about to post Hinterland :P

Although actually fighting monsters is the easiest way to get money.

There are some Ancient World games that I forgot the name of where you can take control of your hero unit and fight instead of manage.

Network Hub
    I love games like that allow for multiple different genres, but it's really hard to pull off. It seems like most developers avoid trying.

Hostile Waters allows you to play a strategic/tactical level and as individual units. Carrier Command does as well, I believe.

Do you mean something like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with a more fleshed out investment system and the ability to play MP characters in single player? Because that would be AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    Do you mean something like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with a more fleshed out investment system and the ability to play MP characters in single player? Because that would be AWESOME.
    Investing in vendors and guards while assassins cruise around causing trouble would be a glorious example. Invest in a few dozen archers for the roofs of the River district, make sure to open the banks early to promote independent business to spring up, hopefully slowing down assassins rush to burn ships without checking who owns it... WHAT? Some assassins just invested in a private business, i'll need to send some guards to sack it.

For some reason I am just reminded of 2 non PC but excellent examples.

ZombieU player plays sp, while another plays at directing hordes with a cross between a rts and a card game (ala mtg or pokemon, I'll save this exploding zombie for an alleyway)

And the DS zelda games had a guardian vs link game mode where you literally drew lines your units would follow to the limits of their interest behaviour.

How come the asymmetric game play finds a home on Nintendo systems?

In TA:Kingdoms you ended up destroying your "own" base after switching sides sometimes. I don't think it went too well with the players, though.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Eve Online and Dust 514 would feature a kind of economy vs. assault theme, though in a slightly different way.

Battlezone 1 and 2 seem to be right on the money - it's an awesome RTS/FPS hybrid by Pandemic (RIP) from the 90's with huge maps, base building and vehicular combat.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Rock of Ages is this, sans trad RTS controls.