Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Next Gen Gaming Coming, Yahoo~

Nintendo took the lead to launch their Wii U. However, with lack of comparable computing power, it alone is unable to bring up the Next Gen. But here it comes, the true Next Gen fire, ignited by Sony:

http://www.slashgear.com/playstation...vite-01262742/

Not to mention that Microsoft MUST follows suit, for it to remain in the game.

And this is an exciting news for us PC gamers too. PC game developers will need to bring PC gaming to next gen too.

Can't wait to see what ground breaking innovations will there be within these coming years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Pc don't have generations mate.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So, still no news on the actual specs then. People seem to be very quick to dismiss the power of the Wii U, claiming that these new consoles from Sony and Microsoft are going to leave it trailing behind, but I just don't see them being the massive leap in power and graphical quality that some are expecting.

The current consoles are really struggling to even do 30 FPS at 720p on the latest games, so the ludicrous expectations people are putting on the PS4 and XBox 720, where I've seen people stating that they are going to be capable of 4k resolutions, just seem like pipe dreams. More likely, we will have games being initially released running at 60 FPS 1080p with a few of the modern graphics features we see on PC (tesselation, for example.) After a few years, the graphics will be looking slightly better, but running at only 30 FPS again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Well they kinda do, just not as distinct as consoles.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    The current consoles are really struggling to even do 30 FPS at 720p on the latest games, so the ludicrous expectations people are putting on the PS4 and XBox 720, where I've seen people stating that they are going to be capable of 4k resolutions, just seem like pipe dreams. More likely, we will have games being initially released running at 60 FPS 1080p with a few of the modern graphics features we see on PC (tesselation, for example.) After a few years, the graphics will be looking slightly better, but running at only 30 FPS again.
    I dunno. The last batch were released over six years ago, and there was a nice leap from PS2 to PS3, for example. I don't see the point in them reaching beyond 1080P for now considering that's really the best standard for TV, but within that there's a lot that can be done.

I remain cautiously optimistic but casually disinterested.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    I dunno. The last batch were released over six years ago, and there was a nice leap from PS2 to PS3, for example. I don't see the point in them reaching beyond 1080P for now considering that's really the best standard for TV, but within that there's a lot that can be done.

I remain cautiously optimistic but casually disinterested.
    Remember, they will be wanting these systems to be capable of 3D too. Particular Sony, who are trying to shift their 3D TVs. That is going to be taking up quite a lot of the power that won't be being used to run these mythical next gen graphics.

Then there is an issue with cost. Much of the criticism of the Wii U has been aimed at the price. Sony and Microsoft won't be wanting to add much more than $/100 onto the Wii U's release price tag for their systems, particular as Nintendo's offering will likely have dropped below 200 for the basic pack by next Christmas and have fairly substantial backlog of games, making it more enticing then the competition's high priced consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Not to mention that Microsoft MUST follows suit, for it to remain in the game.
    MS has started a mystery countdown too nao.

I hope that at least one of the "next gen" consoles is a powerhouse, available without gimmicks.
    On the other hand if both have lame hardware, maybe many console gamers will go PC.
    Last edited by bad guy; 03-01-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    You know what I do wonder if they are flogging a dead horse with consoles now a days, I mean dedicated gaming systems are i don't think the way to go any more with the explosion of tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Remember, they will be wanting these systems to be capable of 3D too. Particular Sony, who are trying to shift their 3D TVs. That is going to be taking up quite a lot of the power that won't be being used to run these mythical next gen graphics.

Then there is an issue with cost. Much of the criticism of the Wii U has been aimed at the price. Sony and Microsoft won't be wanting to add much more than $/100 onto the Wii U's release price tag for their systems, particular as Nintendo's offering will likely have dropped below 200 for the basic pack by next Christmas and have fairly substantial backlog of games, making it more enticing then the competition's high priced consoles.
    PS3 already can do 3D games. Don't know if that has been a big win for Sony. I finally have a 3D capable TV but haven't given it a shot yet, though I think at least one game in my catalog will work.

But you're right, price IS an issue for the viability of console games in general. iPhone, Android, and etc tablet games are priced so very, very low that entertainment is cheap nowadays. Part of what made the original Wii such a success was the "one in every home" price point. But that also meant dated hardware.

Sony's philosophy has been price high and let early adopters subsidize later expansion. They peel off the people willing to pay $500, then $400, then $300, then $250... I don't think it worked as well for them against the x360 as it did in prior generations. The key is install base.

How about a model like what Amazon uses for their Kindle? Pay a lower amount for an ad-supported version. Pay a higher amount for an ad-free version. Or buy the ad-supported version first and then pay extra later to remove the ads? Could be one way to lower the up-front cost for a console.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Anyone going to CES, maybe even has a private invitation to something involving a certain box?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    of course they do!

CGA DOS - The C stands for "Crap"
    VGA DOS - Finally, colours.
    Win 95 GDI - Dos is better than this sh*t
    VOODOO COMBO BREAKER! - My eyes! So beautiful! It BURNS! 3DFX FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Win 98 Directx 7 - Ok, now we're getting somewhere
    Geforce GPU - wtf is a gpu?
    Directx 8 - Shaders, nice!
    Directx 9.0c - SHADERNOVA
    Intel Core 2 Duo, Directx 10, Vista - Pentium 4's scream in agony at Vista's crushing embrace

We're still basically in the Core 2 duo / vista / dx10 generation even though we're at Core i7 / dx11 / Win8. I say we're still there because there hasn't been a fundamental shift in the technology from 2006, just improvements.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    of course they do!

CGA DOS - The C stands for "Crap"
    VGA DOS - Finally, colours.
    Win 95 GDI - Dos is better than this sh*t
    VOODOO COMBO BREAKER! - My eyes! So beautiful! It BURNS! 3DFX FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Win 98 Directx 7 - Ok, now we're getting somewhere
    Geforce GPU - wtf is a gpu?
    Directx 8 - Shaders, nice!
    Directx 9.0c - SHADERNOVA
    Intel Core 2 Duo, Directx 10, Vista - Pentium 4's scream in agony at Vista's crushing embrace

We're still basically in the Core 2 duo / vista / dx10 generation even though we're at Core i7 / dx11 / Win8. I say we're still there because there hasn't been a fundamental shift in the technology from 2006, just improvements.
    I see nothing but a list of homogeneity.

But yes, there are larger increments and smaller increments of change within PCs. Generally the spans are shorter than "generations" of consoleboxes... but that doesn't mean that things don't make leaps. I've spent most of my life wanting a computer better than what I have. Have gone years at a time not feeling that way about my gaming console.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    But yes, there are larger increments and smaller increments of change within PCs. Generally the spans are shorter than "generations" of consoleboxes... but that doesn't mean that things don't make leaps. I've spent most of my life wanting a computer better than what I have. Have gone years at a time not feeling that way about my gaming console.
    The reason you can put consoles into generations is because the hardware and underlying tech change every time. Doesn't really work with PC since it's rare that the architecture needs to change these days. Or rather I'd say the PC itself was a generation, as opposed to the client - mainframe machines of the seventies. I doubt the PC will hit 'next gen' until quantum computing gets anywhere.

PC has generations in it's GPU architecture.
    Of course 8800gt to9800gt wasn't a new generation, but Fermi was.

Network Hub
    I think PCs do have generations too, mate, but they do come in the form of component specifications... also, we don't usually call them "generations" but "upgrades." Well, it's just my opinion... in a much vaguer sense new generation consoles are simply upgrades of previous ones.

Here we go:

steam: sketch

8GB DDR5 on board. Not bad.

Obscure Node
    This is actually great news. If the next Sony consoletoy is just a regular x86 system shoddy performing ports should be a thing of the past. The next GTA may even perform well a launch!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Oh, look: games we won't be getting any time soon because Sony threw a large cheque at the developer, #1 of $MANY: The Witness. Fan-bloody-tastic.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Heeeh.

Visually impressive. Really, 8GDDR5 is great.