Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Am I right in thinking that the stated 8GB of memory is shared? As in combined system and graphics memory? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, if the architecture is done right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Oh, look: games we won't be getting any time soon because Sony threw a large cheque at the developer, #1 of $MANY: The Witness. Fan-bloody-tastic.
    "This is the first official trailer for the upcoming game The Witness, to be released on the PC, iOS, and PlayStation 4... and eventually, several other platforms."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    That Capcom game was the best. David Cage was the worst by default, closely followed by Media Molecule's ending video.
    "Social" can go fuck itself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the stated 8GB of memory is shared? As in combined system and graphics memory?
    I think so.

Okay, well, I have plenty of mixed views on what was shown, but some of the services sound pretty neat. Watch Dogs and Destiny footage was nice to see. Looking at the cost though, I'm expecting another FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    "his latest game, The Witness, is headed exclusively to Sony's PlayStation 4"

Exclusive at launch to PS4 it seems, with wider release (presumably) at some later date. I stand by my exasperation.

The way they introduced it, something like "Debuting on PS4" made it sound it was going to be a timed exclusive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Whether that means, we are first debuting the game to the public on PS4 I don't know. I see no reason why Activision would not want Xbox in it too.
    steam: sketch

Activision dumps pretty much every game on PC and doesn't bother with proprietary digital platforms.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Diablo 3 for PS3/PS4... single player and local 4 player couch co op.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I still fail to understand how hack 'n' slash could possibly work on console.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

I got the demo for TL1 on XBLA. The interface was a bit cumbersome, but the actual gameplay was absolutely fine. Left stick moved, right stick held in a direction activated used your weapon, you could map a few moves to face buttons and with the triggers you could have some shift moves. A picked up everything else. Honestly, the game works fine, it's just a case of getting the interface and menu sorted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Snowblind games (Baldur's gate, Champions of Norrath) and the later War in the North(not as good) worked great.

Diablo 1 was... interesting on console but playable. 2d art and 10 directional movement was a bit harder with a controller.

Hard to think of others right now but as JG man said, its down to the interface and menu.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Not to mention D3 only has 6 active skills at any time, so perfectly mappable to a controller.

Sacred 2 had 12 on consoles and worked fine. Holding the bumpers and triggers opens up many combinations.
    Sometimes I wish I could play D3 with a controller because I lose track of the cursor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    To be honest, that was mostly drunk me talking anyway.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Graphics take the front seat for interactivity and strategy (aka gameplay) take a backseat.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Actually what defines PC gaming? I wonder. I am surprised to see that even RPS editors referred to this new Playstation as a PC just because it will use x86 CPU. Technically it just makes it a IBM-compatible PC (ironically IBM no longer manufactures IBM-compatible computers. It is making PowerPC which is not IBM-compatible). It make absolutely no business sense to custom make a gaming system with games which can be run on other platforms easily. Sony must have developed something unique for their platform.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Actually what defines PC gaming? I wonder. I am surprised to see that even RPS editors referred to this new Playstation as a PC just because it will use x86 CPU. Technically it just makes it a IBM-compatible PC (ironically IBM no longer manufactures IBM-compatible computers. It is making PowerPC which is not IBM-compatible). It make absolutely no business sense to custom make a gaming system with games which can be run on other platforms easily. Sony must have developed something unique for their platform.
    There's a lot of business sense in allowing your console to be ported to easily. There aren't many big games that are exclusive now and if the version that comes to your hardware is terrible because it's completely alien to most developers and the other platforms available then you'll miss a sale to anyone who has a choice of platforms. Multi-platform is so common now that I imagine publishers have pushed Sony and Microsoft towards standardisation because it's not in their interest for each console to have its own crazy architecture.

To me, PC is about hardware choice and lack of a central authority/licensing system to again access. Even if the console was just a PC in a shiny box, Sony only allow certain games to be released on it and everyone knows exactly what hardware they're developing for when they make a Playstation game.

I'll probably end up with a PS4 for the same reason I ended up with a PS3 - Sony maintain enough exclusives that appeal to me to make the purchase worthwhile. I can't say I care greatly about specs and comparisons with what Microsoft or my PC can do; I buy multi-platform on PC where possible but I want to play Sony's games and Playstation is the only place to do that.

I am looking forward to the video recording they've shown, though I hope it's built into the system and not game dependent like their Youtube export was. The idea that I can stop what I'm doing and make a screenshot or video of the thing I just did is hugely appealing. Stuff happens in games that I'd like to show people but unless I press the button at the right moment it's gone, which means screenshots tend to be of static things. I guess I could buy some box to record the feed from my PC but I suspect an integrated system like Sony are going for will be much easier to use for what I want.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Actually what defines PC gaming? I wonder.
    PC gaming is terrain.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I think the comparisons to being a PC is based off the architectural similarities and its components; you could probably 'build a PS4', albeit not exactly. We know it's somewhere around a 7850/7870 for GPU, that even with (8gb) DDR5 ram, we can get something similar, or at least put in 8gb DDR3 and be done and as for processors, well, the octocore they've got isn't best-in-slot, but it means support of multi-cores should increase. Or, put it this way; with the PS3 they went a specific route with their architecture (something they actually acknowledged as a mistake in the conference) and are now going with a more homogeneous set of hardware pieces. The compatibility between the 360 and the PC was a boon for the two as ports could easily be done. Now more can go multi-way (and considering how similar the Xbox 3 is rumoured to be to the confirmed PS4 specs...) so you'd almost be designing it for slightly different PC specs, as opposed to "This console is built on something completely differently."

Ultimately you have to draw the line somewhere; you could make a reasoned argument that powerful enough tablets are PCs (Surface?) I reckon, as it's just hardware at the end of the day.