Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
There are advantages for both approaches. Looking at how much more expensive a PC is compared to any console, it kind of hurts that we don't really get "anything" for it. And one can easily argue that this lack of new tech is one of the causes of so many "samey" feeling games
Well, I don't know if the lack of new tech really applies here, because we are getting "different" games from both the AAA and indie sectors lately without massive jumps. They're few and far between though because I think everyone is adverse to risk. Even in the indie sector a lot of devs are playing it safe, watching what works and trying to cash in on it. "Oh hey Limbo is a shadow puppet platformer, let's make a platformer, people like that, right?" Though I guess I'm also including things like XCOM which are relics of the past brought back in a time when they're not widely popular game types. But since everyone (indies included) seem to be remaking the 90s I guess it doesn't matter.

We have the capacity, but we aren't. At most, we get a bit nicer resolution and a higher FPS which isn't too noticeable in the grand scheme of things. And anyone who DOES push the envelope gets their game branded a "tech demo".
Oh I'd argue that 1080p makes a big difference. I can't play my 360 at 720p. It looks like a blurry mess. Also I'm one of those people who don't like game framerates below 30. The PC being able to push 1080p at 60fps is a big improvement. Yes, games that push get labelled a tech demo. But Crytek know that Crysis is a benchmarking tool, and it was basically Far Cry except with the US, DPRK, and aliens instead of Hawaiian shirt guy, mercs, and biohorrorterrors.

Not at all. Apple upgrades VERY regularly and has little to no fragmentation. ... It is safe to assume that Ouya would be controlling the OS to at least ensure that every Ouya has the same version available (to whatever extent they can).
But if they're releasing to take advantage of higher end hardware, doesn't that preclude running it on the lower end hardware? Or if not preclude, then make the experience inferior? It seems to me that they're trying to have their cake and eat it too. I'm guessing they're going to make some compromises to keep things backwards compatible, which makes me wonder if it's worth the effort.

I also question it given that we don't even know if the Ouya will really find a decent market. Devs saying they'll support X before X or their game is released is all well and good, but if nobody can find a use for it then they're wasting their time figuring out an upgrade cycle like this. Again it seems like a vote of no confidence in their release in some ways, like they know that people will put it on the shelf like a neglected Nintendo Wii, unless they can convince people to keep buying a new one because hey new stuff!