Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

[HabitRPG] Looking for Group to improve ourselves IRL

A few weeks back I've created an account to HabitRPG ( https://habitrpg.com ), which is a website (+ mobile app) to apply gamification to your life. Once you've created an account, you can set yourself some daily tasks to perform, habits (negative one you want to get rid off, or good ones you want to do more) and todos.

Then the RPG aspect kicks in. In your account you have an avatar, with a level (+ associated XP bar) and a health bar which is affected by your self-reported progress :
    - When you do your dailies, perform a good habit, or finish a todo, you get rewarded by gold and XP
    - When you miss a daily, or get back into a bad habit, you lose health.
    - With your gold, you can buy items to boost your stats, which improves rewards you get (sword), limit damage you take if you fail (armor), heal you (potions), ...

That's the basic aspect of it. It doesn't work for everything (for me, dailies work great, habits less so), but it definitely helped me improve (for example : getting to bed before 23H30 is one of my daily).

However, there is another element that can help people to improve : peer pressure. HabitRPG does include it, in a great way.

You can set up a party with other users, and go on a quest, where what every member of the party do will help or hinder the quest. For example if you're fighting a boss, when someone miss a daily, everyone in the party lose health (and yes, everyone in the party can die if one or 2 people are too careless). On the other hand, every time you perform a good thing, the boss takes damage. There are also some additional stuff like spells you can use to buff your party, debuff the boss, or heal the party.

So, I'm looking for some giraffes that would be interested to try HabitRPG out. If some of you pick it up, maybe a few will find it useful enough to keep at it. Then, later on, we would be able to set up a party and perform the quests. Partying with strangers is possible in HabitRPG, but i would find even better if i could do it with such an awesome group of people as the RPS community

A few additional notes :
    - Creating an account is free, and all the basic functions are free, but the site uses a system similar to F2P games. There is a hard currency (diamond) that you can only buy with dollars which is used to pay for cosmetics items and pets.
    - I know this thread should in the general "gaming" forum, but i wanted to check interest in that thing that is not an actual game before eventually moving it in the greater RPS community.
    - It's also possible to create guilds in HabitRPG. As far as i know, it's mostly a place to chat in HabitRPG between like minded people, but if there is enough interest, we could set up an RPS guild (could help to set up new parties)
    - If you're like me and are worried about privacy issues : I asked people in the game chat, and they replied that it's not possible for your party members to know what are your dailies/tasks. They only know whether you did them or not (and the associated results for the quest). So if you have some habits you want to keep track of but don't want people to know about them, you should be OK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Hmm, sounds interesting! I've tried some similar things such as Lift etc, but the RPGS aspect might be just what's needed to keep the interest. I'll give it a go, sure.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Network Hub
    This seems pretty cool. I try to adhere to a schedule as much as I can, but getting SCORNED by Giraffes might be what I need.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Sounds interesting, but im way too lazy to keep up with any habits or routines.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Sounds interesting, but im way too lazy to keep up with any habits or routines.
    Bit of a paradox, surely if you weren't too lazy you wouldn't need to gamify the process to begin with? You sound like the perfect demographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

OK, I created a profile under the same name as I usually use. Looking to install the iPhone app and see whether the tracking seems simple enough for this thing to work out.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    OK, I created a profile under the same name as I usually use. Looking to install the iPhone app and see whether the tracking seems simple enough for this thing to work out.
    I personally use the Android app (which apparently came out after the iOS one) and it's OK. It's barebone, but allows me to check in my tasks without fuss.

Activated Node
    I'll give it a go, maybe it will curb some of my procrastination.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Bit of a paradox, surely if you weren't too lazy you wouldn't need to gamify the process to begin with? You sound like the perfect demographic.
    Nah, my point was that even with the incentive of it being a game, I cant be arsed to do things regularly in a way that would make this thing meaningful.
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

could you cheat in an attempt to get a world first boss kill

So 2 weeks in, has anyone picked up HabitRPG, and found it useful ?

Picked it up. About to die. Might still work, though.

Picked it up. About to die. Might still work, though.
    Damn, did you set yourself 34978034943 different tasks to do, or do you have poor impulse control ?

You're gonna have to be perfect until you reach level 2 (levelling up refill your health)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Maybe Eso has to see at least one character die before he changes his ways... the awesome power of guilt.

Yeah, well, I managed to register just before going away on that London trip, which made both performing and reporting my dailies very hard. Then I just suck at doing my dailies, really...

Yeah, well, I managed to register just before going away on that London trip, which made both performing and reporting my dailies very hard. Then I just suck at doing my dailies, really...
    Fyi, when you go on vacations, you can put your character in the tavern. Dailies and tasks won't trigger while in the tavern.

What about if you actually worked In a Tavern? Technically you could just put your character in the tavern and not be accused of ignoring your duties. :P
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Fyi, when you go on vacations, you can put your character in the tavern. Dailies and tasks won't trigger while in the tavern.
    Good tip, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Crap, I wish I'd asked about this because I've purposely not signed up as I'm away right now (and I'm often in situations where I might need to take breaks from this type of thing). Good to know - I'll be looking into it properly and signing up when I'm back

I've signed up for this. Do we have some sort of guild set up?