Page 3 of 294 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Whilst the [RPS] outfit is pulling a dozen+ people any given night and 40+ on outing nights, I kinda don't care whether PS2 has 100,000 or 10,000 players. There's still more than enough tofill a continent of people to shoot at with my lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Banned
    Enough to fill one continent, you mean? Out of three?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Yes, one is usually full (where the big zergs are), and the two others are not. Mohorovicic, I know you hate the game and wish to see it's downfall, but PS2 is doing fine. Could it be and do better? Certainly. There's still loads of people to play with and constant huge battles raging, so I see no risk of it going belly up soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    The only time I've ever played and found few people on was very early on either Christmas or Boxing day, I forget which. And I really enjoyed it, as it started out with me and literally two or three others having tense little hide and seek games with a handful of enemies, who mostly came at us one or two at a time. Over the next two hours or so, the numbers soon built up to the usual large scale assaults.

I've seen no indication that Planetside 2 is flagging. Shock horror, the people who played it for nine million hours before it even launched have some complaints about the finer details of efficient grinding. In a game where any Rank 1 player can kill any rank 45 player, where 200 people can shoot at each other in real time, where everyone has free access to jetpacks or cloaking devices, where "travel" can mean dropping out of the atmosphere in a pod or flying on anti-gravity catapults, there are people insisting the game needs work because killing gives 100xp while healing only gives 30 and this is less efficient than yaaaaaaawn.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Yes, one is usually full (where the big zergs are), and the two others are not. Mohorovicic, I know you hate the game and wish to see it's downfall, but PS2 is doing fine.
    So you freely admit that servers are at best about 1/3 populated but the game is "doing fine".

Fanboy logic.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent
    In a game where any Rank 1 player can kill any rank 45 player, where 200 people can shoot at each other in real time, where everyone has free access to jetpacks or cloaking devices, where "travel" can mean dropping out of the atmosphere in a pod or flying on anti-gravity catapults, there are people insisting the game needs work because killing gives 100xp while healing only gives 30 and this is less efficient than yaaaaaaawn.
    That, I don't even know. It's like textbook example of a casual trying to make an argument. "I am having fun and WOW YOU CAN JUMP SUPER HIGH ON THESE GLOWY THINGS so the game as a whole is perfect and does great".

You know what, I'm saving this, it's so bad.

Why did you assume the other continents were empty? Do you even play on Miller? There's always a fight on every continent, it just might be that there's 1000-1500 people on Amerish and Esamir respectively, and 2000 on Indar. There used to be queues that were very long - it's currently much better, yes. There are still massive fights and continents are populated, it's just not as it was on launch when all continents were full all the time. I suspect even more people will drop off in the coming months, and the game will still do totally fine.

Thank you for coming with your hardcore 1337 skill knowledge to help us casuals though, what would we do without smug jerks like you to tell us what's right and wrong.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 07-01-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Medics are better off with Flak. If you own Bio, you're better with Flak. If you use the slow-healing medkits in combat, you're better with Flak. Why? Maths.

Also, the Adrenaline thing for LA is horrible. It's 10% speed boost... on sprint only. If you want to be a shotgun gremlin don't sprint, fly and rain shotgun on your enemies.
    Suppose I can't argue with maths.

But I can argue with your assessment of the sprint module- momentum prior to jetpacking is retained for a while, the sprint function means your jetpack escapes are slightly faster. Plus, a shotgun gremlin isn't hiding on roofs anyways- he's in your face, and sticks to buildings.

If an enemy can't catch up to me to shoot me, then I don't get hit at all, which is the best armor.
    casual
    Ah, I've found the issue.

Seems more like spike and stabilization for BLOPS and CS:Go and steady decline for PS2 to me...
    Erm... yeah... sure.

But I can see what you're doing here... if someone desperately wants to thrash something to death, there's no way stopping him. Eventually shit will happen and the haters will be there going "I told you so!". Well... whatever. As long as I'm having fun, I'll keep playing

a casual
    Source of problem identified. Execute maneouvre: "Eye roll".

Oh, and if you're going to just flat out invent things and claim I've said them, you can pretty much piss off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    To get back on track again, this was a pretty interesting article about how to promote "good play" through scoring mechanisms (other than KDR):
    http://www.ps2.riptidegaming.com/?p=8

I especially liked the poster's point on how score as an abstract thing can be defined and tweaked by devs to promote support roles, and how the various sources that contributed to one's score could be presented in pie charts, for instance.

I must admit, I was quite surprised when I eventually found the leaderboards and that (speaking of which, they don't seem to appear for me any more, and haven't for months), and there was no tracking of, say, healing, or turrets repaired, or all the sorts of things that TF2 tracks. I dunno how much work that'd be to implement, but it seems a lot easier and less problematic than faffing about rebalancing how xp is gained.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    I must admit, I was quite surprised when I eventually found the leaderboards and that (speaking of which, they don't seem to appear for me any more, and haven't for months), and there was no tracking of, say, healing, or turrets repaired, or all the sorts of things that TF2 tracks. I dunno how much work that'd be to implement, but it seems a lot easier and less problematic than faffing about rebalancing how xp is gained.
    They have to be able to track how much xp you make repairing, healing, hacking, etc.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Banned
    Do you even play on Miller?
    You do realize that Miller is an exception because it was the european beta server right? All other servers look pretty much the same: NC takes Amerish with 50%+ pop, VS takes Esamir with 50%+ pop, and only real big fight you can have is on Indar, because even if a faction has an advantage they'd rather sit on the Crown and farm than actually fight for land. Other two servers though - run and cap empty bases.

(Of course, whether you'd really want to have a big fight in the first place is arguable, since whenever player count exceeds the size of a good Battlefield brawl the game drops framerates faster than thai ladyboy pants, seemingly no matter how beefy your PC is. Truly a marvelous self-regulating mechanism)

US servers are even more fucked up because of the Faction Wars which for some incomprehensible reason takes place on three different servers. So one US server has something like 50% TR pop(not per continent - total), one 50% VS pop, and one 50% NC pop, because of the huge fanboy following the three stooges have.

Meanwhile, SOE just started their fourth week of Christmas vacation.

(Of course, whether you'd really want to have a big fight in the first place is arguable, since whenever player count exceeds the size of a good Battlefield brawl the game drops framerates faster than thai ladyboy pants, seemingly no matter how beefy your PC is. Truly a marvelous self-regulating mechanism)
    Not for me. Did you try switching off shadows?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I run the game maxed out on a 670 with an i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz. I have no problem playing in big fights, lowest FPS goes for any consistent time is about 35. Normally around 50. The game is unoptimized however.

OK, too bad you're on a shitty server then. Come to Miller. I don't really keep track of how other servers are doing as that has no effect on me what so ever.

I agree that the Empire Battle Thing is idiotic. Regarding SOE having time off, they're doing the same thing DICE did post BF3, which was not that great and/or smart. Seeing as the game actually works I can live with that though. DICE left BF3 last year around this time in a state of shambles with massive, massive balance issues, constant CTD crashes and with constant mouse smoothing that made the game totally unplayable.

PS2 is nothing of the sort and is working well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That, I don't even know. It's like textbook example of a casual trying to make an argument. "I am having fun and WOW YOU CAN JUMP SUPER HIGH ON THESE GLOWY THINGS so the game as a whole is perfect and does great".

You know what, I'm saving this, it's so bad.
    Yes, of course - a sense of wonder and fun in a game is a terrible thing. What an unpleasant, joyless person you must be Mohorovicic.
    Last edited by Everblue; 07-01-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    You do realize that Miller is an exception because it was the european beta server right?
    Wot?

Like all the servers Miller was re-named at launch. Everyone had their characters wiped. Which means everyone started up on whichever server they chose.

The only thing that sets Miller apart was that certain outfits decided to set-up there. There was no major annoucement that "beta players are going to Miller". It was suggested here and there, but never with enough fanfare that every single beta tester saw it.

The other EU servers are full of beta players.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

SOE went back to work yesterday by the way. Meetings have been had and announcements are coming soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    SOE went back to work yesterday by the way. Meetings have been had and announcements are coming soon.
    Source for that is https://twitter.com/planetside2, I presume? A good Twitter feed for anyone who is geniunely interested in PS2, I'd say.

Yup, that's the one.

Should have a post out to you guys tomorrow afternoon with info about this month's update.
    https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/288524591905796096

I don't know ameritime but I guess that means late tonight?