Page 10 of 305 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    The render distance used to be fine since infantry couldn't really kill aircraft at long distances so it was basically "fair". But now when the lock-on missiles work infantry can lock on and kill many vehicles before the pilot/driver is even able to retaliate, as seen when we tried to push north from west highlands on indar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Frankly, none of these nerfs would have been any issue at all if they just fixed the fucking render distance where you can spot/see/hit infantry.
    I believe that is difficult though. There's simply so much going on at once in this game. There might be simplifications that can be done that they haven't already tried, but I suppose this has got to be one of the really big technical issues they have had to tackle. I can also imagine that they are loath to let people with more capable computers get better rendering distances just because they can handle it. It would be quite an advantage in a fight, if the enemy rendered before you rendered for them...

Short version is; I think this is going to be tricky to manage, other than in small increments over time, unless there's some fidelity filtering angle they haven't tried yet.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    does that mean the lasher is actually useful now?
    Fuck yes! It's really great when you've got groups of enemies (like most of yesterday, especially around Saerro), or if they stick close to walls, because of the splash damage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    The thing is: I swear the render distance never used to be this bad during the beta.

I used to get infantry "pop up" in a scythe; but no where near as bad as it is now where it's under 100m that they appear.

I've started getting pop-in when I'm on foot now. The other day at Eisa tech I exited a building and ran towards an outcrop. It was no more than 25m away; sprinting distance. I even peeked out the door to check it was clear. Started legging it and at about 20m away a MAX and 5 NC infantry popped into existence.

I've been noticing occasions like this more and more often during busy fights. It really needs to be sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Well they need to fix it, fuck everything about flying in to a base and being burstered down in three seconds without seeing ANY of the people shooting at you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I've started getting pop-in when I'm on foot now. The other day at Eisa tech I exited a building and ran towards an outcrop. It was no more than 25m away; sprinting distance. I even peeked out the door to check it was clear. Started legging it and at about 20m away a MAX and 5 NC infantry popped into existence.

I've been noticing occasions like this more and more often during busy fights. It really needs to be sorted.
    I too noticed this happening for the first time in the last few days. At first I thought it was down to it being unusually busy, now I'm wondering if it is part of the optimisation for CPUs SOE have been talking about lately. Hopefully it's not the latter.

Well they need to fix it, fuck everything about flying in to a base and being burstered down in three seconds without seeing ANY of the people shooting at you.
    dont turn into mohorovic
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Three maxes killing a lib in one run? Scythe maybe, but not lib. I suspect, you need about 6 or 7 of maxes to down a lib with one full double burster clip.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Trying to

I love the game, but I see air just getting constant nerfs. I think the AA sales and AA buffs really fixed the problem, this was unnecessary.

edit: Or well, Zephyr and Dalton nerfs were needed. It's the other nerfs that effect ESFs as well that I don't agree with. Rocket pods were nerfed, fine, flak was buffed, so was AA missiles and other stuff as well as there have been sales, so now it's really easy to set up a no fly zone for ESFs.

Erm... well, they just did fix/increase the rendering distance for Max. You got to give them that.

Trying to

I love the game, but I see air just getting constant nerfs. I think the AA sales and AA buffs really fixed the problem, this was unnecessary.

edit: Or well, Zephyr and Dalton nerfs were needed. It's the other nerfs that effect ESFs as well that I don't agree with. Rocket pods were nerfed, fine, flak was buffed, so was AA missiles and other stuff as well as there have been sales, so now it's really easy to set up a no fly zone for ESFs.
    I dont think its that bad yet, though. Im pretty sure that libs vs AA is still a considerable combat. Either way, if you give us AA targets to take out, well prioritise them with the giraffes on the terrain.

PS: does the zoom make the rendering further? Or does the max visibility not change if you zoom in?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    PS: does the zoom make the rendering further? Or does the max visibility not change if you zoom in?
    I don't think so. It just zooms in to what is already rendered, from what I recall.

I dont think its that bad yet, though. Im pretty sure that libs vs AA is still a considerable combat.
    Not sure what you mean to sayt with that last sentence, Cat, but man, playing in the air squad tonight was tough. I, for one, find it hard to keep my aircraft up for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Not sure what you mean to sayt with that last sentence, Cat, but man, playing in the air squad tonight was tough. I, for one, find it hard to keep my aircraft up for very long.
    I meant it should be relatively even. But I guess you guys tested that out. I was never sure if delta was in real trouble or not, but I am sure you guys saved the day. There should be giraffe for that!

Also, squads and their leadership were excellent, thank you for playing and I hope you had fun!

My highlight was the lightning rush
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Delta did fine but you can't do anything over a well defended tech plant. We were never really useful during any of hour 30 minute long tech plant assaults.

IR for air is useless (DO NOT PUT ON LIB) now if you're not a very close flying Scythe with plenty of support. Saw that after 4 hours of flying tonight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Maybe it means they sound more serious.
    Sounds like bullet drop was added to them, which is nice.

(Also I totally called it)

Well... if someone has some good ideas concerning the "metagame", there's your chance:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/17/pl...esign-meeting/

After (during the last few weeks) I came to the conclusion that players are the real problem with MMOs, I hope, they'll filter that stuff thoroughly But a bit of crowdsourcing might not be a bad idea after all.

Also, new facility walls:
    https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/29...369025/photo/1

This is an excellent idea! There's hope for this game, if this is the attitude the devs are taking. Really like the ideas in the invitational video. Sounds like it would make a big difference t how the gameplay flows.

Also, Ridebird; good job yesterday, it was fun, although utterly frustrating at times, but that's mostly due to my own inaptitude at flying and the enemy's love of bursters and ESFs. (And tankbursters!)

oh oh oh, do you think SMGs will be the new secondary gun?!
    They didn't say anything about that, but they did confirm that SMGs are going to be from Nanite Systems, meaning not faction-specific, and that they are going to be usable by all classes, except MAX of course. Source (around 6:15): http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/357986747

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TehK View Post
    players are the real problem with MMOs

Can not be emphasised enough. I've written about it and everything.

The developers do seem pretty clued in, though. I'm quite impressed with the effort they've been making to gather and consider feedback.

Wuh..? Is there a joke I'm missing here, or are those walls identical?

Edit: Oh wait, I see, there's a bit more cover up there. More splash targets for tanks, woo.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 18-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.