Page 166 of 318 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 6358
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    I'm starting to wish vehicles had a totally different role in PS2. Imagine if MBTs and lightnings cost like 600 resources and could actually perform the role of a tank (taking lots of fire). It would then be exciting to encounter one and have to work together to bring it down and a whole column of them would be terrifying (but very rare).
    Wasn't this sort of how it worked in original PlanetSide?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    One major difference is that in PSOne main battle tanks required a dedicated driver. Except for our fabulous Magrider, that is. I also seem to remember them taking a lot more punishment than they do in PSTwo, but that may just be my Rose Tinted Glasses of Nostalgic Remembrance +2.

I think they were a bit trickier to spawn though, weren't they?
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Well, the devs wanted everybody to have access to everything. People told them that it was a bad idea but they didn't listen. As they did with almost everything else like lattice, the resource system etc. But I doubt they will come around on this one. That would be the final confession that almost all designs regarding player progression and interaction were shit.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bonkers, havent they really admitted that anyway by changing almost everything already? But yes, PS1 seems better in almost all regards alas.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Tanks lasted longer in ps1, but that was probably just in line with the longer ttk in ps1 all around. Tanks were also made poet much irrelevant whenever a bfr showed up. The mag also had a much more limited role back then composed to the van and prowler. you just merged a tech plant to pull mbts but they also had a 20 minute cool down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar

This is a great video demonstrating teamwork and good comms practices. It's a defence at BL-4 by a 10 strong squad, with 5 screens showing. A bit disorienting at first, but you get used to it.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 31-12-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Good video. They work well together for sure. I think there are several differences between this and [RPS]'s top level play:

* We tend to defend a point by staying at it whereas they ran around between points.
    * They used a heavy, we tend to use maxes instead. I think this provides more evidence to support the case for having one heavy as standard.
    * They had only two people talking for most of the video. Our comms use changes a lot depending on how we're playing but we usually have more people talking. I think it works well to have (as they did) a single vocal leader with others only calling out something that the leader could not know (e.g. max crash coming from somewhere unexpected).
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    What TrooperWally said.

Also, I really liked the lone heavy in the big room, covering the bridges. Prevented a lot of flanking, and stepped one whenever a serious push was coming below the big stairs, to fire a couple of decimators.

Great play, and that wouldn't be possible without good communication. Got called out when needed, and lack of call outs implicitly meant that his rear was secure.

Obscure Node
    That was a beautiful video.

Really well co-ordinated from squad composition to everyone knowing exactly what they are supposed to be doing to tight, tactical comms. This type of play is far more hardcore than RPS is about so we shouldn't be too disappointed when we make comparisons to our own play.

Apparently it's double xp at the moment:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...double_xp_has/

Can anyone confirm?

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Yes I can. And I will. It's double XP!
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Confirmed by Sony or just rumours?

Bread?

Apparently now fixed:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...bility.544238/

But I know very little about combatting DDoS so have now idea if you can 'fix' something like this or if it has simply stopped (because they only hired the botnet for a short time perhaps?). Also, RadarX (SoE guy) posted on the official forums that any posts about hacking groups would be removed. Not clear to me why that would be it tells us that SoE are sensitive about discussion of hacking so aren't likely to go confirming it even if it were happening.

Wally is now on Steam!

Since a DDOS is basically a lot of incoming data from multiple sources (in case of an attack it'd garbage data coming from bot networks), there is no way to fix it.

However you can mitigate the consequences to your infrastructure to allow normal services to resume.

From your users point of view that fixes or reduces the problem. From your point of view you will still fight it till it ends, with a setup dedicated to handling the problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Apparently now fixed:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/...bility.544238/

But I know very little about combatting DDoS so have now idea if you can 'fix' something like this or if it has simply stopped (because they only hired the botnet for a short time perhaps?). Also, RadarX (SoE guy) posted on the official forums that any posts about hacking groups would be removed. Not clear to me why that would be it tells us that SoE are sensitive about discussion of hacking so aren't likely to go confirming it even if it were happening.
    They got hacked a while ago and lost tons of account details, hence I can imagine that the PR machine once again is in full swing to stop any news about this event.

And yes, you can only mitigate such an attack and not really stop it.

Bread?

Network Hub
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...Fl6pPc.twitter

Double xp extended. Don't know if the game is now playable now though i know the member sales items aren't showing up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I doubt SOE will admit that happened. They said on Facebook it was a known, existing hardware fault. But someone has said it was them, and they're known for taking down LoL amongst other things lately.

I get that ddos isn't something preventable and only something one can mitigate but some honesty on it would have been nice.

Also as a point, ddos isn't hacking. It'll just be some person or people with access to a massive bot network.

Network Hub
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ership.166053/

Changes to the membership bonus. I personally prefer the SC as otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get anything in the Xmas sales. This 1 item mo th is just to get members back to buying SC.....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    That's crap. What if you're on a year bundle and it just changes?

Shame they probably won't include player studio. Those are the best items.

Also "one single item valued up to 2000 SC" - item prices are gonna increase I'd guess...