Page 185 of 276 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 5515
  1. #3681
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,041
    New faction specific sniper rifles. VS: charge up mechanic, well fucking great! [/sarcasm] Also they have scrapped the recon drone for the inf update, which was the most exciting thing imo. But fair enough, they want to spend more time making it a bigger feature.

    New kill screen: what the actual fuck? Who wants to be scored for their previous 'life'? Does this really contribute to what makes the game enjoyable? Also find the idea of marking your killer on the minimap a bit irritating. PS2 isn't a big team deathmatch.

    Hopefully the new resource system will resupply you from all adjacent bases when attacking, not just the closest one, as they suggest in that post. How annoying would it be to be resource starved on the attack due to everyone resupplying from the same base, while 10m up the road you can get full resupply from a different base? It would also be nice to give larger adjacency the bigger benefit of more supply for everyone.

    Ranting aside, the new resource system should be great. Once Hossin and continent locking is in as well Planetside will be a very different place.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 01-02-2014 at 11:58 AM.

  2. #3682
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    New faction specific sniper rifles. VS: charge up mechanic, well fucking great! [/sarcasm]
    It sounds interesting though. Semi-auto, with the option to charge up to bolt action damage, and heat mechanic instead of ammo, which sounds like Mass Effect 1. It all depends on the implementation. We'll see when it gets released on the PTS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Also they have scrapped the recon drone for the inf update, which was the most exciting thing imo. But fair enough, they want to spend more time making it a bigger feature.
    The wording indicates that they still plan to implement it, but not strictly for infiltrators. Just making an assumption, perhaps as part of a leadership revamp? It would make sense for SLs/PLs to have access to such a tool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    New kill screen: what the actual fuck? Who wants to be scored for their previous 'life'? Does this really contribute to what makes the game enjoyable? Also find the idea of marking your killer on the minimap a bit irritating. PS2 isn't a big team deathmatch.
    The argument is that they are trying to teach newer players situational awareness, pay a bit more attention to their minimap, and also give them a reminder of their progression and goals (directives, missions, etc). I'd like various stealth abilities to apply though: suppressed weapons, cloaks, stealth should not show up on the kill screen minimap.

  3. #3683
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    886
    those sniper rifle ideas certainly sound more interesting than what they came up with initially.

  4. #3684
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,041
    Fair enough, even while writing that I did actually think that the charge-up sniper rifle could be cool. It just seems hilariously unimaginative that now VS get a charge-up mechanic, NC get a shotgun and TR get a full-auto weapon. Like you said, depends how it's implemented I suppose.

    My issue isn't so much with the kill cam, understand that new players perhaps need something. It's more about the emphasis on killstreaks and score/time in that mocked-up kill screen, it doesn't feel like it's in service of what makes PS2 great.

  5. #3685
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,520
    I think that the sniper rifle's possibly the only alternative to lancer where charge-up could work well. Would be interesting if you could charge whilst cloaked to decloak before firing, too, with just a sound to give away your location even though your target won't hear it.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  6. #3686
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    I like the unification of resources; means tankers can be tankers, pilots pilots and maxers maxers, while penalising people that try and do everything.
    Which is strange as it runs completely contradictory to their mantra that they want everybody to have access to everything. I fear this might hurt new and casual players a bit since they are more likely to spread out their certs/playstyles.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

  7. #3687
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    My issue isn't so much with the kill cam, understand that new players perhaps need something. It's more about the emphasis on killstreaks and score/time in that mocked-up kill screen, it doesn't feel like it's in service of what makes PS2 great.
    Actually, I'm converting to your point of view. Any hint about the position of the killer is bad for the game. This is a game of positioning. The stealth Magrider that flanked the enemy column, the LA that climbed into an impossible nook of a tower, the infiltrator that runs hidden in their midst with cloak and suppressor, they all risked a lot to get into those positions. One kill, and the dead has the map to announce the exact vector of attack to the rest of their mates in Teamspeak or Mumble.

  8. #3688
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    132
    If the VS sniper rifle doesn't have ammo, then it's going to become the favourite gun of every camper in the game. Set yourself up on some high inaccessible perch overlooking somewhere busy and just stay there all day, with no need to resupply.

  9. #3689
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,227
    Doubt it will work that way, probably an ammo pool (same amount of shots as today) or one large magazine and if you wait long enough between shots, the heat won't build up. So maybe you can get off 2-3 shots really quickly but then you'll have to wait for the cooldown. <- pure speculation btw :-)

  10. #3690
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,134
    Maybe, as it will be an energy based weapon it will have a more obvious tracer. So you will in turn need to reposition more often.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Actually, I'm converting to your point of view. Any hint about the position of the killer is bad for the game. This is a game of positioning. The stealth Magrider that flanked the enemy column, the LA that climbed into an impossible nook of a tower, the infiltrator that runs hidden in their midst with cloak and suppressor, they all risked a lot to get into those positions. One kill, and the dead has the map to announce the exact vector of attack to the rest of their mates in Teamspeak or Mumble.
    I have my doubts if this will haven an effect at all. Usually, even when you are hit by a stealth tank and you have a decent experience in/with the game you know where the fire was coming from and can give your teammates at least a rough direction anyway.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

  11. #3691
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Boris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Maybe, as it will be an energy based weapon it will have a more obvious tracer. So you will in turn need to reposition more often.


    I have my doubts if this will haven an effect at all. Usually, even when you are hit by a stealth tank and you have a decent experience in/with the game you know where the fire was coming from and can give your teammates at least a rough direction anyway.
    Not sure. When I get oneshotted by a headshot from a bolt action, I generally have a vague direction it came from at best, depending on local terrain.

    I don't think it would be good to cheapen it by pointing out where he was exactly.

  12. #3692
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,022
    I don't want to see a kill cam implemented if it gives away player locations. That said, PS2 has some of the worst snipers ever. Thousands of them. A typical ps2 sniper will find a spot on a hillside overlooking a base and then fire his non suppressed bolt action rifle at people in the base. THEY NEVER MOVE! It makes it all to easy to sneak up on them with an smg and get nice long kill streaks.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

    Wally is now on Steam!

  13. #3693
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,520
    I'm not really convinced of the benefits of moving about as a sniper. Given that most people ignore them entirely, if you're set up at a point where you have easy access to the heads of people engaging your faction mates in close range, you're likely to get a few kills before someone takes the time out of their day to sneak up on you with an SMG. That being said, it's not often that I go to the remote locations you speak of when I'm sniping, I'm usually by a reserve sundie or a spawn room, where resupplying recon darts is easy.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  14. #3694
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I'm not really convinced of the benefits of moving about as a sniper. Given that most people ignore them entirely, if you're set up at a point where you have easy access to the heads of people engaging your faction mates in close range, you're likely to get a few kills before someone takes the time out of their day to sneak up on you with an SMG. That being said, it's not often that I go to the remote locations you speak of when I'm sniping, I'm usually by a reserve sundie or a spawn room, where resupplying recon darts is easy.
    There are some beautiful spots that you don't even have to use your cloak to snipe from, especially if you are doing long range sniping, 200-300m. But usually, if you remember to scan for targets only when cloaked, and have some good cover to fall back to when the cloak runs out, you are safe.

    Some general tips to anyone that fancies trying some sniping: Never take a shot unless you are certain it will be a kill. And stop shooting when someone approaches. In such a case, sometimes it's best not to use your cloak or darts. You are informing them that indeed an infiltrator is around.

    The problem is that there are a lot of inexperienced players just shooting on and on from a ridge. They hit nothing, and they give away the position. But if you find a good spot around them, they actually provide a nice diversion. If you miss (and you will), the opponent will think that it was one of those, not you.

    On a tangent, recently I've switched to the x8 for the Parallax (Longshot). I find it more comfortable even for sniping at the edge of the render distance than the x12. And I've read that there is a bug, and the x10 is actually the same as the x8.

  15. #3695
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    BTW, since we are talking infiltrators, has anyone else noticed lately an indeterminate amount of delay when turning on/off the cloak?

  16. #3696
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    BTW, since we are talking infiltrators, has anyone else noticed lately an indeterminate amount of delay when turning on/off the cloak?
    Noticed? Definitely. Lately? No, this irritating bug has been around for a while. I really hope they sort out all the glitches with the cloak as part of the infil update. Other annoying bugs:

    * No decloak sound when you run out of charge
    * Allows you to cloak when you have just a sliver of charge (this should be prevented to safeguard people cloaking when they clearly meant to de-cloak but just ran out of charge)
    * Re-loading after cloaking often causes you to de-cloak. This is evidently a bug because if you wait long enough before re-loading it doesn't cause the de-cloak.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

    Wally is now on Steam!

  17. #3697
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,134
    Another bug I encounter at times is that when I cloak my own textures don't show the cloak effect. So the only way of telling if I am actually cloaked is looking at the energy bar. Also why do cloaked friendly infs sometimes show up in the purple glow and sometimes not?
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

  18. #3698
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Another bug I encounter at times is that when I cloak my own textures don't show the cloak effect. So the only way of telling if I am actually cloaked is looking at the energy bar.
    From what I read in /reddit, if you can see your weapon, that means that you are not cloaked or only partially.

  19. #3699
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,134
    Well, that would explain a lot. Although I have been getting used to just flick cloak off and on again when it happens.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

  20. #3700
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,194
    New World Domination Series rules and rewards for the upcoming season 2 (starts Feb 7):
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ewards.171380/
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •