Page 104 of 319 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 6370
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I'd like to try an LA squad next time we max crash a biolab. Basically just doing as MrEclectic suggests: getting onto the roof of the B point building then dropping down to attack at the same time the maxes come through the front door.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Smoke, flash grenades,shotguns, C4 and general mayhem. I'm up for this!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Having a few HAs with concs in addition to our usual group should work as well, as long as we're not coming through the primary entrance. The heavies conc the room, then maxes rush in. In theory, this will end in a lot of dead enemies very quickly.

My only concern with LAs going 'high' is they then become unrezzable, other than than that it's a good move.
    PS2 a.k.a. PurpleSnow
    also available on Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I'm wondering if it's possible to get a rez grenade up into the B point room from the ground floor (standing underneath the walkways and thrown in through that external door). That way we could have a medic standing by ready to throw the rez grenade 10 seconds after the initial charge to bring them all back up. Alternatively prioritise getting a medic into the SCU gen room quickly and lob the grenade from there.

P.S. I'd love to try this tonight. It is StratGir afterall!
    Last edited by WallyTrooper; 27-06-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: clarification of locations and StratGir
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    I'm wondering if it's possible to get a rez grenade up into the B point room from the ground floor (standing underneath the walkways and thrown in through that external door). That way we could have a medic standing by ready to throw the rez grenade 10 seconds after the initial charge to bring them all back up. Alternatively prioritise getting a medic into the SCU gen room quickly and lob the grenade from there.

P.S. I'd love to try this tonight. It is StratGir afterall!
    It's possible. It's tricky, but it's possible.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ah yes all these impressive tactics... maxcrash, maxcrashes everywhere. If the defenders have half a brain they are on the roof with c4. Bye bye pretty little maxes. Pretty much every single instance of a biolab being take is defenders being dumb or not being outnumbered. Fucking brilliant base design. If the game had siege mechanics the current biolab can stay for all I care, sit there and rot until you lose.

Also I repeat myself my changes does nothing to make the fight inside the biolab go away. If that is what you love the most keep on doing it, it just lets everyone else actually do something. It gives defenders and attackers a choice. *gasp* Imagine that, tactical choices in a war game. The metro reference is spot on actually. Great map with 12vs12 utterly retarded with 32vs32. Pretty much exactly like biolabs, fun, interesting and dynamic with 30vs30, stupid as hell with 60vs60.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Flash crashes for biolabs. Fury mounted flashes. Let's tear them up!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    Ah yes all these impressive tactics... maxcrash, maxcrashes everywhere. If the defenders have half a brain they are on the roof with c4. Bye bye pretty little maxes. Pretty much every single instance of a biolab being take is defenders being dumb or not being outnumbered. Fucking brilliant base design. If the game had siege mechanics the current biolab can stay for all I care, sit there and rot until you lose.

Also I repeat myself my changes does nothing to make the fight inside the biolab go away. If that is what you love the most keep on doing it, it just lets everyone else actually do something. It gives defenders and attackers a choice. *gasp* Imagine that, tactical choices in a war game. The metro reference is spot on actually. Great map with 12vs12 utterly retarded with 32vs32. Pretty much exactly like biolabs, fun, interesting and dynamic with 30vs30, stupid as hell with 60vs60.
    I appreciate neither the tone nor the sentiment, wardancer. I am not deriding you for enjoying the amp station fights that i personally feel often involve neither depth nor tactics. There is room for more than just a singular type of base, and your assessment of biolabs indicates nothing but your personal disdain for them. When was the last time you even participated in a bio fight that was well organised and horrible at the same time. There's room for tactics, a need for tactics even. It extends beyond max crashes as well. Also, 60 v 60 is a medium sized fights, and by no means a lot of people for biolabs.

You can continue to not like them, but it'd be great if you could stop pretending that your perspective is the only valid one around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    Ah yes all these impressive tactics... maxcrash, maxcrashes everywhere. If the defenders have half a brain they are on the roof with c4. Bye bye pretty little maxes.
    Hence the need for LAs.

I really hope I dont need to remind anyone about the only rule we have. people have different tastes, get used to it and chill, everyone.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Just as a heads-up, dome shields are now on PTS (Indar). Already a few threads on Reddit, some good points being made both for and against the current implementation of them.

Also appear to be some changes to the tower layout to avoid people camping the middle and lower spawn exits as easily. There's so much structure on some levels now that it almost looks a bit clunky.

Network Hub
    Biolabs should have some sort of power generator at the base that links the whole facility in the lattice. It can be defensible, but it's going to take defenders some time to get there. If it's blown then defenders get a spawn timer penalty and lose control of the satellites (and can't recap until it's back up).

If we can't have ANTs I think the large facilities should take a bigger cue from UT2004's Assault and Onslaught modes. There should be progressive objectives that make a meaningful difference to the fight, instead of one objective that does it all (the SCU). Horizontal and Vertical generators are cool and all, but they could be doing so much more.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The techplant domes looks pretty damn stupid tbh and are really not needed. Ampstations, well with these they can finally scrap the bloody biolabs so we never have to see them again.

The problem with the towers are that they are too small, they need to be completely redesigned to get good fights. The other day when we stormed a biolab spawnroom the first thought I had was that those buildings could actually make for some pretty sweet indoor battles. If they made the middle level of the towers larger and put some walkways and cover in there they could be pretty sweet but right now no matter what they do they are gonna have people camping the middle floor while tanks fire from the outside.

Edit: darkweeble exactly that is part of what I tried to suggest, having more capture flags on the outside, the scu shield generator on the outside to spread out the objectives and make it a much more gradual fight instead of the charge first taking the scu shield then the scu right after and the fight is over. If the SCU Shield was moved outside it would first take an organised charge to take that, and then a new one to go for the SCU while the defenders have time to rally and make their own push for the SCU Shield. Biolabs are just too cramped to offer any gradual progress. It is all or nothing in the first 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Wardancer; 29-06-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ha, tower fights are actually some of favourites (if we're not starting out camped by vehicles). Especially Saerro and Indar Exav have had really good fights consistently. Anyway, I guess we'll just never see eye to eye in regards to base design.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I like the towers. Since the previous changes they aren't even really campable. Only lameness is when they are surrounded by huge numbers of enemies and I run out of C4.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I mostly like towers as well, but they could do with more space that is indoors especially that middle area with the spawn exists, catwalk and cap point. With a bit more spacious interior light assaults would have lot more room to fly around, the catwalk could be a much more important area to hold to fire down on the rest of the room etc. Wanting something to be better does not mean i think the current model sucks.

I just hope they decide to use the spawn building template for more buildings, they have great balconies, a protected roof and a spacious interior that could create some pretty interesting fighting if they were open to all.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    I appreciate neither the tone nor the sentiment, wardancer. I am not deriding you for enjoying the amp station fights that i personally feel often involve neither depth nor tactics. There is room for more than just a singular type of base, and your assessment of biolabs indicates nothing but your personal disdain for them. When was the last time you even participated in a bio fight that was well organised and horrible at the same time. There's room for tactics, a need for tactics even. It extends beyond max crashes as well. Also, 60 v 60 is a medium sized fights, and by no means a lot of people for biolabs.

You can continue to not like them, but it'd be great if you could stop pretending that your perspective is the only valid one around.
    Sorry that response was out of line but you did talk about there being tactics to deploy and the only one that came up was max crashes. Not really a great variety there, and yeah I the numbers are too small 60vs60 can work but biolabs tend to either be deserted ghost caps or massive grindy battles where there no progress to the bade and the only viable tactic is maxcrashing and hope you reach the SCU. I do prefer my fighting to actually give me a choice in how to approach my target and what target I want to approach. Which is why I loathe 99% of the fighting we do in biolabs and the 1% can be tons of fun. Which is also why I earlier have tried to suggest mechanics that limit the viability of having 100+ members of the same faction at a single base with only the base respawn room. Simply because many of the bases can provide very fun battles that flow over terrain and go back and forth without stagnating like the worst WW1 scenario. But they cannot do it when the bases get overcrowded. See Scarred-mesa last stand, spec-ops last stand, biolab last stands etc. Planetside 2 simply lacks the mechanics to make those battles interesting because nothing happens.

If the game had things like increasing spawn timers for dying repeatedly in the same hex etc the current designs could work because after a while the people would thin out and reinforcements would be needed to be brought in. But when infantry spawn for free in infinite numbers many of the current bases simply does not work and does not create the kind of player choices a game like planetside 2 should have. For mindless zerging and shooting dudes in the face I could play CoD or BF3 Metro 64 players.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ha, scarred mesa may or may not have been the most crowded hex in the history of planetside 2. it was easily 600v1000+ people there. Nothing will ever get close to that clusterfuck again (i hope), as last stands have effectively been eliminated with GU11. High density fights are another issue. Biolabs get annoying when you have 150+ per side (i'd say), but so do amp-station. In fact, there was such a fight yesterday and it sucked. The problem isn't only with high-density, but also with organisation levels. Typically, you need to be way more organised than what we're currently doing most of the time, which is the main reason amp stations suck consistently. Annnnyway, biolabs!

We've been going on about this for ages, but let me add some more (of the same points). Defending biolabs can be fun for solo play. There's a lot of entrenched positions, and it's a great place for being a LA, Max, or Medic. The penalty for death is low, as you can get back into the fight really quickly. When i'm playing solo, i'm trying all kinds of stuff in biolabs because they're a fun environment and in that case, biolabs being stable is a good thing.

For us as an outfit, this case is not all that relevant because our goal would typically be to end the fight quickly. I'd say that we've got a pretty good track-record with that, actually. As mentioned before, I can't remember the last time biolabs were a serious obstacle during normal play. So ... tactics: if we're attacking, the primary tactic is indeed going to be some form of max-crash, but as you noted yourself, the bog-standard version isn't working all that well against organised foes anymore. So, enhanced tactics including assaults from multiple angles with light assaults, maxes, heavies with concs, and so on are sometimes *required*. Pulling them off and breaking a siege that has lasted a while is pretty damn challenging and rewarding to me. When defending, things get more diverse as you'll eventually have to push out to neutralise the satellites/teleporters and other access routes while others defend the internal structure. This allows for squad-based play etc., and i'd say that's pretty close to the flow you mentioned.

Anyway, this is just meant as a further explanations of why I think biolabs in their current iteration are pretty ok. Sure, something like ANTs/NTUs would be a good addition, but I honestly don't see that happening any time soon. Further, imagine biolabs being SCU-gen less again, giving attackers basically no chance at properly taking the base (2 points on the ground or not). Waiting for the NTU to deplete would be the standard option and it'd be infinitely worse than what we have now. Just think back to Allatum. Currently, we can at least take the damn thing down if we're either numerous enough or have superior tactics. In other words, we're good at nuking the damn things, which really is the best case for us as an outfit.

What's kind of funny is that Amp stations do not have a 'nuke' button, meaning that they're often more problematic than biolabs because there is no way to deal with them via a single well coordinated strike. We often fail due to not being able to sustain a proper strategy for the full 10-30 minutes it takes to take the amp-station (for me, key word i associate with amp stations is attrition). With the potential addition of dome-shields, this could become a lot worse, but i'll hold off judgement on that until i see a more refined version.

All in all, this is just a re-hash of the 'there's room for more perspectives here', but I honestly think all of these things deserve consideration.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Just logged off after a global biolab alert (of course the TR won, but we came close). Anyway, we were just playing on Amerish, having some fun fights, and just the flow of tonight's campaing drew us close to Onatha. The fight for the southern satellite was fun, so we stuck around, until we took it.

So how about we take the northern satellite as well? There she goes, so let's just go inside, have a peek, and go to the west of Amerish the moment it gets grindy. Almost all of Amerish TRAM in there, so we were prepared for a grind, have a few kills and go find a fun fight someplace else.

The thing is though that it went beautifully. We had a lot more lashers than usual, same for the rest of the Vanu outfits in there. VS hit both from the northern (close to the two story building next to the spawn room) and the southern teleporter (close to the SCU shield). We attacked the SCU shield, but people first cleared the perimeter quickly, LAs secured the roof, as we were hitting inside the room with Lashers, launchers, concussion and AV grenades, while people pushed. We denied them the opportunity to concentrate fire on us, as our MAXes pushed in, while heavies were laying down some serious Lasher and rocket fire.

We cleared the building and overloaded the SCU, and then TRAM tried to MAXcrash us. But we had at least 5-6 lashers on the top of the stairs overlooking the SCU, and we cleared them out. I got 7 MAX kills with Lasher fire and AV grenades, and about as many assists. Their MAXes melted.

Then we took the SCU down, and cleared their spawnroom, when the shields went down.

All and all a quick and fun bio lab assault.