Page 125 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 6387
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I agree with this. It's way cooler to fly in first person as well.
    Except that the FoV sucks ass in vehicles for some reason. If they would let vehicles have the same FoV as infantry then thirdperson wouldn't be such an important part of any vehicle. I mean does anyone drive tanks and sunderers in first person except when actually shooting at the enemy? (and even then third person can be useful because the gun is magically stabilized when in third person)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I know one guy who drives a sundy in first person, but he's very much a "role" kinda guy. He'll use his mouse to look around the cabin and relies on other's to warn him of hazards he can't see himself from the cabin.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

What about locked 1st-person for combat with a cooldown timer when swapping views (to discourage quick swapping)?

I.E. "Lock S-Foils in Attack Position" *brrrrrrrrrfffffft-clink* "Weapons engaged".

Therefore, 3rd-person for manoeuvrability (and cool views/scouting), but you can't fight.

Also, I really want Libs to have glass floors (or a little camera video screen). Pilots don't have a clue what their gunners can see. What's the point of cockpit freeview if you can't use it to LOOK DOWN?!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Agree with that last. Ever see a helicopter (which is basically what Planetside aircraft are) with a cockpit that only allows vision above the plane of the pilot's nipples?!

Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    Except that the FoV sucks ass in vehicles for some reason. If they would let vehicles have the same FoV as infantry then thirdperson wouldn't be such an important part of any vehicle. I mean does anyone drive tanks and sunderers in first person except when actually shooting at the enemy? (and even then third person can be useful because the gun is magically stabilized when in third person)
    Oh yeah. The cockpit view should be more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp12YViGsV4

That is, the FoV should be wider and the camera point should be higher up so the cockpit takes up less screen real estate.

Bonus points if they make the two screens that currently use a way too large font to show your altitude and speed show the camera views of your gunners. Speed and altitude can be displayed on the heads up display. Flightsim it up, yo.

Is there a way that we can actually suggest these things without it being swallowed by the official forums?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei Onryou View Post
    Is there a way that we can actually suggest these things without it being swallowed by the official forums?
    It has been suggested many many many times on forums and reddit, especially the FoV. Pretty sure it has been tweeted to higby about a bazillion times as well.

It is the fov thing that is really bizarre because there is a fov slider ingame, but it only affects infantry (and possibly third person vehicles) not cockpit views. There has been a couple of workarounds for that but they rely on thirdparty software so can be seen as cheating and get you a ban. The thing is the cockpits look amazing with a high fov, suddenly it really feels like you are sitting in a cockpit because you can see the windows, the bars etc instead of having your face glued to the windscreen.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    fixed, it seems.
    Last edited by qaz; 14-08-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Network Hub
    The vehicle FOV didn't used to be fixed back in in the beta. As I understand it, they had problems with players with three or more monitors using external tools to give themselves a 120 degree or greater FOV, and with it a massive situational awareness advantage. SOE didn't want such a step-change in advantage for those willing to fork out for multiple large monitors, so the FOV was deliberately fixed.

I would love them to at least raise the baseline FOV, but don't think SOE are going to change their minds about it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
    The vehicle FOV didn't used to be fixed back in in the beta. As I understand it, they had problems with players with three or more monitors using external tools to give themselves a 120 degree or greater FOV, and with it a massive situational awareness advantage. SOE didn't want such a step-change in advantage for those willing to fork out for multiple large monitors, so the FOV was deliberately fixed.

I would love them to at least raise the baseline FOV, but don't think SOE are going to change their minds about it.
    Why is it not fixed for infantry then? I mean it would give them the same advantage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Also, you'd think they could cap it at 95 or whatever the infantry max is. It sounds like you cannot put it up at all (is this even correct?).

What FOV does everyone use for infantry? It looks like I've always been using the default (55), but I just had a quick go with it slid up to max (74). It just felt a bit "strange", might take some getting used to.

Max FOV. You get used to it in like 15 minutes and you can see more. What's not to like?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    MAX. For the reasons Boris mentioned. It looks strange around the edges of the screen, but you get used to it. Looks a bit weird if you've been playing a lot of something else and then switch back to Planetside, though. I've done this with Tomb Raider lately...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Max here too. It's really needed. I'd be most displeased if they got rid of it.

Is there no disadvantage with aiming at Max-Settings?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No, the only disadvantage to high fov is if you go too high and it starts to warp the picture. 55 Fov for a PC game should be punishable by death because it looks crap and just isn't suited for sitting close to the monitor. However it became the standard for consoles where it looks more natural due to the distance most people have to their screens.

The fov is basically the first thing I change in FPS and are very displeased when that is not possible, often it has to be done through console or config files.

I use 59 as that gives 90 degree horizontal at 1920x1080 - it's what I use by standard in FPS games. Am I handicapping myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Rei Onryou View Post
    I use 59 as that gives 90 degree horizontal at 1920x1080 - it's what I use by standard in FPS games. Am I handicapping myself?
    Yes. You see less of the battlefield at any given time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfieV View Post
    What FOV does everyone use for infantry? It looks like I've always been using the default (55), but I just had a quick go with it slid up to max (74). It just felt a bit "strange", might take some getting used to.
    Keep in mind that this is vertical fov. So the fov in the menu gives you another horizontal fov (what most games use) depending on your resolution. The default 55 fov translates on a 1080p screen to a horizontal fov of 85. Which should be fine for most people.
    Here is a calculator to help with that:
    http://www.rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfb...calculator.php

And I don't think that you handicap yourself unless you are playing with a (horizontal) fov lower than 80 (that number goes up as screen size increases). Simply because if you increase the fov, objects in front of you will be smaller. So you gain a wider view around you, but will have a harder time spotting and aiming at stuff in front of you (at a distance). More or less you can say: the larger your screen, the higher your fov can and should be.
    So no, a high fov doesn't mean it's automatically better. There are downsides to it and it also largely depends on you personal playstyle and preferenes. But on an HD screen it should be above 80 (horizontal). I personally prefer 90 to 95 in shooters. I usually dont go above 100 because of the said effect, making it harder to take long distance shots.
    Last edited by bonkers; 15-08-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-