Page 136 of 288 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 5743
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    our numbers are really low though. tried playing earlier, and there basically was never more than a squad online, which is a shame as i preferred the gameplay when we had more bodies around.
    I raised that point 2 weeks ago when i said we should do a call to arms, but everyone replied it wasn't the time and/or it was better because it allowed tighter squad play.

I disagreed, and the past few weeks only confirmed what i thought. Less people mean less diverse gameplay (no special squad) and yet not much improvement on the tactical side of things. Also i can't run TacGir squad because i would have to use the full platoon for that and some may not like it

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Apropos...

... since nowadays we are effectively a small outfit, we should consider going for a more tight playstyle...

... just saying...

... while I go for my coat...
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 05-10-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    our numbers are really low though. tried playing earlier, and there basically was never more than a squad online, which is a shame as i preferred the gameplay when we had more bodies around.
    Saturdays have been like this for a long time. Other days have had 2-3 squads the last weeks.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    Saturdays have been like this for a long time. Other days have had 2-3 squads the last weeks.
    mhm, maybe i've just been logging on during the wrong times? i was kinda gone for a month, but ever since i started playing again, it seemed like it's always been 1-1.5 squads, with stratgir getting barely 3. maybe i'm just logging on too late?

Personally, our performance brings me more satisfaction than how many people we field in a platoon. Though don't get me wrong, i fully understand and appreciate where people are coming from... Considering this new direction though, I'm very much with Eclectic here, and perhaps one way of making this idea a reality is to revive some of our leaders' desire and drive.

If we could conjure up a tactically focused, dedicated and highly cooperative force, i would jump at the chance to lead again. With the experience and knowledge we've all gained since the old days, (where lets face it, we were mainly running on enthusiasm) it's entirely possible. We certainly have the skilled, regular members to pull it off.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    It is sad to see the numbers die down, and I know that ive contributed to it given that I havent 'really' played in a while.

It is a problem that the game offers a good experience, but not enough to bring a lot of members back for a consistently long time. I think the reasons are massively varied, but something is swaying people from the games. Could be partially down to other games releases pulling people away tbh.

It certainly doesnt hold its weight as a team game in comparison to some other things ive been involved with in the past.

Thats a damn shame, because the community we have set up is a great one.

I guess the choice that needs to be made is whether to do another big drive for membership or to focus more on smaller tight play. The only other suggestion on the top of my head is to perhaps team up with another (smaller?) miller outfit to try and combine membership groups.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Could be partially down to other games releases pulling people away tbh.
    That and the games performance, the lack of any meaningful combat, the overpopulation, unbalanced weapons and vehicle interaction, the grindy character progression, the very very bad new player introduction,... there are soooo many things in PS2 that manage to piss people off.
    It's not our problem that we have significantly less people in out platoon. It's the games fault. Miller is currently between 2500 and below 2000 characters during peak hours (no idea why both graphs show different numbers when pulling the same data). That's barely enough to fill Indar. On Steam the game is on par with Mount and Blade: Warband...
    Even if we can do a Call to Arms again I doubt that players will stick for more then two weeks. Better work with what we have now, because we won't be able to fix the game for the devs. When the devs finally decide to fix some of the problems we could try to bring people back, but before that I don't see why anyone who quit should have the desire to come back.

When I have more spare time in a few weeks I'll try to see devote some of my time into the more focused play. Maybe something like running dedicated AA/AV squads that quickly redeploy to where needed.
    Last edited by bonkers; 06-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Network Hub
    It might be worth considering a CTA in the near future, even before the optimization patch hits. That way returning and new players would be able to experience the hopefully great performance changes, and might even stick around long enough for the next content update. This might give them a taste of the constant updates Planetside 2 gets (except, well, for the past two months) and show them that it's in constant evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    On Steam the game is on par with Mount and Blade: Warband...
    Many people, such as me, just use the standalone launcher. Current peak players are 10k-14k depending on where you look - your point's still valid though, as it has declined from a peak of about 23k.

Edit: horrific grammar

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think bonkers has a point. I'm honestly not sure that a CTA would result in sustained user base growth right now. I'd propose to start actively integrating RPS squads in TVA platoons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    If you want to do a CTA, you'd have to do it after performance update and hotfix to fix the performance.

You'll be able to keep more players playing that way.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

I'd propose to start actively integrating RPS squads in TVA platoons.
    Actually, we have run TVA combined platoons in the past to decent effect, but not with our squad/s on a Tacgir level... Also, i agree that it's the best way of combating the feeling of a shrunken RPS platoon, all on it's lonesome. I'll definitely start suggesting we run combined TVA platoons when applicable. If we can regularly get at least one squad on there then the numbers wont be an issue at all.

This coming week i'll make a point of sitting in the TVA TS and SLing a tight TVA oriented Tacgir squad. By all means, if anyone else fancies doing that too ("reviving Tacgir" *ehem* Ksem, Ridebird other people who have mentioned this) then we could have two or even three up and running. Experience tells me that we'd probably get more people back online if we ran more like this, as a decent amount of people seem to really enjoy Tacgir squads... Whatever the outcome, it's one of the few options we have in the face of... 'The State of the Game'. Nice link there eh
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Soooo... I found this interesting thingy on official forums for platoon coordination with factions: http://ovaki1.wix.com/nsportal

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I don't really know the best place to ask, but for VS we have cert guides - is there anything similar people can point me to for NC? Obviously class guides are universal (except Max I guess), but weapons are not. I had quite a lot of fun playing NC on Saturday and don't really want to waste certs

I think bonkers has a point. I'm honestly not sure that a CTA would result in sustained user base growth right now. I'd propose to start actively integrating RPS squads in TVA platoons.
    we had mrkronos (spell) from EMLD come onto our mumble last night, and we ran as charlie squad in a combined platoon with EMLD.

was good

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I don't really know the best place to ask, but for VS we have cert guides - is there anything similar people can point me to for NC? Obviously class guides are universal (except Max I guess), but weapons are not. I had quite a lot of fun playing NC on Saturday and don't really want to waste certs
    Hmm. I honestly haven't ever used a cert guide, granted, I made some bad investments, but it made me a character. Aside from Dramathus or Wrel, I can't really point anywhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Just ask around on mumble, thats what most people do. And as there are so many opinions, and the differences between weapons on the NC can be rather large, a writen piece might not be as usefull.

Wrel posted a well-thought out article on reddit, about the core problems of PS 2 according to him (meaningful goals, resource mechanics, zerging and population balances, offence and defence) and his proposed solutions.

I don't agree with all his points, but his arguments are well presented, and I believe that it may spark an interesting conversation.

Unfortunately, some of his suggestions may lead to even worse problems: for instance, he suggests a radical redesign of the lattice architecture and a dramatic reduction in territories. Smaller outposts under such a scheme would be incorporated in the territory of the larger facilities, acting as the satellite bases before the introduction of the lattice. Although he proposes several solutions against zerging, as well as a resource system that doesn't punish the defender, still, I fear that such a design would once again favour the overpopulated faction: let your pubs fight over the outer outposts of these vast territories, gouge the opponent's reaction, and hot-drop your outfits en masse on the necessary cap points.

Nevertheless, an interesting read.

PS: By the way, I recall my objections to the lattice before it was introduced, as we were discussing it here: due to the attacker not having to worry about their operational flanks, they can keep pushing down a lane, giving the defenders no time or space to regroup before suffering significant losses (as the attacker's zerg finishes a capture, forward elements are already in the next base down the lane), especially if the attacker enjoys numerical superiority. And so it came to pass (with age I've come to realise that, to my horror and contrary to my younger objections, I am an "I told you so" guy).
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 14-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    I fear that such a design would once again favour the overpopulated faction: let your pubs fight over the outer outposts of these vast territories, gouge the opponent's reaction, and hot-drop your outfits en masse on the necessary cap points.
    I think you are right about this favouring the overpopulated faction once again. However, the zerg would likely go for the main facility and not care about the outposts. Outfits would need to retake these staging areas just like the days when large facilities had satellite bases. The zerg would head directly into the Bio Lab/Tech Plant/Amp Station, but was less likely to defend a satellite once a foothold was gained inside the main base. Thereby organised outfit operations became important to retake the satellites, which could turn the battle. Nevertheless, the TR (or whoever is overpopulated) will have the advantage that the zerg is fighting for the main base, while outfit quick reaction forces can take all the outposts.

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    I think you are right about this favouring the overpopulated faction once again. However, the zerg would likely go for the main facility and not care about the outposts. Outfits would need to retake these staging areas just like the days when large facilities had satellite bases. The zerg would head directly into the Bio Lab/Tech Plant/Amp Station, but was less likely to defend a satellite once a foothold was gained inside the main base. Thereby organised outfit operations became important to retake the satellites, which could turn the battle. Nevertheless, the TR (or whoever is overpopulated) will have the advantage that the zerg is fighting for the main base, while outfit quick reaction forces can take all the outposts.
    I'd agree, but one of the zerg's traits is that it travels in a straight line between caps. Therefore, although going straight for the main facility, they'd stumble on and zerg the outlying outposts first, and the outfits' quick response teams will act accordingly.