Page 168 of 276 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 5515
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I think now I may be better spending the monthly cost on SC and buying boosts when I want to play intensely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Looks to me like they are trying to get more money from big spenders. Now members will have to pay to get SC as well for the most popular items, which are clearly player studio cosmetics (fancy that, they are excluded from the monthly freebie list!)

Not sure how I'd feel if I actually had membership, Ksempac makes some good points in favour of the new system.

Network Hub
    I don't like the change. Apart from the fact that I don't like systems which force you to use your "allotment" or get nothing, this deal will almost certainly exclude Player Studio items. At that point "up to 2000 SC" is almost meaningless, since everything that isn't a bloody Golden/Platinum weapon is 700 SC maximum (as far as I know).

What the hell do you spend it on, then? There's still some cosmetics I like, but since most of those are 500SC or less, the change only has downsides.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Getting one item free a month is all well and good, but I think the 500SC is better value, particularly if you're smart about how you spend it. Even with the 500SC a month when I was playing, I'd only spend it on good daily deals and let the rest roll over.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Getting one item free a month is all well and good, but I think the 500SC is better value, particularly if you're smart about how you spend it. Even with the 500SC a month when I was playing, I'd only spend it on good daily deals and let the rest roll over.
    I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason why they changed it.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Re: Membership changes.

I agree that a Player Studio item exlcusion may be the deal breaker.

To this end, it's well worth writing a comment on that forum thread to this effect. They will be reading that thread for feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

It looks like they're doing it to all their subscriptions. DCUO is getting it's monthly 500SC replaced with a new currency, that seemingly only works in that game, though they will stack unlike the PS2 changes.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Helped me make my decision about resubbing, for sure - have cancelled my membership renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    Helped me make my decision about resubbing, for sure - have cancelled my membership renewal.
    I'm thinking of doing the same. Can someone confirm that if I cancel my renewal now, I lose the benefits for the remainder of my sub? My next payment is just in March, but I remember hearing or reading that cancelling the renewal early stops you receiving anything for the remainder of you sub.

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Correct. SoE uses a fairly straightforward spiderweb technique - if you cancel, you lose any further SC benefits, so if you want to try and get the full benefit of your sub, you want to wait until the last possible moment to cancel. SOE is betting on you forgetting to unsub or to leave it too long to cancel and it'll auto sub.

I think I lost 500SC (whatever I should've got in January), but I have 2400 saved up and the sub was up on the 18th anyway so... meh.

I would figure out when the renewal is likely to take place in March, and stick a reminder in your calendar to unsub a few days beforehand. It's certainly worth waiting so you get the benefit of that 500SC in January at least, and that one free pick of whatever in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I'm thinking of doing the same. Can someone confirm that if I cancel my renewal now, I lose the benefits for the remainder of my sub? My next payment is just in March, but I remember hearing or reading that cancelling the renewal early stops you receiving anything for the remainder of you sub.
    You will not get the 500 SC/month anymore, and if you have any of the previous 500SC rewards left, you lose that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    Correct. SoE uses a fairly straightforward spiderweb technique - if you cancel, you lose any further SC benefits, so if you want to try and get the full benefit of your sub, you want to wait until the last possible moment to cancel. SOE is betting on you forgetting to unsub or to leave it too long to cancel and it'll auto sub.

I think I lost 500SC (whatever I should've got in January), but I have 2400 saved up and the sub was up on the 18th anyway so... meh.

I would figure out when the renewal is likely to take place in March, and stick a reminder in your calendar to unsub a few days beforehand. It's certainly worth waiting so you get the benefit of that 500SC in January at least, and that one free pick of whatever in February.
    Already done. Renewal date is the 2nd of March, so I've set a reminder for the 1st of March to cancel the auto-sub (unless I change my mind)

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well that sucks.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Smedly commenting on membership deal changes: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ription_plans/

Says the thing with player studio content was giving other people's stuff away for free and that they may decide to just eat the cost.

Fairly positive altogether.

Also they will be offering refunds for anyone that cancels their sub because of the changes.

So smedley took to Reddit to explain the change in policy. Not everything is settled, but so far, I like everything he is saying.

Both in the explanation of why they are doing it (SC sitting in unused accounts means SOE takes an accounting hit + PS4 doesn't allow SC) and how they are planning to implement it (how to include Player Studio items + refunding unhappy people)

Interestingly, they also say the sub might also become valid for others SOE games at no-additional cost...I was already tempted to play EQN Landmark, if this comes to pass, i will certainly try it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ription_plans/

You may disagree with what the proposed plan, but you've got to admit theses are interesting explanations, and a fair answer to criticism.

EDIT : ninja'ed by Boffinboots !
    Last edited by Ksempac; 06-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Boom

+some extra words

Activated Node
    I can understand the angle of his comments but it's hole they've dug for themselves really, and trying to spin restricting the reward to a single non-player studio item as "extra value" was outright dishonest.

The problem of accruing SC makes sense, but the reason people hoard it is because A) there is a general view that items, particularly cosmetics, are massively overpriced anyway and B) there are sales, which helped to ease the overpricing problem. It's an issue they've entirely created themselves, and then they wonder why people hoard it. Smoothing the SC bonus issue out makes business sense but you've got to convince the customer that they're getting something reasonable in return, which they failed miserably at.

Same goes for trying to get parity between PC and consoles: I understand that the PS4 can't use SC for reasons out of their control and that PS4 players will feel like they're getting a raw deal if they're left out, but again, removing stuff that the PC community has enjoyed for a whole year is inevitably going to create a backlash if the players don't feel like they're getting something reasonable in return.

Allowing the sub to affect other SOE games is an interesting idea, but for me personally it wouldn't count for much.

They've really just offered stuff at the beginning which they can't stick to longer term with the accruing SC and release on new platforms. If they'd fixed this in a way that gave the impression of equal value people would have been happy, but locking in resubscribers without telling them beforehand, excluding the player studio which is what most people seem to want and not taking into account that a single item system can't be saved up for sales is rightly going to irritate people.

They really should have just come out and explained this up front rather than try to dress it up as "change for the customers benefit".

"Second - it helps us deal with some internal issues regarding accrual of balances of SC for people who aren't playing or spending. There are a lot of people who play and have SC in their wallets and don't spend it ever.. this accrues over time and it's a problem. Before the jaded among you cry out that this is really the most important reason - please don't judge just yet. It's actually not but I don't want to hide the fact that it's a part of it."

I don't understand this part. SC doesn't increase or decrease over time while sitting in players accounts. If they're unused accounts and they've an active subscription, the SC is being paid for by the subscription.

Steam ID

Activated Node
    I think the argument is that the more SC they have sitting unused, the more real cash they have to keep in reserve to pay off Player Studio artists in case that SC is spent on a Studio item. If the unspent SC pool keeps accumulating then they'd need to hoard larger and larger piles of cash (or have some other way to rapidly get hold of money) to cover it if there was a sudden spend of SC, and they don't want to have to hold onto unused piles of cash.
    Last edited by RunningGloves; 06-01-2014 at 11:07 PM.

It's not limited to what they pay for Player Studio. Apparently (and several players confirm it) , from an accounting point of view, any SC in a player account counts as a debt of SOE. Hence, if people subscribe, then stop playing, they keep that debt on their books forever (note they do not care/are happy about people accruing SC if they are still active and so susceptible to spend it)

RunningGloves : as i already said, for me that scheme is added value. YMMV but it's not pure spin like you said
    Last edited by Ksempac; 07-01-2014 at 06:35 AM.