Page 173 of 297 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 5931
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Yeah you're right Grible. It'd also mean on average 10 people died per hour server wide.

What's worse is if we assume 10k people per hour then it means that each person shoots less than a bullet an hour!?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Yeah you're right Grible. It'd also mean on average 10 people died per hour server wide.

What's worse is if we assume 10k people per hour then it means that each person shoots less than a bullet an hour!?
    Well, I certainly don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure I average out around 1 bullet per hour. Sometimes I don't quite make it, but on good days I get 2 or 3 bullets fired per hour, so it balances out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Depends what they mean by player. They could be counting people who log in to alts for passive certs as individual players.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

That must be it carl. I never fire my gun. Ever.

Also, I'm assuming 0-60 minutes is considered an hour so alt logging for certs is gonna have a huge impact on numbers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Well my main does shoot 1055 bullets per hour. I'm guessing TR and VS mains shoot more due to higher rpm weaponarry.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Uh, I have found a new meta-game.
    Every time I see that guy:
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428044677962309345

I am going to abandon everything else (even shooting at mossies with my beamer) and just go after him. Reason being Day9 (Starcraft youtuber) jumped into PS2 and (of course) had no fucking clue what to do. As every new player in PS2 has. Also Day9 is known to be hillariously bad at FPS (and openly admits that)
    But all this guy had to do was sending Day9 tells about how he is adopted, his parents hate him and that he is a retard (etc etc). I would also appreciate the occasional TK from our unenlightened NC brethren
    Last edited by bonkers; 11-01-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Uh, I have found a new meta-game.
    Every time I see that guy:
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428044677962309345

I am going to abandon everything else (even shooting at mossies with my beamer) and just go after him. Reason being Day9 (Starcraft youtuber) jumped into PS2 and (of course) had no fucking clue what to do. As every new player in PS2 has. Also Day9 is known to be hillariously bad at FPS (and openly admits that)
    But all this guy had to do was sending Day9 tells about how he is adopted, his parents hate him and that he is a retard (etc etc). I would also appreciate the occasional TK from our unenlightened NC brethren

Well you're just gonna give him power. Best thing to do with people like this, is ignore them. Like SOE ignores me on twitter
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hm, I didn't realise you could tell people across servers? (day9 was on Connery, wasn't he?)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    Hm, I didn't realise you could tell people across servers? (day9 was on Connery, wasn't he?)
    Yupe, you can.

Wonder how many accidental /tells ppl in other servers have received. Hopefully in a language they don't understand.

/tell abuse is a really lame thing to do, Planetside being one of the most unfriendly games for new players outside of Dwarf Fortress and Aurora that I've owned.

Random aside: he's in the same outfit as MattiAce.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Our favourite Planetside Youtube mentor, Wrel, is looking for financial support through a service called "Patreon".

A reddit discussion about this move is going on here: http://redd.it/1uzpxe

Apparently Wrel is looking to garner support in order to expand his hobby into a business. The alternative is that he reduces the amount of content he puts out in favour of a full-time "real" job.

This post is not meant as an advertisement. I want to discuss this as it may reflect an interesting cultural shift in our society ("the Kickstarter era") and a parallell to the free-to-play model of Planetside 2 (which relies on "donations"). What are your thoughts about this?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    In my opinion, crowdfunding (like kickstarter) is superior to more traditional revenue streams. The vast majority of internet media is paid for by ad revenue, and while ads are not bad per se, getting paid through ads de facto means getting payed by page views, clicks or something similar. Of course, and creator wants as many as possible to see what they have done, but the problem is that the value of a single page view (or video view in Wrel's case) is pretty much nonexistant. Hundred of thousands, or even millions, of views are needed to make a living. And because you need an absurd amount of views to be able to pay for your daily expenses, there is pressure on the creator to do make sure they get as many views as possible (for example, common practice on a lot of pages is to break a story up on several pages, increasing individual page views immensely). These practices are not a big problem for a consumer (after all, we get it all for free), but they are practices created to overcome flaws in a bad revenue system.

The alternative to this is to have consumers (some or all of them) pay for the service. Subscriptions is one alternative, and crowdsourcing such as kickstarter and patreon above is another. In my view, this is much superior, since subscriptions exclude those who for some reason cannot or are not willing to pay (for example, some might not want to pay for something they have not experienced, and they cannot experience it if it's behind a pay wall). A relatively small amount of backers are needed to support the creator (compared to the millions of page views needed to get enough ad revenue) and the product (i.e. videos) are still available to a larger audience. This incentivizes creators to do something as good as possible, since people will only pay for something if they think it's worth it, as opposed to do something which gets views (such as "top ten sexy video game character"-lists and the like).

As a rule, I also like the whole "voting with your wallet" philosophy. It has worked for PS2, I'm sure it will work for Wrel.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

I think it would be great if SOE could hire Wrel to create good Planetside 2 meta content, just like Bohemia Interactive hired Dslyecxi for creating official Arma 3 guides.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Just look at his 18 minutes new player introduction. It just destroys everything SOE hasput out so far.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

TRay more or less confirms that this thing is being worked on. It appears to be in the same league as the empire specific buggies that have been teased about for almost a year, so release might happen in 2015.

What place do you think there is for this huge Nanite Systems "Colossus" tank in PS2?

Right now? None. With the amount of easily accessible AV options, this thing would need some serious armor to be viable, and even then I doubt it. It's going to be slow and easy to hit. I'm guessing a Lancer squad would make short work of it.

There's a reddit post giving an idea on how big it might be. Bear in mind it's total speculation, but it's based around the turret model is the same as the one found in the tech plant.

I think this would be a welcome change. If it's as huge as that post makes out it'll be an easy target for air, but would obliterate ground vehicles.

They need to make it extremely expensive (it's own terminal that requires 2 people to dump their entire vehicle resources into i.e. 1500) and to make it extremely powerful but not invincible.

It should have limited AI capabilities (cannot aim too much to the ground, no thermal etc), have extra front and side armour, but reduced top and back armour, so it is punished if the enemy flanks, or if the enemy dominates the air.

It would be nice to see those domes on the corners have weapons attached, either things like basilisks/walkers or perhaps if it is stupid expensive (i mean really really expensive) empire specific tank weapons. You could also give it a cooldown per facility and only have it spawnable from WG or Tech plant.

I quite like the idea of trying to find a way around this behemoth using infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    It's going to be slow and easy to hit. I'm guessing a Lancer squad would make short work of it.
    A lancer squad can make short work of an entire armor column, yet we do not see that happen very often. Admittedly, the zerg sometimes pulls it off at places like Indar Excavation Site, but I would say it is still pretty rare. Teamwork and focused fire is not something that is created out of thin air.

The size of the tank, estimated to be about twice (length) or eight times (volume) that of a prowler, will of course make it a prominent feature on the battlefield, thereby drawing a lot of fire. It must have a huge amount of hp though. I'm not sure. It might have some survivability.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It entirely depends on how they decide to design this thing. For all we know, it could be a 10000 health tank with a driver and 5 gunners or so that would oneshot every other thing in the game. Or it might be slow and only have two guns as well. So, it's kinda too hard to tell at the moment.

I think it would be good as a base assault vehicle.
    - Could 1 or 2 shot base turrets
    - Carry troops (a squad?)
    - Some sort of bounce pad to help breach walls (as Grible's asked for before) or using the main gun as a ramp.