Page 2 of 306 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Medics are better off with Flak. If you own Bio, you're better with Flak. If you use the slow-healing medkits in combat, you're better with Flak.
    If you're an engineer running around in tanks/aircraft, you're better off with flak armour, since most of the damage you'll be taking is going to be from explosives.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Those at PSU on the issues with the game.

It focuses on the metagame, which I think is -the- most important thing SOE need to address. Balance issues, capping issues and all that work themselves out after a while, but they will only work themselves out if there's a larger picture that is guiding the design.

With such a lack of metagame, and the problems with what metagame exists, there seems to be little larger picture against which to set changes...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    metagame
    When will people actually learn what the word means?

And don't even get me started on "zerging"

When will people actually learn what the word means?

And don't even get me started on "zerging"
    What? The utilisation of "out of game" info / capabilities for in-game use. Like that which was central to how PS1 played out at the empire-level with the use of a wide variety of tactics that relied on communication & what API-like-things that existed that was a layer of play on top of that provided by the game software itself. Kind of like pretty much any serious action in EVE? The kind of player-drive experience in a huge multiplayer game that PS2 promises to be?

The issue being that nothing about PS2 provides very much impetus for a metgame to develop; it desperately needs work on the empire-level gameplay.

Or have I got the wrong metagaming?
    Last edited by Cooper; 05-01-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

Banned
    Maybe I'm just too twitchy about it after the official forums, but most people seem to think of "metagame" as some kind of overarching goal or objective. You'll see posts like "PS2 needs a metagame".

Every online game has a metagame, it's not something you make or unmake, it's not even something you can affect directly. It's a reaction of players to rules presented in the game.

Maybe I'm just too twitchy about it after the official forums, but most people seem to think of "metagame" as some kind of overarching goal or objective. You'll see posts like "PS2 needs a metagame".

Every online game has a metagame, it's not something you make or unmake, it's not even something you can affect directly. It's a reaction of players to rules presented in the game.
    True. People use the word metagame to mean "larger objective". It's not. Planetside needs a larger objective, locking 3 isn't enough. But that's not what the word metagame means.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Today's metagame is anti infantry vehicle cannons!
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I don't quite understand why someone is complaining for many paragraphs about how it's not efficient to do this and how the game just encourages (bluegh) "farming" and then goes on to explain his own detailed system for farming kills.

Here's a crazy idea: STOP DOING THAT. You are responsible for your own behaviour. If you don't like farming kills, don't do it. It's not like you need to do it to stay competitive - player levels are meaningless, and aside from a handful of items, most unlocks are unnecessary.

I do agree that there are too many vehicles, though.

Banned
    State of the game in a graph:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Pretty common trend for F2P though. Not having a tutorial at all is probably not helping.

Having 1/3 of the active players this long after release for a F2P game looks good.

I imagine we'll get some server merges soon enough. Which would be fine.

We're still getting enough people in-game for there to be continent queues on Miller. That's all that's needed.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Question is, how many stopped using steam, just to play without it, since there are absolutely no benefits of having it on steam apart from having it in one big messy library to brag.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I don't play via steam, and never do if I can help it, but I doubt that's a significant factor as far as that chart is concerned. Sure, more people will be playing than the graph shows, but I very much doubt it affects the proportion of players who have dropped off.

dont forget: steam only reflects the people that played in beta, and north american users. The ProSieben client is not available through steam.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

State of the game in a graph:
    (...)
    Well... the graph certainly isn't without any meaning, but I wonder why you used Chivalry as comparison, which isn't really a FPS in the same kind of style. If you look e.g. at a comparison between PS2, CODBLOPS and CS:Go you'll find a similar graph for each one of them with a huge spike at the start and a decline afterwards.

But this comparison is lacking as well, because they're not F2P games. Chivalry and CS:Go got quite some players when they went on sale, which isn't really possible for PS2 (although they could think of some kind of Starter-Pack... I think there are some MMOs on Steam that do that).

I have no idea, how many people are playing and if the decline is dramatic. I have no idea, how many players use Steam for PS2 (I don't). But ingame I'm still seeing enough guys shooting each other and I just find that showing off those graphs as some kind of proof is pretty pointless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    While I might like capping points to matter more, I do believe that increasing reward will only break the game even more, due to zergy nature of capping. We would employ zerg to zerg fights more, what isn't fun at all.
    I agree with this. The way to make things matter is not to make them give you more XP. We need more strategic/tactical bonuses for capping bases/towers, and more downsides to losing them.

Imagine the increase in satisfaction in taking a base if it was much harder to immediately take back as soon as the mass off players runs off to the next one!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TehK View Post
    Well... the graph certainly isn't without any meaning, but I wonder why you used Chivalry as comparison, which isn't really a FPS in the same kind of style.
    'cuz it's not my graph.

If you look e.g. at a comparison between PS2, CODBLOPS and CS:Go you'll find a similar graph for each one of them with a huge spike at the start and a decline afterwards.
    Seems more like spike and stabilization for BLOPS and CS:Go and steady decline for PS2 to me...

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    dont forget: steam only reflects the people that played in beta, and north american users. The ProSieben client is not available through steam.
    And there's the chinese version on top of that.

Seems more like spike and stabilization for BLOPS and CS:Go and steady decline for PS2 to me...
    not really. the good thing about PS2 is that it can spike and rest and spike again and rest. etc. It essentially filters the players that are interested and the others that arent; and itll match the players more together that do play a lot, likely to end up in known outfits battling it out together, frequently.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    That's probably because PS2 is an F2P game, which always see a massive number on launch which decays pretty fast, until you have a solid user base that has invested time and money in the game. PS2 is doing totally fine.