Page 20 of 319 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I noticed a peak of 60 members online yesterday which is really good too. Also handled another invite request via Mumble last night.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    absolutely. its disadvantage (not being able to kill infantry) is pretty damn huge for too little benefit, imo. projectile speed needs to be brought in line with at least the vanguard.
    I won't argue with it needing a buff, no! Especially with the recent tank alterations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Yes, a dude (the dude praising nick in the public platoon) wanted to join yesterday. I just sent him to rockpapershotgun.com and he found his way, so that's neat! I think that's a system that works - then we know they really do want to join.
    Find me on the Steams

Yeah, N4GATO (that's the one?) seemed like a good catch. Good job there, Nick!

I found this dissection of the level design of air towers very interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvsYZjTjSQk

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/304454444664385537

Thank turnips for that.

The hideous screen shake from random nub lightnings shelling friendly bases you're trying to fight in has long been one of my biggest hates in this game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    That video as boringly told as possible, is really good though. Debatable, but great.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/304454444664385537

Thank turnips for that.

The hideous screen shake from random nub lightnings shelling friendly bases you're trying to fight in has long been one of my biggest hates in this game.
    Try using a gauss saw at same situation
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 21-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Thank turnips for that.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Yeah, the flinching is a bit exaggerated, to be honest.

This was also an interesting topic on Reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...ry_off_matter/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    If I had a quid for every time I've lined up a good shot and lost it because of a nearby explosion, I could buy Sony outright.

Honestly though, I think it's a good feature. It makes sense, and probably saves my hide as a heavy hurling rockets into crowds as often as it ruins my sneaky flank as an infiltrator. I a bomb goes off nearby, it's going to affect you however cool you are.

I do like the suggestion (it was on Reddit) that when you have shields up, you don't get bullet flinch. If they do that and normalize the flinch (so a more damaging bullet flinches you more than a low damage one) and reduce the explosion shake a little bit it would be fine.

Flinch and shake need to be there, but right now they seem just a tad too strong.

Yeah, rate of fire has too big an impact on the flinch, too.

Network Hub
    is this their suppression mechanism then?

Yeah, just so. That's why a Mossie Hellfire barrage is so terrifying. Aside from the fact that it drops your framerate to the teens.

Also, Forward Grip for the win. I've increased my efficiency, even in close quarters quite a bit by replacing my advanced laser sight with a forward grip. Spraying from the hip with my laser sight level 2, too many of my bullets seemed to just miss their target due to lateral recoil. "So fire in bursts", they say. Only problem is if you're the only one who has to fire in bursts, you will lose the fight, since you take more hits then your enemy does.

This is on my medic with the HV-45 assault rifle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Flinch as it exists causes an imbalance between empires. For example, a Scythe's pods produce less overall explosion shake than a mossie's. A mossie can make a MAX almost blind and incredibly disorientated, the rocket pods permit enough time between volleys steady aims.

It also means TR's rapid-firing weapons produce god awful amounts of flinching...

Edit: yes yargh, this is their shit attempt at a suppression mechanism. Given how they've ripped of BF3 for so much of this game, why they didn;t just rip that fof as well I dunno...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

How does BF3 do it? (no I haven't played that game, believe it or not)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Piece of shit ate my post.

Basically, screen gets blurry if someone fires near you. Flinching is okay but should not happen when shielded, yeah. It should also be normalized somehow so it's not only ROF that flinches you. More damaging weapon? Bigger flinch, or something like that.

Then the NC instead of the TR would be OP as fuck though so I dunno.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Also this odd scope flincing when moving could go. That's annoying as hell. Especially since the NV is the only scope which doesn't have it (whats so special about it?) and with some scops its more then with others. Totally confusing "mechanic".

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Also, Forward Grip for the win. I've increased my efficiency, even in close quarters quite a bit by replacing my advanced laser sight with a forward grip. Spraying from the hip with my laser sight level 2, too many of my bullets seemed to just miss their target due to lateral recoil. "So fire in bursts", they say. Only problem is if you're the only one who has to fire in bursts, you will lose the fight, since you take more hits then your enemy does.

This is on my medic with the HV-45 assault rifle.
    My experience too. I don't know what it is but the only situation where laser sights seem to be effective are when using LA and jumping/flying. Outdside of that I would recommend Forward Grip all the time. Especially on weapons with large(r) recoil.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Yeah, N4GATO (that's the one?) seemed like a good catch. Good job there, Nick!
    Yeah, that's the guy! And thanks!

After seeing how last night went, i personally think the public platoon worked really well. With the exception of one or two squad members ghost capping, non outfit members generally stuck together and worked well as a group. I didnt use the in-game platoon comms, just the platoon chat, but even then people still managed to follow orders. Ridebird mentioned at one point during the night, and it's true after seeing it for myself: The public VS seem to appreciate the oppertunity to jump into a platoon lead by sombody giving them direction. Also, on the side, i noticed several members and leaders of allied outfits join...

I recieved quite a few praising /tells from random people in the platoon throughout the night, some asking how to join up... So far as i can tell, i've only seen proof that N4GATO made it through our forum link, website, mumble invite process. Which i agree with Ridebird, is a system we should certainly stick by. It's "Fool proof" you might say... :'X *pppfffffffffffffff*

I would certainly champion the use of a public platoon alongside our StratGir/SpecGir one/s tonight. Would anyone be willing to do that? It's literally the perfect PL experience for people who havnt PL yet but who have previously SL. Or for those who have and would like to do so some more... I have some advice for those that do: Communicate to them in platoon chat a lot (hopefully they will have that tab open) or better yet use the in-game platoon coms. DiG used the latter to great effect, as i witnessed in the past. Also, (unless we have the following, enticing setup) it may need a bit of momentum to fill up to a full strength platoon. So either expect it to snowball and to be moving people over from alpha a lot, or, expect it to only be a squad or two. Or more likely, a mixture of both throughout the evening. Such is PLing.

Just think though, if tonight, someone wanting to join an organised VS squad logs in and sees this pop up-

'[RPS] - Amerish - StratGir'

'[RPS] - Amerish
    - SpecGir'

'[RPS] - Amerish - Public Platoon 1, 2... etc'

-One could argue, they may want to get involved with the RPS action on Amerish.

It's 'purple propaganda' and 'Vanu advertisement' i guess. Miller VS can only really see whats going on (in terms of the bigger picture) using their UI: chat, join a squad tab, /orders and hud.

If the VS see there's a large, organised outfit push for another/any continent, and that they can join in, they might come and support us. Also, it shows all our Allies (before/when they go to join their platoons) where we are and what we're doing that evening. Furthermore, I guess it flashes our name up there doesnt it, fulfilling our personal RPS desire to be Miller's flagship VS outfit!
    Last edited by NickWhite; 21-02-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Big news!! The PS2 API went live today. You get detailed-ish stats about your char, and outfit etc.
    that's the link: https://players.planetside2.com

what our SLs and BLs may find pretty useful (in case they have a 2nd monitor) is this: https://players.planetside2.com/#!/planetstatus i'm pretty sure that this displays the status of the continents in realtime/on refresh