Page 229 of 319 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,580 of 6366
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    I only wish, I could TORQ on my NC :/ it's the most fun AR, I've ever fired...
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Oh I see! Thanks for clarifying

SOE really need to add more than just 1 thing though in my opinion. Medic is great fun but it could really do with more depth!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Oh I see! Thanks for clarifying

SOE really need to add more than just 1 thing though in my opinion. Medic is great fun but it could really do with more depth!
    Yeah, the medic update seems to be a complete ticking the boxes update. We're going to update all the classes. Hmm, medic. Yeah, we added something extra, done.

I'm also curious as to who went "We need to make locking down a building an even stronger tactic". Clearly not someone who plays on Miller.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The problem is Medic is too good. How do you improve that which is pretty much perfect? Erm, add a right-click med tool option for revive would be a start.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I'm also curious as to who went "We need to make locking down a building an even stronger tactic". Clearly not someone who plays on Miller.
    New alert type: [MCY] lock down a random building and all three factions work together for two hours to try to remove them.

Yes, point defence will now take more skill to break. I'm keen to see that meta develop.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Wait, this is a 'medic update' not just a 'we slightly changed the medic stuff' update? What a load of wank.

I hope that stronger building holds force us to be more organised on a general basis. Groouping up before we go in, concs in first, LAs and C4 and heavies with Decis next. Not just drip feeding the ScatMAXs certs like we sometimes do...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Yes, point defence will now take more skill to break.
    Surely only one skill: spamming the outside of the building with EMP 'nades?

Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    Surely only one skill: spamming the outside of the building with EMP 'nades?
    Maybe. Though I often find that doesn't work because point rooms can be large and sometimes it's hard to get the EMP in the right spot. Imagine the classic SCU shield gen building in a biolab for example. In that case you'll probably need a mix of grenades and all classes with a progressive push into the room so that it's not a single volley of grenades.

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Maybe. Though I often find that doesn't work because point rooms can be large and sometimes it's hard to get the EMP in the right spot. Imagine the classic SCU shield gen building in a biolab for example. In that case you'll probably need a mix of grenades and all classes with a progressive push into the room so that it's not a single volley of grenades.
    That's always been true, though. Now you just need to guarantee EMP grenades on top of Concussion and AV. Keep in mind that this device, like other deployables, will presumably be destroyed by EMP grenade blasts.

Since you presumably need to be relatively close to the shield device, you've got goods odds of taking it out with the first volley.

Below is an extract from Mustarde's blog which I find myself identifying with. Commence the discussion about what the game's become, what the outfit is about and what we still enjoy about PS2.

For me (Wally), I get the most fun from constant fast paced gameplay that makes my mind spin really fast and get's me lots of kills per hour. That is now basically my main thing now. If kills per hour is high then I'm probably happy. If it's low then I'm probably a bit bored. Though I am still interested in how people get higher scores per minute with lower kills per hour - basically, how do they kills so many vehicles? But as is clear from the above, the traditional win states of PS2 don't really mean so much to me. Continent locking isn't really a goal or a prize and alerts are basically just a reflection of population stats. Improving my own ability and beating other players feels like winning.

Now, Mustarde's longer and more eloquent take on things:

This is a deviation from the usual infiltrator-specific discussion I post on the blog, but has been on my mind a lot lately. I hope you don’t mind.

While I love playing infiltrator, by most metrics, the class I play most often in Planetside 2 is the Farmer. As someone who has been a devoted fan and player since launch day, hitting Battle Rank 100 sometime in June 2013, I have evolved into what most players like me have become.

What is a “farmer” in Planetside 2? There are several ways to define this term, mine is just an opinion. It is using a combination of skill, ability to chose good fights (which are not in-fact “good” fights), and the use of high-efficiency/low-risk equipment to maximize your score/min and KDR. On the surface, this sounds like a terrible way to play the game, and contrary to everything Planetside stands for. I know. But stay with me here.

Most of us don’t start out as farmers. We may be “good players”, but we spent time in organized outfits, trying to win fights and warpgate the enemy or win alerts. For me, that was a big deal 9 months ago. Then, at some point, you log in and find yourself fighting at the same base you were at yesterday. Or that you randomly have the lock on an empty continent and someone else has indar locked but doesn’t care. At this point, many dedicated PS2 players left the game, waiting for new updates, metagame, or continents to bring them back. Those of us left behind needed a new way to enjoy logging in, to feel a sense of accomplishment in a game shockingly devoid of lasting achievement. Enter the Farm.

Who cares if you got pushed back to your warpgate when the entire time your allies got crushed you were rocking a 7.0 session KDR with a sniper rifle? Conversely, it sucks winning a fight that required you to hurl your body at a pile of scatmaxes and walk away with 1 kill and 10 deaths. When winning and losing stop mattering, dedicated and talented players naturally look towards their own performance as a measurement of success in-game, and this success breeds enjoyment and fun. I have a hard time logging out when my KDR is floating above 4-5 and I’m averaging 80-100 kills per hour. It’s FUN, and has remained fun even as I approach 45 million XP and 107,000 kills. It’s why guys like Future Crew, DA and EXOC are still playing. And when there is little else to keep players engaged in the actual outcomes of a fight, who can blame those BR100 farmers in their OP weapon killing squads of pubs at a time?

This becomes a real problem for me, as I am a member of a highly organized and objective-based outfit, the Black Widow Company. While I love the guys and the foundation that the outfit is built upon, it can be down-right frustrating to join a squad and be ordered into fights where there are low chances for a lot of kills or even worse, a fight where you are likely to get farmed. I cringe when we are being sent to a random base while 48+ vanu are throwing their faces at regent rock, waiting for me to tear through them.

And thus, the guilt. PS2 is not a solo players game. It isn’t designed to reward lone wolf play, and there are countless times when even the best player could use some help, such as a pocket engineer, a secondary gunner or a friendly medic. At the same time, we are in a holding pattern, waiting for the game to bring us a reason to be organized again. Alerts… they help. They give outfits a set of goals and reasons to achieve them. But the best thing alerts do is concentrate the enemy into a single hex so I can farm them more efficiently.

I want the old school continent lock, where your KDR didn’t matter, if the Vanu had indar locked it MATTERED. And the only goal when logging in was to try and take that away. This intercontinental lattice is promising, but looks so far away. We need more, and I hope SOE comes up with a way to make that happen. Because right now I’m feeling the dichotomy – I’m playing a great game and having a blast while bouncing around to the largest fights to maximize my kills, and minimize my deaths. It stands in sharp contrast to the (usual) goals of the outfit, who is trying to push a lane and gain territory, with the ultimate goal of warpgating the enemy. Sometimes we get a PL who says fuck it, and sends us to the best farm and lets us camp there until it dries up. But that isn’t really healthy either is it?

Farmer’s guilt. Man, I didn’t see that one coming

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'm the complete opposite. If kdr mattered to me there are plenty of games out there where it's a more important metric (and it should be known that even in those games I was the guy that repeatedly threw away his life just to try and break a stalemate). I'm having my most fun trying umpteen different routes to get to a point room past a spawn room, that's been there from the start, and that's what's driven me from the start.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm also the opposite. My favourite times in PS2 are generally when I'm what would be considered a support role - chasing down sunderers (my favourite), AA (my second favourite), running repair/ammo sunderers or engineering, and running point as a heavy. None of those things get me lots of kills. I do enjoy getting solo killstreaks as an infil as well, but I would much rather be doing the above with a nice squad.

It's funny. I've been having a argument on Reddit about alerts for a little while now and the viewpoints that come across are interesting. People say that they like alerts because although they are functionally meaningless, the little bit of extra XP and the "TR victory" screen at the end make it feel like they've achieved something. Yet this is in opposition to what seems to be why most people like these fights - that they're busier and you can get more kills, a lot of the time by farming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The key thing, as that dude points out in his post, is introducing continent locking/inter-continent lattice. I really hope these get implemented soon (along with Hossin, since it is required in the proposed set up). It's been intended since the game pretty much launched, everything in the meantime feels temporary/unfinished.

Personally I don't get much enjoyment from directionless farming, which is prob why I'm still BR60-something. But I can understand where he is coming from.

I'd imagine that those locking down rooms will have the concussion grenade negating implant on, and then flak armour to negate the AV grenade spam

my concern about implants is that it will feed the `loadout` meta game more than anything else. I hate that feeling in PS2 that you've brought a knife to a gunfight by rocking the `wrong` loadout for the current situation you're facing.. my worry is that implants will excerbate this..
    Last edited by Henlaaz; 16-05-2014 at 03:23 PM.

I'm with Wally on this. For us, we don't use KDR to measure ourselves against others. We go out and use it as metric to gauge how we are performing as individuals. As we play offensively, as opposed to support, we use it to see how we are faring compared to, say, last month, or last week. For me, a bad day has my KD below 1.5. Above that and I'm having what I deem to be fun by killing people lots of times.

Now what people understand by farming is usually the extreme, someone like Daddy, or LazyTR who sit in a vehicle with very little risk to themselves and go nuts, over and over again. I don't have the patience for this. Instead I go out with the expectation to die, but let's see how many kills I can get with that brick of C4, or let's see if I can keep my Score per hour over 30k for 1 hour constantly.

I guess it kind of harks back to games before the internet, MMO's and the "metagame". Like Space Invaders. Why did they want to play those games over and over? To beat the high score. And then beat their high score.

What we term by "farming" isn't just doing the same thing over and over, I think we'd have both lost interest by now, it's more finding the "right" fights.

Not equal fights, not underpopped ones, or hugely over popped, but ones where it's about 30-40% us, usually defences as it means a regular spawn. We're not sitting in the spawn room firing out and hoping for the best. We're strapping C4 to each other and seeing who can get more kills as an infil bomb. We're having competitions between us to see how many kills we can get before the timer runs down.

It keeps us interested, keeps the action constantly intense, and keep us on our toes.

Whilst continent locking and the like will add a nice distraction, and (hopefully) change the "metagame" (i really hate that term) I will always come back to trying to beat the scores I have previously set myself, and beat Wally at our silly challenges at each fight.

That's where the fun lies for me. That's what farming is to me. And that's what this game is about to me. Getting better at it.
    SpellSlinger: Dewi | Warrior: Scyala

Join RPS in Wildstar!
    Check out the new player thread for info on how to join!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    I guess it kind of harks back to games before the internet, MMO's and the "metagame".
    Completely. The game I've put most time into besides PS2 is Mount and Blade Warband and most of that time was multiplayer. There's utterly zero progression in that game but it had me hooked to see if I could get to the top of the leaderboard in each match. Plus the reflexes required for winning those sword duels got the heart racing. I now play PS2 like that. In some sense I'm missing the point of PS2 but I enjoy what I do. That's why my No.1 measure of success is kills per hour. I'm not so fussed for KD so long as I'm killing loads of bad guys quickly. And with a gun, not a vehicle. I have a quiet loathing for the 'real' farmers - the ones that use their tractors. I'm more like a landscape gardener.

Wally is now on Steam!

Hmm, was lurking here and stumbled on that. Very interesting blog post, i find it closely match some of my feelings.

I suck at the game, never managed to get that lifetime KDR of 1, but the reason i stopped is exactly what the guy is talking about. Back in december, my goals started to drift from team-focused, to single-player focus. I was looking more and more at my stats instead of what the current objective was. I was only happy in battle that provided kills, and even started to drift away from the team to chase kills. For all intents and purpose, i was farming (even if i sucked at it).

And as someone who is very much into coop / team-based stuff (both in video games and boardgames) that wasn't normal, and made me angry with myself and the game and everything else. I knew i had to quit before I negatively affected the outfit. Hence why i suddenly disappeared back in January.

To this day I'm still not sure what prompted the drift from enjoying PS2 as teamgame to that focus on stats but the drift was very clear.
    Last edited by Ksempac; 16-05-2014 at 10:55 PM.

I worry a little that I'm at the thin end of the wedge. I've become obsessed by my KDR, I no longer enjoy leading squads or gods forbid a platoon.
    I'm nearly always going into the fight alone, so I can pick my own positions and so on. Even if I'm still in the same place as my squad I'm not fighting as part of it anymore. Not in the same way as I used to as a squad leader or a Medic/Eng, I do dislike the fights where I'm getting shot a lot due to having to assault a defended possession 'for the faction' rather than being able to pick my own fights.

I think it's true, the lack of a tangible "win" for the team hurts the game. Cont locking was awesome. Alerts are great - but too short term. Having dipped into PS1, look at all those continents, look at all the bases and how certs actually mattered!

About guilt and the idea that solo play and tracking stats is bad...

I've found that I've become a much better player from playing solo and that persists when I'm playing with the platoon. And I don't just mean kd ratio which can be a dubious measure (if it's only high because of avoiding tough fights). I mean accuracy, strafing, using cover, awareness, firing lines, escaping. The game badly needs meaning of it's to have a long term future but the short term stuff is not in any way bad or second rate. Indeed I think we'd all be more successful in competitions and on live if everyone had higher personal skill and that can be achieved through solo play very effectively.

Wally is now on Steam!

Network Hub
    The latest Nvidia beta drivers have fixed the "black screen" driver crash bug, at least for me. It's beta, so try it at your own risk.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/...ta_driver.html

I'm running Win7 64 bit + GTX 770, and it's pretty much golden, two hours of play at a smooth 60FPS and no unusual behaviour. People on Reddit are mostly finding it works too, but for a few complaining of strange bugs.