Page 255 of 318 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 6352
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfieV View Post
    When Jim's articles finally convinced me to try PS2, I found that it was on Steam as free-to-play, clicked download, etc ( and then waited another day whilst the actual launcher updated!).
    Ditto, steam saved me from quite the headache it seems.

So, ProSiebeners, what is going to be your first community marketplace purchase? Is there a particular item you've been dying to get?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    From the wording of the first sentence it looks like this is a response to player feedback (which has been almost universally shit!) - Hooray SOE!

Although I suspect that they may have done the math on how much money they weren't making from player studio purchases.

I mean, a lot of people on Reddit have already posted how they'll be purchasing SC straight away. I know I probably will.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    'Player Studio really has been a good thing for the game, and probably made SOE a good chunk of dollars, so not ahving that for your Pro7 account must be quite a drag.

I got the impression that the Pro7 people are actually pretty good folks to deal with, though. They've seemed really friendly and helpful with organising in-game events and such, and they've even played with us a few times. What beef do people have with them, really?
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    What beef do people have with them, really?
    I've always had pretty good responses when I've had a problem, but essentially I think it might be because they were essentially powerless to resolve those problems - they had to wait for SOE to fix them. Like the recent membership bug.

Right, that sounds reasonable and rhymes well with what I've sniffed out from other people's discussions. Must be a thankless job...

Speaking of t(h)anks: discuss please:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...6#post-2754484
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think that even with large-ish playtests on the PTS, we need to be more accommodating of SOE making large changes and then gradually rolling them back to balance on Live, which is the only place you get real situational information from. The Harasser nerf has come up a lot in these discussions - the fact that the harasser was essentially useless for a little while - but now I think it's in a good place, with a very defined battlefield role and one that is well utilised by people in organised squads.

So I'm for making big tank changes, have some of them be shit and some maybe OP for a little while, and then bring them back into balance. And yes, I drive Vanguards but not Mags so the OP bit is probably going to be on my side, but hell, magriders are apparently rubbish at the moment but I still get killed in my Vanguard by them a lot and there's still lots of dedicated (read dickhead) mag drivers that do well in them (looking at you, Ygritte...).

Network Hub
    I think the problem with Pro Sieben would be the lack of all access. I mean it would be really silly for P7 customers to only have subscription to planetside2 while SOE customers get all the games. If h1z1 or EQ:Next won't be poop I think the subscription will be really good value.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmaz View Post
    I think the problem with Pro Sieben would be the lack of all access. I mean it would be really silly for P7 customers to only have subscription to planetside2 while SOE customers get all the games. If h1z1 or EQ:Next won't be poop I think the subscription will be really good value.
    Yep.

Don't know enough about tanking to really engage with everything that guy suggests, but I appreciate the idea of keeping reverse speed slightly lower than forward speed, so you cannot outrun other tanks while reversing. And the suggestion of increasing Mag strafe speed to make up for the relative nerf resulting from the stability buff.

Yeah Boffin, big changes first and tune them once you see how they work on live is a way to do it. I even agree that it may be a decent way to do it some times. The problem I see is that big changes tend to have big consequences and, in the case of Planetside 2, have a tendency to stay in the game for a long time (see first iteration Harasser, Prowler lockdown bullet velocity bug, early post-launch ESF rocket pods, first iteration Annihilator/Striker, MANA AV turrets...). I realise you need a few weeks' worth of data to let post-buff/nerf usage spikes normalise to be able to tell what kind of effect the changes actually had, but some of these things have been blatantly broken for a long time before being fixed.

At the same time, I feel like SOE have become more responsive lately, and that weapon balance is actually pretty decent these days. I seem to get screwed over by network latency, weird hit detection, mouse sensitivity issues or just simple lack of twitch skills these days.

We shall see how it goes.

Regarding what that guy wrote, I agree that adding "more gravity" (cringeworthy wording!! gravity is a motherfucking constant (or more or less, at the elevations we move at in PS2)) to the projectiles is a bad move. Having reverse speed the same as forward speed, while actually being pretty true to reality (many tanks can in fact reverse at nearly the same speed as their forward motion allows) I think it would break gameplay balance. His reasoning around tank speeds seems solid enough, and pretty fair and unbiased, despite him being a self-professed Vanguard farm--, eh.. driver.

I also agree that the Vulcan probably got over-nerfed, and that the MAgrider deserves some counterbuff as reparation for the fact that other tanks now get a huge increase in mobile effectiveness. The Magburner "coasting" he suggests sounds like a neat start, and an increase in strafe speed would help bridge the effectiveness gap at long range, where the Magrider's comparatively slow projectile speeds are a very serious drawback.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Boffin That would be insane. Now that stuff has been play-tested by somewhat experienced crews, it's apparent that this whole thing is MASSIVE buff for vanguards and an equally massive nerf for Magriders. So, if you think this deserves to go live and then adjusted later, let's add a few things:

Magrider now strafes at 40 KPH and loses all strafe-intertia. Reload speeds on Magrider primaries are reduced by .25 seconds.
    Do that, and everything else could go live and then adjusted. If you think this is a bit crazy, you should probably re-evaluate your position re the whole package going live, because that's just as crazy.

P.S. The mag is definitely not a bad tank right now. Balance is as good as it's ever been, if you're looking at tank + halberd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Just wondering Qaz, as I look at the numbers and most of them keep roughly the same with a few tweaks. The massive buff the vanguard gets is the suppose acceleration buff, right? As that does not have much of an impact at all. I might have missed something else.

edit: And the gyrostabelizer, but thats something the prowler gets as well :P
    Last edited by Dominicus; 18-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    Steam: Dominicus

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    Just wondering Qaz, as I look at the numbers and most of them keep roughly the same with a few tweaks. The massive buff the vanguard gets is the suppose acceleration buff, right? As that does not have much of an impact at all. I might have missed something else.

edit: And the gyrostabelizer, but thats something the prowler gets as well :P
    No, it's the whole package. First, the velocity + gravity changes cause some range compression because shooting at stuff at longer ranges will a) be harder and b) more ineffective due to strafing, which is the second thing. In the play-test, side to side strafing with vanguards, especially when abusing the gear pop, has been extremely effective, mostly thanks to the addition of stabilisation.

So, what you then get in the vanguard is a platform that's super tanky (especially with side-armour), has great forward and backward acceleration, can evade shots better at range than mags, and is the best close-range brawler thanks to the shield. To top it all off, it now is also faster than a mag.

This whole thing isn't just about a single one these changes, but how the whole gets shifted by their combination. It's quite substantial and from what I read, most of the vanguard drivers that partook in the playtest agree that putting this on live would be crazy.
    Last edited by qaz; 18-06-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    @Boffin That would be insane. Now that stuff has been play-tested by somewhat experienced crews, it's apparent that this whole thing is MASSIVE buff for vanguards and an equally massive nerf for Magriders.
    If you actually read the reports from the playtest, that's not what happened. All the tanks were performing OK in a given situation. Yes, the Vanguard is buffed and now becomes able to rush other tanks, which it couldn't before, so it can become a frontline bruiser, but the lockdown prowlers were still owning everything at long range and magriders were still flanking and blowing up vanguards. Plus the fact that the playtest didn't involve much infantry on the ground.

Of course I'm biased on this, but I don't really care what they do to balance tanks at the minute until I see the changes and what they do the game itself. I'd rather they fixed blatantly broken stuff like libs first.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    In the play-test, side to side strafing with vanguards, especially when abusing the gear pop, has been extremely effective, mostly thanks to the addition of stabilisation.

So, what you then get in the vanguard is a platform that's super tanky (especially with side-armour), has great forward and backward acceleration, can evade shots better at range than mags, and is the best close-range brawler thanks to the shield.
    Well side to side strafing is essentially useless except in 1v1 and where the enemy stays at range (and they explicitly found that the Vanguard couldn't jink out of lockdown prowler AP). And the other buff makes it better at closing range.

So at long range it's better at evading shots, but really you want to be closing that range (directly, so unable to 'strafe') and popping shield. And if you stay at range you'll be torn apart by AP prowlers.

So I genuinely, honestly don't think that this is as big a buff as you think when applied to real situations. Sure, the numbers look shitty, but I just think we'll see more Vanguard rushes, where the strafing becomes irrelevant. I do think the mag could do with a little more strafe speed, but meh, I hate driving magriders.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Lockdown prowlers have way higher velocities than anything else that can shoot you though (with the exception of lancers), and to evade them too, you need to be back a bit further. Either way, adding this MUCH improved strafing ability to all tanks basically boosts their capability to actively evade shots at mid-long range while firing back. Let's just file this under "added defense mechanisms".

You're right in saying that you want to be at close range, of course. Thing is, with tanks evading shells at medium range more easily, everyone should be trying to get closer so they can kill stuff. I guess you can see where this is going ... on a tank for tank basis, nothing beats vanguards at close range.

Oh, on that note ... there's the reverse speed buff too. It allows immediate retreat back into cover while presenting front armour. I.e., you mess up and you get to retreat WAY easier now. That is, if you're a tank with a turret.

So, I don't know ... but I don't think you realise how significant this whole thing is for mag pilots. We're basically looking at a mini-GU2 here and hoping that we're not going to suffer an unusable tank for another six months just isn't good enough.

Lookathis, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Higby
    Our plan as of right now is to get Hossin, continent locking, outfit recruitment & outfit base capture live with next week's update.

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/479399256814403584

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Best birthday present ever!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Woah, that's quite a lot much sooner than expected! Should be awesome!

--
    This post goes into more detail regarding the mag's problems in the new meta, for those that are interested. The stuff above is relevant for general use, while the stuff in the post is pretty specific to the racer/stealth style of play.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...4#post-2757746

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Lookathis, people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Higby
    Our plan as of right now is to get Hossin, continent locking, outfit recruitment & outfit base capture live with next week's update.

https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/479399256814403584

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Give please.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Network Hub
    Everything will break. EVERYTHING. I love it already