Page 36 of 320 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    They just need to make maxes less vulnerable to max AI weapons so the best way to kill a scatmax would be to get a Max with AT weapons. That way people can have super awesome infantry killer maxes that will get roflstomped as soon as someone brings a max with anti max weapons.

With that the AT weapons for the maxes could be made more unique and effective against armored target (specifically other maxes but also tanks etc).

Generally all max weapons need a big overhaul to make them different from each other so there actually is a choice instead of one of them just being better than the other in every possible way like for the VS Max.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Yeah, I'd also like a refund for my Blueshifts, Nebulas, my second Quasar and my Comets, as they are all completely without purpose.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've started to avoid getting in shoot outs now. I'll solely play the role of a medic or an engi because I'm just tired of losing in a shoot out. I'm not going to claim I've the best aim ever, but there's times where my weapon (solstice SF) just feels like I'd be doing more damage with a nerf gun.

All the while I've got HA guys half way across the map, mowing me down in a second to a hail of bullets.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

HA vs Engineer you are quite likely to lose at mid-long range. Try out the HV45 for the Medic for close/mid. Very high DPS.

I personally don't really like the Solstice SF at all unless I know I must do long range fights as LA. The VX is superior for LA otherwise, and for the engineer I am rarely that bothered at shooting as stuff as I only play it if I'm in a vehicle.
    Find me on the Steams

Network Hub
    if you're looking at a standup fight without any flanking or other interesting possibilities, then you want to be Heavy Assault, Medic, or AI MAX.

The Engineer has a support role in this kind of battle (as in most fights). I'm pretty happy with my Solstice SF, I just need to remember to use the smoke grenades more often.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I use them all the time, they're great. I just find the damage output on the S-SF isn't great at all. My issue is just the amount of times I find myself losing in what is otherwise a one on one fight.

I'll try the medic out for a while though.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

The Solstice SF has a very low rate of fire which is all bad in Planetside. I personally feel that the Solstice really lacks a punch for it's very low rate of fire.
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The Solstice is ok for mid-range stuff, but it doesn't kill very quickly, unfortunately. The underbarrel grenades can be useful in biolabs though. As ridebird said, a heavy with the orion (cqc) or pulsar LSW is good, or a medic with the HV45.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I'm actually starting to love my second Comet. It's a decent AV weapon. Pretty much sucks at AI as you have a single infantry three times but it's useable as AV. Not what I would expect from a dedicated AV platform but not as bad as people make it.
    But overall, yes, max are pretty lackluster.

Also I started playing around with my Lasher in Biolabs. Starting to like it. You wont get as many kills as with other weapons but you are getting a ton of assist xp. Also it's pretty good against maxes and with the extended mag you can lay down supressing fire like forever. Nobody is coming through that door as long as you shoot it. Perfect for giving your guys time and space to advance. Two or three of those can really be a pain in the ass to deal with.
    Is there any reason to not choose the extended mag? I don't have the feeling that the forward grip does the weapon much good? been hipfiring most of the time anyway... And for a laser sight it's already pretty much dead accurate from the hip.

One question: I have 250 certs to spent and as I cannot afford the Saron I am thinking halberd or ppa as secondary (already have AV as my primary). Any sugestions? Halbert seems to have better AV damage but PPA seems to be decent against everything. Testing in VR gave nothing a real edge. But I am tending towards PPA.
    Last edited by bonkers; 19-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.

You will kill a vehicle ten times as quick as a heavy then with a Comet, and you will also hit what you are aiming for. I've tried the Comet numerous times and never killed a tank with it.

The Lasher is indeed great against maxes and in bios! I do teamkill tons with it tho.

I would highly recommend the Halberd over the PPA since the PPA is basically infantry only. You want an AV weapon on a tank.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    You will kill a vehicle ten times as quick as a heavy then with a Comet, and you will also hit what you are aiming for. I've tried the Comet numerous times and never killed a tank with it.
    Well, I would say it depends on the range of moving targets. The problem of the comet is the firing angle and it's slow speed which is hard to predict on moving targets. But as long as tanks stand still or move only slightly I find it pretty easy to aim with the comet. Which of course is always the case but as I am playing max quiet a lot it's good to have a AV setup ready without changing classes and going on cooldown.
    As said, it still could be better (in many situations being a HA is surely better) but it's not that bad. (PS: talking double comet. A single one is pretty much useless as with any max weapon)

And yeah, forgot to test some of the vehicle damage with ppa/halbert and although it says the PPA is good against everything it is abysmal against vehicles. Even a Lightings back armor holds to a PPA forever. It looked "okayish" from the front and versus a vanguard (for not being a AV weapon) but after some more testing: going Halbert. It pretty much is a smaller Saron. Also the Halbert does tons of damage versus sunderers. Or maybe someone else was firing at the sundi but I didn't see anyone. I have to look into that.
    Last edited by bonkers; 19-03-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    good god! get the saron or the halberd!!!

also, the lancer will make the comets 100% obsolete, unfortunately. Unless they have even worse killing speed than the comets, which is something that could absolutely happen.

Well, the problem with the Comet is that it has absolutely awful TTK and does like no damage at all. It doesn't help that it is inaccurate. If it did even a third of the damage of a standard dumbfire it would be fine.

PPA is really not that great for anything but having it on a Scythe and firing it unchallenged in to an infantry blob, which like never happens.
    Find me on the Steams

Activated Node
    I like the comet as anti-inf, so long as they are silly enough to stand still. Can be useful against maxs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Eh, the comet sucks a bit as an AV weapon, I have gotten vehicle kills with it but then I've been sort of sniping from behind other tanks/inf. It could use a higher rate of fire since it doesn't really do much damage. I also like to stagger-fire the pair, it makes it seem more beefy. A heavy even with the dumbfire is far more dangerous to a tank than a max with two comets attached in my experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Can we wait for Max revamp atm, we'll be able to whine then.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Well, us Vanu can whine just fine right now, seeing as we don't have maxes that are op as shit
    Find me on the Steams

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Speaking of op as shit .... 2/2 flashes with wraith module and the phoenix in the back seat. I'm worried!

I'm definitely not a pro at this game, but i have noticed that Vanu Maxes are far less threatening than TR, or probably NC (i only play NC so its harder to compare).

My main gripe is rocket pods. So many times i have died to them. I don't resent them on principle, but they seem a far better option than a Liberator with anti infantry or anti tank for that matter, especially since you only need one player and that player has an easier time dealing with anti air (both land based and opposing aircraft). I also feel that they don't require a lot of skill by the user (i could be wrong here, i havent bought em yet, and probably wont out of spite). In a lightning i can often dodge the first two or even three salvos of rockets, maybe get hit by one round, but the third or fourth salvo often gets me. Perhaps i should become more skilled, but it seems a little lame that a player can miss three times and still win. Some of the less capable pilots come in at too lower angle and i can give them a face full of tank shell, but this is rare.

Pretty much every other foe i face, i feel in some way empowered to deal with. If im attacked by a tank as infantry, i might be able to take it down, or hide, if i'm tracked by a lib, its two or three on one, which seems more legitimate, and its still easier to evade or out run than a single fighter craft with rocket pods (its slower, easier to hit, and the bomber has a limited view angle).

In my view rocket pods should be not necessarily be nerfed in terms of damage, but a little harder to use. Perhaps a lower ammo count, (im not sure what default is, but i've suffered 4 or more runs with out the craft going off to reload), or lower accuracy at mid range, or perhaps they should make the fighter in question slightly less mobile, so they are easier for other fighters to take down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeOfChutney View Post
    Perhaps a lower ammo count, (im not sure what default is, but i've suffered 4 or more runs with out the craft going off to reload)...
    TR has a constant barrage of 20 missiles, NC 16 slightly longer apart, VS has 14 plasma blobs always firing in pairs with an even longer time between salvoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yargh View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my Solstice SF, I just need to remember to use the smoke grenades more often.
    Yeah, the SF trades DPS (in the form of slower rate of fire) for utility (in the form of various underbarrl attachments etc.). I've mostly stopped using the SF because it doen't kill fast enough. The VX6-7 is my go-to weapon for engineers nowadays. Or the Nova (always with extend mag, and sometimes with slugs and the OG-4X scope). Or the Eidolon, for some outdoor fights.