Page 65 of 320 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 6383
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It looks very nice to look at but tactically it's a bit crap.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    It looks very nice to look at but tactically it's a bit crap.
    I do believe with current set base time captures it's actually not. Backcapping, small caps, spreading and defending your frontal assaut bases will be crucial and zerg going to one place could be possibly outplayed by smarter oponents:
    You can base, they have connection from to place they're atacking, then you take back the points and you're safe. Bigger facilities with undefended satelites can be just denied by a squad or two versus platoons in smart play.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

I think I'd just like to see it with a hex grid over it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hexes don't really have any place once the new connections go in. That screenshot looks like a much better way of representing the new system (plus the grid overlay finally becomes usable, perhaps even useful?).

As a non-PS1-player I suppose this is an alternative to the Hex-System with the connections of the Testserver Indar map? Connections within the empire boarders are in empire colour, every other is yellow?
    What does the intensity of the colours mean?
    And HOW DID THIS GUY GET 89195 CERTS????

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Qw33r View Post
    And HOW DID THIS GUY GET 89195 CERTS????
    Dev cheats :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Hexes don't really have any place once the new connections go in. That screenshot looks like a much better way of representing the new system (plus the grid overlay finally becomes usable, perhaps even useful?).
    The grid system is useful and usable already, it just needs finer granularity. A lot of outfits have come up with ways to improve it and are actively using it. They just separate each axis coordinate into at least four more, so for instance A to B is further divided into A1, A2, A3, and A4. 1 to 2 is 1A, 1B, 1C and 1D. So, if you go to ps2maps.com, the map of Indar and enable grid, the spawn room of the Crown is roughly within grid quadrant I39B.

Azure Twilight have it divided in such a way that they can pinpoint objects within a margin of 10 meters.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 10-05-2013 at 01:05 PM.

sounds terribly complicated
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    I can see how it would be useful, but I have enough trouble with East and West, or is it West and East?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I actually find that figuring out the frontline seems pretty straightforward. Just look for the smaller dashed yellowish lines. I suppose they're also animated somehow to further distinguish them from each other. But being used to the hex system now, it is probably going to take a while to get used to. If this is indeed what we will get in the end, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    sounds terribly complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlywombat View Post
    I can see how it would be useful, but I have enough trouble with East and West, or is it West and East?
    Only needs some consensus and practice. Once those are achieved, it is actually simpler to say "squad to building in grid I39B" than to say "squad to the two story building west of B, not the northwest one".

Of course I am not suggesting it for us, just pointing out what some established and successful outfits are doing.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 10-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.

If you were playing with the same 39 other people night in night out, it'd be easy.

Since we're so open, it'd be next to impossible for us.

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    If you were playing with the same 39 other people night in night out, it'd be easy.

Since we're so open, it'd be next to impossible for us.
    I agree with you, but not because of that. Such outfits have a way to cope with membership turnover. It is training. Within a couple of sessions even the newer members know the basic jargon and tactics of the outfit, and how they can communicate and coordinate with each other. The rest is advanced training in particular tactics, which actually I find redundant. If people know what to say, how to move, and how to redeploy and form up in a timely and orderly fashion, the rest is just particular applications at particular situations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    Only needs some consensus and practice. Once those are achieved, it is actually simpler to say "squad to building in grid I39B" than to say "squad to the two story building west of B, not the northwest one".

Of course I am not suggesting it for us, just pointing out what some established and successful outfits are doing.
    It's powerful, but you really need to get to be an addict of something this organized. Not me, it's so not fun.

Also would be great to refine command interface more, it's real crap atm.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    It's powerful, but you really need to get to be an addict of something this organized. Not me, it's so not fun.

Also would be great to refine command interface more, it's real crap atm.
    I completely agree with you. I just like watching what others are doing. Some things are just noteworthy, and some may also prove applicable to us with some tweaking. This is not one of them, just a thing in reference to the usefulness of the grid.

As for the command interface, I maintain that SOE has a secret trolling conspiracy going on within its ranks. The interface just doesn't make sense. I mean, take for example the grid system we are talking about. Why is it there, why at all, if the quadrants are roughly the same size as the hexes? And let's not speak about squad and platoon management, PLs not having access to leader chat, coloured smoke, objectives etc, the rest of the outfit appearing as if they are PUGs, and so on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Or the fact that as great as a grid can be, a simple ping system (as used in every RTS/RTS alike ever) could let soldiers point things out to others in their squad with ease.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    PLs need:
    • a slot of their own, outside of any squads
    • the ability to set smoke/targets and use /leader chat
    • the ability to set, or at least suggest, squad waypoints
    • preferrably draw on the map, so that at least SLs can see

Getting to see your outfit mates in a different colour would be really awesome.

yes pinging and drawing on the map is essential. see perpetuum online if you want to know how to do it right
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Well it works rather well for its intended purpose, which is public or casual platoons. The PL is supposed to be SL too, hence the mind-boggling lack of /leader access when you're only PL. I mean, that's still stupid, but you can see where it comes from.

But since we're daydreaming, I'd like to see a strategic interface akin to the command interface in Natural Selection or Empires mod for PLs, or even a new rank above (the equivalent of our supreme giraffe).

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlywombat View Post
    Never Eat Shredded Wheat - good advice and a handy way of remembering NESW