Page 68 of 276 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 5515
    Fourth Continent.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    I wonder if they will merge more servers when two continents are scheduled for this year. That would be room for 4000 additional players. And Miller is already anything but full. The only time I have to wait in line is midway through Indar alerts. But else I haven't seen a queue in a long time.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

My only worry about Indar getting the lattice system is that it'll become even more popular and Esamir/Amerish will suffer as a result. Perhaps that'll allow us to push for control of them? While the TR/NC cats are away, the VS giraffes come out to DOMINATE!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Surely they are rolling out the new system on all continents? :S

Activated Node
    Nope, one at a time. An odd choice IMO but they are worried about it ruining everything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Surely they are rolling out the new system on all continents? :S
    No. They will first roll out Indar, see how that plays out, and progress accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rei Onryou View Post
    My only worry about Indar getting the lattice system is that it'll become even more popular and Esamir/Amerish will suffer as a result. Perhaps that'll allow us to push for control of them? While the TR/NC cats are away, the VS giraffes come out to DOMINATE!
    Not a snowball's chance in hell. With the population advantage the TR enjoy atm, they have the numbers to fill up to two continents and keep a significant presence on the third.

VS metagame just became both simpler and more complicated. Simpler, because some of the redundant outposts of Indar have been removed, so less regions to spread out to defend.

More complicated, because that means that the TR also have less regions to attack, in order they push us back and we ultimately lose our lock. And also, what is a sufficient garrison for Indar? With less regions and more streamlined connectivity, which is the point when we should be alarmed, and all flock back to Indar?

Network Hub
    I do think it is likely they will just start the lattice with no one having the lock though. The change is radical enough that saying "OK we are starting fresh" is pretty probable.

The simplified connectivity of the new system means that each defending force has fewer territories to worry about, so it doesn't have to spread thin. Under normal conditions, this would mean balanced fights, as each faction would attack against the second and defend against the third, resulting to an equilibrium. Under such a scenario, the determining factor for victory would be squad and platoon level tactics on the field.

Nevertheless, in the case of Miller Indar, what this means is that both the TR and the NC can keep skeleton crews guarding their mutual borders, perhaps attempting probes, but nothing more. The majority of their forces would focus on the VS, pushing hard all across the front. The VS will have fewer options to slip through the front and back cap, in order to force their opponents to divert forces from the main push, thus easing the pressure. RPS did exactly this during the first Siege of Indar, leading to the capture and subsequent defense of Scarred Mesa, which set the model for how the Indar lock is defended against a combined attack by the other two factions.

On a tangent, it is good that we are modest, but on that occasion, perhaps a bit too much. We were among the first to recognise the importance of that rock. EsotericReverie and Cortosis did an excellent job that evening. IIRC it was RPS and DWG squads that made the push to capture it, as we saw the opportunity. We should have promoted ourselves a bit more, as that maneuver has influenced the metagame across multiple servers.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 16-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Does anyone have a link to the Google doc with faction player numbers (hopefully it's been kept up to date)? I hadn't realised TR population was that large! No wonder our attempts on Esamir have been futile...

*Edit*
    Care to describe how the "Scarred Mesa combined defence" model works?
    Last edited by Rei Onryou; 16-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Its really quite simple you take scarred Mesa and then you stick your entire pop in there its impossible for the enemy to cap as they get burstered/ av turreted/ lancered before they can even get near it.

Does anyone have a link to the Google doc with faction player numbers (hopefully it's been kept up to date)? I hadn't realised TR population was that large! No wonder our attempts on Esamir have been futile...

*Edit*
    Really simple actually. Everyone goes to Scarred Mesa, and camps the place. There is only one jump pad leading to the place, and it is too high to be bombarded by MBTs. So the other option the attackers have are massive gal drops and aerial bombardment. Massive in the truest meaning of the word. 500 defenders, most AA MAXes, Heavies and Engies with AV turrets, against 1000-1200 attackers using everything: huge MAX Crashes, tens of suicide Galaxies, whole factions taking turns in doing successive gal drops, swarms of ESFs and Liberators raining fire down at the airpads, as they in turn get obliterated by a hundred AA MAXes, dozens of Sunderers driving in, in the hope that one or two may survive the barrage of AV fire raining down from the airpads long enough to deploy.

It is a desperate defense, one attempted when there is no hope in holding to any other territory, as 1000 players can overwhelm most of the others given enough time. The point is to break their momentum, and as the attackers become more demoralised, to find a chance and start capping territory back.

It is epic, and it brings the server to its knees.

Last night, the graveyard shift, the TR and the NC again tried to break the lock. McKnight was SL, and we took Scarred Mesa just in case. We let a spawn beacon there, and had to go back three more times to resecure it, along with a couple of TVA squads.

Point being, if the lock is under threat, they will try to keep Scarred Mesa from us, and we must make sure that we have it. If not, at least a Bio Lab.

Also, Vanu Archives may appear similar, but it is not high enough, so MBTs can saturate it with fire, and noone can stand on that rock. Also, it has four points of entry: three jump pads and a teleporter.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 16-05-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Those Scarred Mesa fights sound truly epic. Gotta get me a Lancer!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Scarred mesa is being updated with the patch innit? More cover for the bouncepad and hopefully more bouncepads.

Network Hub

*Edit*
    The best source is

http://sirisian.com/planetside2/popu...factions=false

Wow, didn't realise the TR were that populated! I love that you can see when the last CtA happened as the VS line is the largest (pretty much the only time).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wow, didn't realise the TR were that populated! I love that you can see when the last CtA happened as the VS line is the largest (pretty much the only time).
    Wow, yeah, you can really see the Cta. I wonder what that huge pop spike around 1pm is? Possibly everyone logging in at lunch time to make sure their game was up to date or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Wow, yeah, you can really see the Cta. I wonder what that huge pop spike around 1pm is? Possibly everyone logging in at lunch time to make sure their game was up to date or something?
    getting their passive certs. thats what I do at 8 in the morning.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't think so, it's like the highest pop for the entire week. Was there a new patch on the last CtA day or something? Could be everyone downloading it and logging in immediately after the downtime to have a look.

Might just be an error, like 7am on 3rd of May clearly is.