Page 70 of 295 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 5885
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    but if you're doing it at 3am in the morning and using alts to repair broken terminals to let your own guys hack them again I think you might be taking the game a bit too seriously.
    Never was a truer word spoken. And on a Sunday night - clearly there are a lot of people for whom PS2 IS life. I hope this 'victory' brings them some solace.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    We actually should do more of the "lets just piss off the TR" kind of stuff
    I second that. I'd love to see some inter-outfit TRolling.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

we care about locks now?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    we care about locks now?
    But... but.... the cost on grenades...

this game has no goals. all goals are temporary.

when they start adding outfit bases and multiple continent spanning campaigns, then Ill be impressed.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    we care about locks now?
    this game has no goals. all goals are temporary.

when they start adding outfit bases and multiple continent spanning campaigns, then Ill be impressed.
    It was a metagame goal, set by emergent gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    It was a metagame goal, set by emergent gameplay.
    really not. its whats been lacking since the beginning. the events are a sortof competition, but they dont hold any real value.

but my point is: every bout of gaming is self contained. fuck progress before or after: you arrive on the field, hook up with kindred souls, talk shit and have a blast. more or less organised.

anything else is in your mind.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 20-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Jesus_Phish's goals in Planetside 2

-Have fun playing
    -Do cool stuff with people in groups
    -Be able to regale my friends with cool stories of things like defending a base against platoons with a single squad while waiting for backup, not "we capped Indarwith nobody around"

So far I've been doin pretty good on my list!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

really not. its whats been lacking since the beginning. the events are a sortof competition, but they dont hold any real value.
    I agree that ingame long term goals are lacking. But through emergent gameplay and a developing server metagame, the Indar Lock became one of these long term goals. The fact that we refer to it as "The Lock" shows that it gained a certain significance for a great portion of Miller's playerbase.

And for the most part I believe that it contributed to the sense of epic that this game aspires to. It provided a sense of continuity, chaining together what would otherwise be a series of "capture the flag" matches, providing context for what sometimes felt as a grand campaign. It provided the excuse for some epic huge battles. And eventually it may also have become a chore

But that does not mean that it is or should be among the goals of every player. Not everyone is interested and participates in the metagame.
    Last edited by MrEclectic; 20-05-2013 at 03:10 PM.

anything else is in your mind.
    Well, this pretty much sums up "emergent gameplay and developing metagame", only in a kind of dismissive manner...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, a lot of people get off on the sense of competition, so I wouldn't want to downplay the importance of the lock. Friendly rivalries and all that. Emergent stuff is often the most interesting part of playing multiplayer games, so I can see the appeal of being super serious about grabbing the lock.

Fortunately our outfit seems to mostly be made up of people who don't give a fig (including myself).

Network Hub
    We held it for a very long time, and [RPS] a big part of that. Was it important? No, but its Planetside, nothing about it is important. However it was interesting, and lead to some good fights and added a sense of excitement via last minute saves.

I still think its likely the lock will be reset when the lattice arrives, is that still this week?

The lock would've probably been lost when the lattice came anyway. ARC Bio will be gone, right?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    The lock would've probably been lost when the lattice came anyway. ARC Bio will be gone, right?
    Oh hadn't noticed that. If that's the case the the people holding ARC Bio when the server goes down for update will be holding it FOREVER.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah, i'd favour a removal of the lock before lattice hits live.

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    Lock, territory, connectivity, and alert XP are all nigh-on meaningless. Every time a SL takes us over to ghost cap a base for reasons other than provocation, I want to strangle them. The only thing that matters is keeping your squad entertained.

(BR does kinda matter though. Score/hour increases almost linearly with BR)
    Meaningless to you perhaps. Not having the money for a membership, and being not particularly good at the game means I'll be scraping together any extra certs I can get my hands on.

Activated Node
    Not sure where to post this, so here it as good as place as any...

Is there a reason we pull only 1 gal per squad? I expect we all have masses of air resources most of the time (since we don't usually go in for air) and having 2 gals per squad would double the hitpoints, firepower and shock/awe factor of a gal drop.

With Artorious's training session on Wednesday we may even have enough pilots confident enough to do it.

Any drawbacks people can see?

I see two possible (good) outcomes of this (I'm ignoring the list of bad there probably is).

a) Now that the lock is lost, VS as a whole will be more willing to deploy troops to other continents. We're free of The Lock!
    b) With the Lattice system, hopefully our limited numbers can be better utilised in bottlenecks, rather than being overwhelmed on all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    Is there a reason we pull only 1 gal per squad? I expect we all have masses of air resources most of the time (since we don't usually go in for air) and having 2 gals per squad would double the hitpoints, firepower and shock/awe factor of a gal drop.

With Artorious's training session on Wednesday we may even have enough pilots confident enough to do it.

Any drawbacks people can see?
    The only thing I can think of is simply that 1 gal lifts the entire squad... I guess it's either have one 12/12 gal dropping on somewhere, or two 6/12 gals... Plus I suppose two gals means two pilots staying up, leaving less boots on the ground?

Rizlar.

I will ban you if you start using replacement swears.

atleast, in my mind.

also eclectic, it being in your mind isnt dismissive. its spot on.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 20-05-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: REFINEMENT
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications