Page 76 of 287 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 5737
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/407830628

From 1:18:00 onwards

Some of the most exciting stuff I've seen re: base design for some time.

Summary: MUCH more cover around bases. No more "sprints of faith" between buildings.

Shields over entire bases to completely seperate infantry fights over bases and vehicle based fights between bases. My assumption is that the lattice system will force "front lines" in the space between bases that we never used to have. We're starting to see this in Indar already.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

also, as Ive phrased on saturday: if you are capping something, and you want to immediately make it secure from recap, just post an infiltrator at the next base 30s ahead of time. same goes for defence.

as soon as there is a timer going at one of the lattice posts, whatever is connected is secure, no matter how many forces are there.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    as soon as there is a timer going at one of the lattice posts, whatever is connected is secure, no matter how many forces are there.
    Is there a reason, in gameplay/strategy terms, they would have set it up like this? Is it just to concentrate the fight at one place at a time?

I think its more to prevent backcapping and so on. ie. ghost capping becomes impossible.

though I have to add, all to most of the former satellites have been converted to their own lattice points, meaning that for amp stations and tech plants there are 2-3 points in. so in order to secure a biolab or similar after capping it, youd have t ohave people standing on the objectives at all three.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

So this dome shield thing... doesn't that just mean that the Mozzies will hover above the shield impervious to flak, then dip below - rocket pod - dip above again. Not so much an air defence as a giant spawn shield for mozzies...

Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    So this dome shield thing... doesn't that just mean that the Mozzies will hover above the shield impervious to flak, then dip below - rocket pod - dip above again. Not so much an air defence as a giant spawn shield for mozzies...
    I guess you would need AA outside the shield to protect tanks and such around there, they ought to be able to do something about it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yep it would grible but that low and slow, use a dumbfire rocket and insta-gib them, also air to air will work better since the base defenders cannot clear the entire airspace with ease.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I think it will stop any but the most skilful pilots from having to big an impact on the ground battles in and around facilities, leaving air battles free to rage above. Possibly. Libs will be much to easy targets, too slow to easily get away with peek-a-boo tactics, most likely. The best AA is going to be ESF after this change, is my bet. Mossies can drop down beneath the shields for strafing runs, sure, but if there are Scythes in the air above the dome, they won't get much of a chance. And with all the new cover down below, what difference are a couple of rocket-podders going to make?

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    Is there a reason, in gameplay/strategy terms, they would have set it up like this? Is it just to concentrate the fight at one place at a time?
    I think another one is to avoid race conditions: if we have a cap going on the tech plant, what happens if the TR take the only connection we have away from us? Also, we'd need to split up our forces, and the big point would be to focus fights. Not sure if that last is a good thing or not though. Seems like it'd be interesting to have to also protect the connecting territory. Would require a bit more strategy, but might also benefit the largest faction a bit too much, I don't know.

also, it focuses the fighting on mostly 3 different hotspots at a time. dont know if thats good either.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

From the perpective of some who's not an outfit member the lattice could be frustrating. I have a TR character on Woodman and I watched an NC armour column just sweep up the Mao Tech Plant > NS Refinery lane, right up to the TR warpgate, almost unopposed. Whilst that may reflect there having been no major TR outfits on, NC over-population (40% or so), the bizarre fact that most of those bases don't have AV turrets and most of those spawn rooms being ridiculously tank-campable - it was an exercise in frustration. A bad day, perhaps?

The base changes along with the lattice system should be interesting - similar to others here, I'm envisioning huge intra-base tank and air battles coupled with mass infantry assaults in the bases. It would certainly be nice to be spawn-camped solely by infantry, instead of by tanks just rolling up to the spawn room whilst Liberators shell it, seeing as infantry are squishier.

Network Hub
    It takes SoE a while to get around to some things, sure, but I'm so encouraged by how much they actually respond to the community. I can't remember seeing anything like this outside of an Alpha release. Sure they regularly screw up the weapons but it all gets nerfed eventually. Overall I'd rate my experience with SoE Extremely Positive.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Community involvement is definitely a good thing; the one problem is (basically) two people watch something, and the first person loves it and then says 'that was awesome ... I shall go about my day" and the other person hates it and then says "that sucks I shall write a bazilllion forum posts expressing my discontent with my limited vocabulary!".

Vocal minorities are unfortunately the norm when it comes to online discussions.

I'm hearing lots of praise for the lattice and only a few dissenters who seem to be annoyed that they can't really lone wolf bases any more.

Yeah, an A to SOE for Community Involvement , that's for sure, and it is most encouraging! Planetside 2, already being a pretty fantastic game (scope and capabilities-wise) stands a chance to become extremely good if they manage to keep the community engaged and address the issues people are having. I just hope they get enough income from memberships and transactions to afford to keep it up. The player base ain't exactly LoL's...

As for people who are sad they can't solo-cap bases any longer: screw them. Go play something else if you don't want to play with others. PS2 is about playing with other people, in huge numbers more often than not, if you don't like that, then why play Planetside in the first place?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    With this rate of change, there's almost always something new to try out too. Which is why I broke down yesterday and got a membership.

yeah, and at first when I thought they killed the saron, they made it fucking awesome again. especially for the harasser. (you can park near the objectives in amp stations and blast infantry with it.)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I started playing PS2 with very much the "yay free to play I shall spend no money at all!" attitude ... and have since stumped up a few rounds of station cash and a fairly long membership period. Pesky SOE and their guns I really want to get.

That said, as far as level of enjoyment goes, I am quite happy to have paid that money out. In much the same way I was happy to pay for BF3 Premium when that first came out - one price for all the DLC for a game that I love playing anyway? Sign me up!

For me, paying for stuff in this game is roughly equally about getting the good stuff and simply supporting the developers of this game that, to me, is easily game of the millennium, so far, all things counted. The level of community involvement on behalf of SOE is one of many contributing factors.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    These changes on Esamir really requires shorter cap times though, if not holding 2 of 3 points should not double it. Otherwise it is gonna be like 3 minutes of tank fight where 90% of tanks gets blown up by infantry and then 2 hours of meat-grind into the base with 100% infantry.

Once the enemy is inside the base the defense should be very hard to do, the main goal of a defense should be to keep the enemies outside the gates of a base.

The changes to Esamir will also make pulling tanks from nearby friendly bases and flanking around to kill sunderers much more important because it will be very hard to break out of a base once the enemy is moving inside.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    As for people who are sad they can't solo-cap bases any longer: screw them. Go play something else if you don't want to play with others. PS2 is about playing with other people, in huge numbers more often than not, if you don't like that, then why play Planetside in the first place?
    I can still see lone infiltrators being effective, just in very limited circumstances - causing havoc in bases just behind the frontline by hacking turrets, shooting people at vehicle terminals and so on. But yeah, farming tech plants nowhere near the frontlines for certs, as I understand some infiltrators did, was a bit ridiculous.

Was thinking the same thing about community engagement when watching that video. Got to give SOE huge amounts of credit for that.