Page 81 of 276 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 5515
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    I always feel that there should be twice as many Engis as MAXes, at least for a proper biolab style MAXcrash against superior numbers. Each MAX will be standing in a doorway taking constant damage, they absolutely require multiple engineers to keep them up the entire time. So I would say 3 MAXes, 6 engineers and 3 medics, more or less. Maybe you could get away with another MAX and one less medic? But two medics seems a bit light. In an ideal world three or more engis per MAX would be better, so the repairing does not stop, but you mentioned squad size.
    Problem is no amount of engineers can keep a max a live from decimators/fractures/c4 they will get instakilled. You are much better of with the firepower offered by having 6 maxes and 3 engineers really. Especially if said maxes are going to use ZoE.

But it all depends on the fight, if it is like the biolab yesterday just forget it. No point whatsoever to waste peoples time until SOE decides to fix some sort of attrition/siege/starvation mechanic. But if it is a smaller fight 3 maxes with 6 engineers could be viable but in platoons(plural) sized fight more maxes are better than more engineers because the maxes will die faster than the engineers can repair them making having backup maxes that can dodge in and out of the fight much better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, a squad relying on 3 MAXes for firepower, sounds like a really underpowered squad if you ask me, and begging to just be rushed by standard infantry.

Network Hub
    While I don't want to be "that guy". This is the state of the game thread, not state of [RPS].

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    We had a run with 6 MAXes, 2 engineers and 1 medic the other day. We actually managed to push the Vanu out of Saerro all but as a single squad. The increased firepower more than makes up for the decreased repair rate, because it's quicker to reduce the amount of damage coming in, and more likely to stop instagib moves.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    With MAX crashes the tricky bit is balancing firepower (MOAR MAXES!) against survivability (more engineers and medics). 3 MAXes is far too little for an effective crash, I think. I'd prefer to have 5-6 MAXes in a MAX crash squad. It actually worked fairly well with 5 or 6 MAXes at a time in CMaster's MAX squad, with 2 medics, 3 engineers and one infiltrator. Those 3 engies need to have maxed out repair tools, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Fair enough Surly. I did realise that ZOE might have changed the way MAXes are most effective, but the strength of a MAX crash definitely comes from having a lot of support behind each MAX. There is no point in having 6 MAXes if they just die due to not being repaired. I stand by the requirement for at least 2 engis per MAX.

Edit: hmm... peoples experiences seem to say otherwise. The situations I am thinking of are when there are huge enemy numbers and the MAXes are likely to be taking constant damage.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 30-05-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Hehe, Surly has a point. We should have a state of the outfit thread!

That just sounds like a recipe for lots of vulnerable engies getting killed very quickly to me, Rizlar.

I'd imagine you'd be better off with more MAXes, and having them fall back to be repaired before they're too seriously damaged, whilst other MAXes etc push up to the front, on a sort of rotation. Medics take up the back positions (unless they need to come forward to res), watching the rear and the flanks. MAXes being repaired can also help watch over their engies too when they fall back.

I would probably try 6 MAXes, 3-4 engies , 2-3 medics (if you have highly certed medics + jesus grenades, you might get away with 2?)

EDIT: ha, loads of other folk already said as much. I need to be quicker at replying..
    Last edited by sinomatic; 30-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The problem is, you have one MAX on the front line, getting repaired by the 1 engi per 2 MAXes... who repairs the damaged MAX? Or when a MAX is taking damage and the engi's tool needs to cool down? All the successful MAX crashes I have seen involve lots of engineers keeping the MAXes up while they gun down everything that approaches. The team shouldn't be hit from behind since all approaches should be covered by MAXes.

Basically I am talking about biolab fights, where you need to hold off the enemy in an enclosed space for a prolonged period of time, rather than just clearing out an enemy position/any other situation. In most cases one squad will not be enough anyway, but with the right support each MAX can become almost unstoppable.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 30-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Activated Node
    Auto-repair maxes (they can still be healed by engies you know..). Works well with ZOE. And you usually don't die to small arms fire as a max anyway. It's the burst from C4 or fractures or direct rockets that hurt.
    Feels like a lot of people dismiss it without even trying to incorporate it into their playstyle.
    Funneling through the same door is a bad tactic regardless of how you spec the MAX and squad, focus should really be on mobility and securing another entry (Gal drop or satellite).
    There definatly should be an increase in max units in the outfit when going indoors on offense/defence ovarall though!

Max crashes are almost always used as a last moment thing. Why?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...f-The-Giraffes

is the thread where we can discuss giraffe specific max loadouts and stuff.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...f-The-Giraffes

is the thread where we can discuss giraffe specific max loadouts and stuff.
    You have 2 threads for that allready, do think.

Anyways, Youngbloods offer how to remake Air and Ground relationship:

As infantry guy mostly, I do not actually disagree with his ideas, they're nice.

This also reminds me of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12YgJrsDWN8
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    You have 2 threads for that allready, do think.
    not really. not for discussing tactics and team composition specific for Giraffes.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Bankrotas yeah those burster/skyguard changes have been suggested many many times and really need to happen.

Airbursting burster shots are actually a really good idea, double mag size, increase rate of fire increase cof and airburst the shots at like 300-400m. Suddenly the bursters can create a wall of explosions that block vision and if the enemies get closer they are in for a lot of hurt but they cannot just "snipe" liberators out of the sky from 500+ meters away.

Network Hub
    I stumbled upon this performance tweak guide on 4chan today: http://pastebin.com/FrkKLsr8

Just don't simply copy/paste the lines to your useroptions.ini, instead substitute the corresponding values. I quickly tested my performance on a 48+ both sides battle on amerish just now (an alert was on), so I had lots of terrain, vegetation, players and effects going on, and my framerate effectively doubled. Try it out for yourself and follow the instructions for further optimization.

Also always remember to delete your useroptions.ini and redownload it after each patch, that seems to be the recommended m.o.

^ The performance guide summary is basically this: lower shadows and flora detail as far as possible to reduce CPU load.

Will watch the video Bankrotas linked to a little later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    It bumped me up 25fps but through understanding what it was doing rather than copypasta
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

good video bank. I'm very much a non air player but i agree with pretty much all of what he's saying.

on bursters may be a much greater power drop off. Currently a fighter can charge a burster max and get pretty close without dying.

Conversely like the guy is saying you can shoot down a fighter a long way off with just long range suppression and a bit of luck.

It should be better at close range and poorer at long

Also i definitely agree with the skyguard being useful.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The lock is gone!! Apparently it was neutralised at around 5 am today, and that's ok with me. that biolab last night was a nightmare.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    The lock is gone!! Apparently it was neutralised at around 5 am today, and that's ok with me. that biolab last night was a nightmare.
    Live by the clock, die by the clock.