Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    GiantBomb probably is where you'll get the most level opinions on a game overall these days.
    Level and shallow, like a puddle.

Regardless I like diverse and "wrong" opinions, that's why I like Quarter to Three, Tom Chick might often be confused but at least passionately so.

Tbh, I check metacritic more often than I ought to. But less for the totals, more for the links.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

John seems to go out of his way to shit on anything EA with relish at any given opprtunity).
    A reviewer taking apart a publisher who consistently releases crap and is proud of it? How awful of him! Ban his sick filth!
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Please, you get a balance of opinions from the cast and they're candid in terms of their knowledge on a game. They're honest about how much time they've put into a game and they assess a game on what it is rather than what it's not. They sure as shit don't profess to be maestros at this, that or whatever game they happen to be playing/reviewing this week unlike some 'game journalists' do with disturbing regularity, and nor do they get caught up worrying about 'issues'.

Regardless I like diverse and "wrong" opinions, that's why I like Quarter to Three, Tom Chick might often be confused but at least passionately so.
    What's the point of passion if it's misplaced? I've had some interactions with the man before and he's profoundly flawed to the point of caricature. When put to test on his beliefs over the ME3 ending for instance he wasn't able to qualify them by any measure and fell down the same rabbit hole of dogmatic repetition and denial as an other forum loser I've encountered. Sure the man can write, but if he's incapable of any degree of honest re-evaluation and reappraisal what good is he? Championing him like some bold adventurer who people should listen to is misguided tbh. I like an entertaining review, but ultimately I like one that's informative as to buying value. Tom Chick can be the former, but he's certainly not the latter.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Please, you get a balance of opinions from the cast and they're candid in terms of their knowledge on a game. They're honest about how much time they've put into a game and they assess a game on what it is rather than what it's not. They sure as shit don't profess to be maestros at this, that or whatever game they happen to be playing/reviewing this week unlike some 'game journalists' do with disturbing regularity, and nor do they get caught up worrying about 'issues'.

What's the point of passion if it's misplaced? I've had some interactions with the man before and he's profoundly flawed to the point of caricature. When put to test on his beliefs over the ME3 ending for instance he wasn't able to qualify them by any measure and fell down the same rabbit hole of dogmatic repetition and denial as an other forum loser I've encountered. Sure the man can write, but if he's incapable of any degree of honest re-evaluation and reappraisal what good is he? Championing him like some bold adventurer who people should listen to is misguided tbh. I like an entertaining review, but ultimately I like one that's informative as to buying value. Tom Chick can be the former, but he's certainly not the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    A reviewer taking apart a publisher who consistently releases crap and is proud of it? How awful of him! Ban his sick filth!
    I just file it under 'take with a large pinch of salt'. The last medal of honor game was pretty mediocre by all accounts, but that 'review' he carried out was just bashing for the sake of bashing.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I too will predict that a bunch of the KS games that are meant to be out this year will fall into next year.

Sony and MS will both announce their new hardware.

Rockstar will release GTA5 on pc six months after the console release. It will be buggy and broken and the community will fix it.

Blizzard will announce the release of their next expansion for WoW and also the expansion for Diablo 3. Both will then release without features promise.

The debate on booth babes and "gamer girls" will rage on with neither side being as dignified as they think.

And finally a personal prediction - once the PS4 comes out I will buy a PS3 and a bunch of those lovely looking Sony exclusives.

Bioware will try and turn Dragon Age 3 into Skyrim and end up making an even worse game than Dragon Age 2?

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Bioware will try and turn Dragon Age 3 into Skyrim and end up making an even worse game than Dragon Age 2?
    Depends really how big the levels are you can make in the Frostbyte 2 engine. I'm not aware that it can do open world on the scale of Skyrim. Certainly larger than what you can achieve with Unreal for sure (based on BF3 levels) though ultimately everything still comes down to asset management and what can be loaded into RAM.

Probable Replicant

@Kadayi okay okay! I heard you the first time!

To be fair, I tend to use forums more than reviews for buying advice, I guess I do read QT3 mainly for entertainment. I mean look at spec ops:the triangle, well produced, about £1.50 and critically acclaimed with an apparent narrative which is interesting.

But adjoin that to "chest high wall shooter" and I can't even be bothered. So yeah, forums I guess.

I just file it under 'take with a large pinch of salt'. The last medal of honor game was pretty mediocre by all accounts, but that 'review' he carried out was just bashing for the sake of bashing.
    A game whose only claim to fame is letting you unlock different methods of breaching and clearing rooms shouldn't be considered even mediocre. In fact it doesn't even let you play it, less so than the modern Call of Dutys. It literally locks you into position and puts a button/key prompt on the screen you have to press to advance.

It's like trying to sell people an interactive DVD menu by calling it a game.

A game whose only claim to fame is letting you unlock different methods of breaching and clearing rooms shouldn't be considered even mediocre. In fact it doesn't even let you play it, less so than the modern Call of Dutys. It literally locks you into position and puts a button/key prompt on the screen you have to press to advance.

It's like trying to sell people an interactive DVD menu by calling it a game.
    And yet Dear Esther made the RPS Advent list.....

Probable Replicant

Dear Esther is like.. one of kind? It is still beautiful to look at.

Retail will no longer have power on game release date (No Ocean)

...Because it was an indie work which they explained was on that list because it was unique and didn't necessarily make a great game.

There's a reason RPS doesn't have scores. You're supposed to read.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    ...Because it was an indie work which they explained was on that list because it was unique and didn't necessarily make a great game.
    Something can be unique and not particularly good at the same time. I don't know why "unique" should be a pass to the top 24 or whatever. But at the same time it's their list and they thought it was good, so whatever. I disagree with it but that's as far as it should go.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Something can be unique and not particularly good at the same time. I don't know why "unique" should be a pass to the top 24 or whatever. But at the same time it's their list and they thought it was good, so whatever. I disagree with it but that's as far as it should go.
    Hence the bit after "unique" that went something like, "didn't necessarily make a great game."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Hence the bit after "unique" that went something like, "didn't necessarily make a great game."
    But that's my point - something being unique on its own IMO isn't worth giving accolades to if it doesn't translate to a good product... and we're about to cross into that dangerous "what is a game" territory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Warfighter's lack of interactivity contradicts what the game is trying to achieve and fights the player at the most basic level. John is told to keep running forward through the shooting gallery. When the road is clear, he continues to run forward and is hit with a "Out of the Game Zone!" message then magically blown up. That's unacceptable. There are numerous examples of this bullshittery in the review.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I predict that the RPS GotY will be an action game.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    But that's my point - something being unique on its own IMO isn't worth giving accolades to if it doesn't translate to a good product... and we're about to cross into that dangerous "what is a game" territory.
    Careful there Soldant, you're talking way too much sense there for Shooop.

Warfighter's lack of interactivity contradicts what the game is trying to achieve and fights the player at the most basic level. John is told to keep running forward through the shooting gallery. When the road is clear, he continues to run forward and is hit with a "Out of the Game Zone!" message then magically blown up. That's unacceptable. There are numerous examples of this bullshittery in the review.
    There's also a lot of him pretending he has no idea how a shooter works or what one is as well: -

It then goes to a first person view, your gun held out, a targeting reticule placed over the back of his head, and you’re told to click to fire. You’re technically in control, but while you can move the mouse a fraction, it’s not possible to move the target away from his head. You cannot move from the spot you’re stood on. You can do literally nothing other than shoot this stranger, about whom you know nothing, in the back of his head. That’s your only possible interaction, in the opening second of the game. And I don’t want to click.
    What's next a review of FIFA where it's a case of 'but I don't want to try and score' or a review of a Forza where 'but I don't want to follow the route'? That's not a review, that's posturing against a genre.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 06-01-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've just started assuming that John Walker is the comedy interlude between serious posts. The world makes more sense this way.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I've just started assuming that John Walker is the comedy interlude between serious posts.
    If this is true I can call off my coup.
    @Kadayi Sensitivity to murder-violence is a good thing, surely differentiation between it and pursuits like racing and sport should be normal.

But while they are virtual people, and indeed serve no function to die (or cause your pretend persons death) its not unreasonable to dislike doing it.

That said, I dislike track racers and sports games where scoring is your only concern(bring on the career ending fouling ala bloodbowl).