Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Well thats the thing you see, which is why I think Far Cry 3 is such a masterpiece in disguise. I did pick up on the parody that the writer put in there, and I did see all of those things. Its basically a parody of AAA games, in the guise of an AAA game with all the trimmings and marketing.
    I only saw a hint of it in the CIA agent being fanatical enough to be a member of Team America: World Police. Other than that it just completely fell flat.

A parody only works when everyone knows it's a parody. But nothing else suggested the game wasn't actually as in love with the same guns, blood, profanity, and sex as the games its supposedly parodying.

This on the other hand is more like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36SSx0inBE
    Virtual Pilot 3D™ NEVER NOT SCAM!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Well thats the thing you see, which is why I think Far Cry 3 is such a masterpiece in disguise. I did pick up on the parody that the writer put in there
    So do you have any proof that the game is a parody or are you looking too deeply into simple things again?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    I only saw a hint of it in the CIA agent being fanatical enough to be a member of Team America: World Police. Other than that it just completely fell flat.

A parody only works when everyone knows it's a parody. But nothing else suggested the game wasn't actually as in love with the same guns, blood, profanity, and sex as the games its supposedly parodying.

This on the other hand is more like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36SSx0inBE
    I thought it was pretty parodical. white americans dropping into the jungle, meeting the most gangsta pirate ever, some black guy saying he must be the chosen one, all the others calling him snow white, then using him to kill their enemies, then the drugged up doctor, the weird australian, the crazy german (who didnt really speak german, sadly).

And most of all, the "OMG IM SO SAD AND I DISLIKE KILLING SO I KILL HAHA THIS IS FUN" main character.

I thought all of that was pretty obvious. Now, they could have had some better comedic timing, more over the top stuff ala Saints Row, but thats just my taste, I reckon. All in all, a good AAA critisizing itself.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Most of those things were more the products of sheer incompetence from the developers than active parody.

The protagonist never even does start going, "Hey killing people is fun" except for one part (the scripted turret section on the jeep). Hell, even his reaction to killing someone for the first time is over so quickly it's irrelevant. The rest of the time he's not showing the least bit of disgust or joy in killing other people.

The chosen one thing is practically a copy/paste of James "My ego is the size of a country now" Cameron's Avatar. It's never, ever hinted at that the natives could do just fine on their own.

The only way you get any kind of reaction from doing something is when skinning animals and because he keeps moaning "Ewwwww"
    Every.
    Single.
    Time.
    Which means the developers simply forgot to shut it off after Jason's stabbed his 30th person in the neck while looking right into their eyes.

If this is what passes for parody these days than comedy in general is doomed.

Banned
    Admittely(and I don't want to defend QuantaCat's crazy theories but) when J-dog kills his first enemy he just witnessed death of his brother, is hurt and chased by entire fucking village of crazied baddies. That is, he is jammed full of adrenaline, scared shitless, and in a hurry.

Not really a state which lends itself to reflection and "taking a swim in the lake >You<".

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Admittely(and I don't want to defend QuantaCat's crazy theories but) when J-dog kills his first enemy he just witnessed death of his brother, is hurt and chased by entire fucking village of crazied baddies. That is, he is jammed full of adrenaline, scared shitless, and in a hurry.

Not really a state which lends itself to reflection and taking a swim in the lake >You<.
    But he then doesn't think a single thing about doing it afterwards and when he does it again. And again. And again. It's never even even suggested he's never done anything like this before except at that one single moment. Literally right after that he's able to handle guns like a professional who's done it hundreds of times and kill people with a single stab (something that's nearly impossible by the way - you have to be insanely lucky to hit an organ vital enough to kill someone that fast with just one stab).

The game's point was supposed to be how unbelievable it would be for someone like Jason to do that right? So why doesn't it ever stop and say, "Hey this is kind of outlandish isn't it?" There's zero context to consider it a joke/satire/ruse. No one ever comments on how he's suddenly able to do these things as would be required if they were making a commentary on it in some way. It just happens and no one even blinks. His girlfriend yells at him on the jeep once, and that's it. There's never a single moment of introspect, not even so much as a sly wink.
    Last edited by Shooop; 11-01-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Most of those things were more the products of sheer incompetence from the developers than active parody.
    You could always apply "Death of the Author". It doesn't matter if the creators of Far Cry 3 intended it to be a parody. If it works as one, then it is one.

Banned
    But... but... the objective truth :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    You could always apply "Death of the Author". It doesn't matter if the creators of Far Cry 3 intended it to be a parody. If it works as one, then it is one.
    If it works as a Dan Brown esque parody then it is that as well though, that's the problem with relativism.

I'm not sure I undestand your argument. What would the problem be if it was a Dan Brown-esque parody?

I'm not sure I undestand your argument. What would the problem be if it was a Dan Brown-esque parody?
    Because it's not meant to be funny in the least, it's just objectively terrible in all ways - but people pretend it's a parody. It's giving garbage too much credit.

It's giving garbage too much credit.
    I can understand where you're coming from, but this point of view still seems strange to me. Surely if you enjoy a work then it deserves the credit. The quality of art can't be measured by objective criterias, it ultimately derives from the experiences of the individual. Therefore, the author's intent has no bearing on whether or not his book is "garbage". I can't tell you exactly what Shakespeare wanted to say with King Lear, but I can tell you that I liked reading it. If someone is fond of Dan Brown's novels, and I'm sure those kind of people must exist somewhere, then those novels have a certain value for them.

Unless of course you want to argue that art has a moral duty that goes beyond the simple appreciation of an individual, but in that case I don't think video games are a particularly good example.

Surely if you enjoy a work then it deserves the credit.
    Not unless that was the point of the work though. It's like the infamous movie The Room - no one admits to watching it because it's a good movie, they watch it because they laugh at it. No one watches that wretched YouTube music video Friday because they actually enjoy it. They watch it to mock it.

The quality of art can't be measured by objective criterias, it ultimately derives from the experiences of the individual. Therefore, the author's intent has no bearing on whether or not his book is "garbage". I can't tell you exactly what Shakespeare wanted to say with King Lear, but I can tell you that I liked reading it. If someone is fond of Dan Brown's novels, and I'm sure those kind of people must exist somewhere, then those novels have a certain value for them.

Unless of course you want to argue that art has a moral duty that goes beyond the simple appreciation of an individual, but in that case I don't think video games are a particularly good example.
    Art can be crap.

Art is an anagram of Rat.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Banned
    It is also TRA backwards.

I should make an art piece of how the point flew over your head.

Banned
    Since DUST 514 is in open beta now, I can finally make my most important prediction: DUST 514 will be best PC FPS of 2013 and it will be best PC multipliayer FPS since BF2142.

What's that you say? It's a PS3 exclusive? THAT'S THE FUCKING JOKE.

(Also waiting for CCP to release some hard data about performance of pad vs. mouse & keyboard players...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

The chosen one thing is practically a copy/paste of James "My ego is the size of a country now" Cameron's Avatar. It's never, ever hinted at that the natives could do just fine on their own.
    Yeah, the natives are smarter than that. They rape the guy, drug him, brainwash him and send him to do the dangerous job while high-fiving each other, then they (may) force him to kill his friends and in the end (may) kill him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I was a little disheartened by the RPS tech report and the rather damning assessment of the upcoming console hardware: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...eam-boxes-amd/

Albeit obviously devs are going to be able to really optimise the hell out of machines in terms of performance Vs PC machines of a similar calibre, it doesn't really bode well that they're not really getting a high end base to work from, when it comes to longjevity.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I was a little disheartened by the RPS tech report and the rather damning assessment of the upcoming console hardware: -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...eam-boxes-amd/

Albeit obviously devs are going to be able to really optimise the hell out of machines in terms of performance Vs PC machines of a similar calibre, it doesn't really bode well that they're not really getting a high end base to work from, when it comes to longjevity.
    So, a console then.
    That's a surprise for me. I'm guessing this is the first time where a medium PC is better than a brand new console. That will mean that either devs will shift into PC like crazy or they will stagnate. Interesting.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?