Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Fearless 2013 Predictions Thread!

Hopefully, I'm not stepping on the toes of another thread here (I couldn't find one), so here goes. Tell me your bold predictions for 2013 in terms of gaming. Doesn't have to just be PC-related, although if you mention consoles, your post has to include the prerequisite level of disdain. I'll start us off:

My fearless gaming predictions for 2013:

• SteamBox PConsole will release this year.
    • Source Engine 2 and Half-Life 3 will release this year, and it will include HL2: Episode 3 treated as a set of prologue missions.
    • Source Engine 2 will release with a set of simplified modding tools, reminiscent of the Portal 2 modding tool.
    • Microsoft's new Xbox will release before year-end, but Sony's follow-up to the PS3 will miss the holiday season.
    • Nintendo WiiU will have a price drop before the holiday season. Their online functionality will continue to suck.
    • Super Mario Galaxy 3 will be released.
    • Apple will finally get more on the gaming bandwagon by providing branded controllers for a new line of high-end Apple TVs. It will be announced but not released before year-end.
    • THQ will be have moderate success with 2013 releases, but sadly, not enough to survive. (I really hope I'm wrong on this one.)
    • The rights to Kingdoms of Amalur will be bought, and a sequel will be announced.
    • Elder Scrolls Online will launch and no one will care.
    • Despite my protests and commitments to the contrary, I will buy more games than I should in 2013, and I will play more games than I should as well.
    • I will shed no tears at the flurry of insults I receive through the course of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post

• Elder Scrolls Online will launch and no one will care.
    Too many will care sadly.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The new Xbox will be revealed on Facebook.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    ID will start teasing us with some screenis from DOOM4,then finally show us some gameplay footage. And people won't be disappointed because they learned their mistake with third DOOM game.

(I hope so).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The new Xbox will be revealed on Facebook.
    E3:

http://majornelson.com/2013/01/02/countdown-to-e3-2013/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The reveal will happen before. They're not going to share the stage with anyone else. I'm betting on way before E3. Another prediction: while marketing will be planned and approved by the mothership, Microsoft's partners will also run campaigns of their own for this product.
    E3 is going to be the media blowout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Someone will declare that PC gaming isn't dead, despite the fact it was never terminally ill in the first place.

Someone will declare that adventure games aren't dead, despite the fact they had been out of their coma and energetically dancing around in discotheques for the past few months.

Someone will declare that god games aren't dead, whether they come back in a blaze of glory or as out of touch as Rip Van Winkle is anyone's guess.

Someone will declare that space games aren't dead, leading to much scrabbling in lofts for dusty joysticks (oi, I saw you wanting to make your own joke, settle down and stop sniggering at the back).

Someone will hysterically declare Kickstarter is dead on the basis of one failure, someone else will calmly point out that we had this discussion last year and who needs an appendix anyway when the important organs are actually doing rather well.

Someone will remark that gamers seem awfully obsessed with death leading to a seven page comment thread which is depressingly lacking for witty puns.

• Year-long debates on Steam sales no longer being what they used to be, 25 year-olds prefacing their whingeful posts with the words "when I was young..."
    • Scattered bursts of hate about bundles being dead and indie devs who have it all so easy
    • more debates about the meaning of indie, and how Humble Bundle is becoming the new EA
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Activision make the Activision box, becomes the exclusive platform for all Activision games. Every other platform declared dead by most of the non-gaming press.
    EA will try to launch a competing platform, both companies throw too much money into the systems, both fail by 2014, major market crash.

I love thinking positive when it comes to the future.

More genre definitions will be discussed on the RPS forums

Network Hub
    • EA will not publish a single new IP or a single game with a unique feature/mechanic
    • Bioware make a Minecraft clone

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    • Year-long debates on Steam sales no longer being what they used to be, 25 year-olds prefacing their whingeful posts with the words "when I was young..."
    I'm sure I started using that phrase before I turned 25. Usually in relation to chart dance music being better in the 90s or cartoons having a better animation style than they do now!

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    ID will start teasing us with some screenis from DOOM4,then finally show us some gameplay footage. And people won't be disappointed because they learned their mistake with third DOOM game.

(I hope so).
    The people or iD?
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The PC will dominate, winning over new converts with it's free market, Indi scene, mods, and countless other advantages. By the end of the year the focus will have shifted back to the consoles again. Everyone will then proceed to buy them because they'd just look so pretty next to their 3D TVs, I-Pads, and Blu-rays, and god forbid if they don't have the latest piece of technology right away, GOD FORBID!

Every major gaming IP will have a movie announced. Most won't see the light of day.

Every major movie of the year will have a licensed game announced. Most will unfortunately see the light of day.

Maybe, just maybe, a good book will be turned into a game. Not a game based on a film based on a book. It will most likely fail financially (although Witcher says "Hi!").

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I'm sure I started using that phrase before I turned 25. Usually in relation to chart dance music being better in the 90s or cartoons having a better animation style than they do now!
    I started using that phrase when I was about 16, usually combined with some variety of "those darn kids..."

Certain people will make disparaging remarks on the forum about all PC games released.

Someone will make one of your beloved but discontinued franchises into a FPS.

Something you have waited for the release of will end up being a sloppy console conversion.

Some big games company will do/say something that will make them no.1 enemy for a while.

Release dates will be delayed.

Okay, no real predictions there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    More genre definitions will be discussed on the RPS forums
    Madness! Instead vague allusions to disenfranchisement with the rps writers social policies(religion, sexism, nationalism etc.) will populate 20-28% of threads.
    New(less than 3 month old)games will be crash discounted and waves of posts about the game being disappointing will show up.
    Every first person shooter that turned a profit in the last 12 months will get a sequel, dlc and pay for experience point options.

The first Word Proccessing application with "Unlocks" will come out and herald a golden age of bro-blogging.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The first Word Proccessing application with "Unlocks" will come out
    added to wishlist.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    The new XBOX will run on a version of Windows 8 with it's Metro interface that will have all the exclusive XBOX games on it, despite the very brain-dead obviousness that all these games could run on PC Windows 7 and 8 if Microsoft didn't force them to be exclusive to XBOX WHATEVER.

Network Hub
    FMV will make a surprising comeback.