Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post

@Kadayi Sensitivity to murder-violence is a good thing, surely differentiation between it and pursuits like racing and sport should be normal.

But while they are virtual people, and indeed serve no function to die (or cause your pretend persons death) its not unreasonable to dislike doing it.
    Then write an opinion piece about how games should strive to be more than just 'shooting, stabbing or blowing people up' instead of savaging a developer for having the temerity to make a not particularly good game in a genre you apparently despise. Danger close could of made the best action military FPS ever, but I suspect they'd have still received short shift from John, because he simply isn't a fan of that particular style of game. It's dishonest criticism at the end of the day.

Still I'm kind of in agreement with NathanH tbh. I can't take much of what he says seriously these days because there seem to be a host of agendas bubbling in the background that rise up and consume every post with alarming regularity.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 06-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    But that's my point - something being unique on its own IMO isn't worth giving accolades to if it doesn't translate to a good product... and we're about to cross into that dangerous "what is a game" territory.
    We're on the same page then because I didn't really get why it was worth that much attention. Yes it was an interesting experiment, but it was a pretty poor "game".

Kadayi just likes bringing up things to make himself think he's more clever than he really is. Which is not at all clever.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    Kadayi just likes bringing up things to make himself think he's more clever than he really is. Which is not at all clever.
    In all seriousness Shooop isn't about high time you got over your hangups? I treat every post I read here on the basis of what the post says, not who says it, maybe it's about time you started doing the same? Because frankly this knee jerk disagreeing because 'X' said it kind of tired and lame.

What does my sig say?

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me
    Yet here you are dragging it off into another round of 'Let's bitch out Kadayi' for the umpteenth time.

I honestly don't give a shit whether you think I'm smart or not. That's entirely your prerogative. But discussing me is not what this forums for. Move the fuck on already.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 06-01-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Probable Replicant

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Move the fuck on already.
    *Rewind sound*

Careful there Soldant, you're talking way too much sense there for Shooop.
    Try taking your own advice first bumpkins.

Try taking your own advice first bumpkins.
    Soldant had already responded to the post I was going to answer. Pointing out that you taking issue with me has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with your usual axe grinding whenever I post seemed necessary so that he not waste any more of his time on you.

So yeah, move the fuck on little man.

How is it that criticizing an FPS for having the temerity for being linear, yet at the same time celebrating 'games' which are largely lacking in any form of interaction throughout as breakthroughs doesn't strike you as faintly contradictory behaviour and perhaps even represents a double standard at play?

I'm not against Dear Esther or 30 flights. I own both. I'm ambivalent about whether they really represent a model for future success though given the lack of feedback loop in each, meaning the narrative puzzle that makes up the experience can equally be derived from simply youtubing walkthroughs of either. To my mind interactive media has to be more than about simply pressing the E key to advance the action.

Now sure one can get into pedantry about linear experiences, and how all games are constrained and therefore linear, but ultimately the vast bulk of the time games operate on the basis of giving you the player some degree of options as to how you choose to arrive at the end and own that experience to some degree. Whether that's through geographical approach, choice of tools, or both. Neither 30 flights or Dear Esther really do in that regard.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 06-01-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Probable Replicant

Do you work at maintaining such a level of cognitive dissonance that you're unaware what an insanely massive hypocrite you are?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Then write an opinion piece about how games should strive to be more than just 'shooting, stabbing or blowing people up' instead of savaging a developer for having the temerity to make a not particularly good game in a genre you apparently despise.
    But shooters have evolved these past years to the point where we need a reason to kill. (Not saying the reason has to be good mind you). This isn't a cartoon throwback to the old days like Serious Sam, it's a modern-day military shooter using Navy SEAL consultants to presumably add some degree of authenticity.

Basically what I'm getting from John is - if the words 'bad guy' appeared above the victim's head, it would have been more of an explanation than that which was provided.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 06-01-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Do you work at maintaining such a level of cognitive dissonance that you're unaware what an insanely massive hypocrite you are?
    I was rather hoping you might engage with the latter half of my post and address the points raised, but I guess that's clearly a bridge too far you little man.

Probable Replicant

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    But shooters have evolved these past years to the point where we need a reason to kill. (Not saying the reason has to be good mind you). This isn't a cartoon throwback to the old days like Serious Sam, it's a modern-day military shooter using Navy SEAL consultants to presumably add some degree of authenticity.
    Isn't it fair to say that generally people have some inclination as to what they're getting when they buy a game though? It's not a case of jumping in blind and not knowing what to expect to some degree? I mean when the last time you went to the cinema to watch a film and didn't know what it was going to be about? This idea that the game has to justify itself at the off is a nonsense. I mean jez Dark Souls doesn't explain shit beyond the controls really, but no one (least of all me) has a problem with that that do they?
    Last edited by Kadayi; 06-01-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Probable Replicant

I was rather hoping you might engage with the latter half of my post and address the points raised, but I guess that's clearly a bridge too far you little man.
    Sorry, it's impossible for me to take you seriously when all you can do is wage backhanded attacks, pretend you're above them, and then when called on your bullshit act like you never did a thing.

When you're done running away with your ball because you were loosing the game you wanted to play maybe we can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Little man View Post
    When you're done running away with your ball because you were loosing the game you wanted to play maybe we can talk.
    Guess I'll reiterate : -

How is it that criticizing an FPS for having the temerity for being linear, yet at the same time celebrating 'games' which are largely lacking in any form of interaction throughout as breakthroughs doesn't strike you as faintly contradictory behaviour and perhaps even represents a double standard at play?

I'm not against Dear Esther or 30 flights. I own both. I'm ambivalent about whether they really represent a model for future success though given the lack of feedback loop in each, meaning the narrative puzzle that makes up the experience can equally be derived from simply youtubing walkthroughs of either. To my mind interactive media has to be more than about simply pressing the E key to advance the action.

Now sure one can get into pedantry about linear experiences, and how all games are constrained and therefore linear, but ultimately the vast bulk of the time games operate on the basis of giving you the player some degree of options as to how you choose to arrive at the end and own that experience to some degree. Whether that's through geographical approach, choice of tools, or both. Neither 30 flights or Dear Esther really do in that regard.

Skip to little man, engage that mighty intellect of yours. Bring a counterpoint.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 06-01-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Probable Replicant

I see your little quote trick bumpkin. You're still running away with your ball I see, angry that the big kids caught you trying to bend the rules.

I'll answer only when you're done pouting because all that connotative dissonance can't be good for your comprehension.

Isn't it fair to say that generally people have some inclination as to what they're getting when they buy a game though? It's not a case of jumping in blind and not knowing what to expect to some degree? I mean when the last time you went to the cinema to watch a film and didn't know what it was going to be about? This idea that the game has to justify itself at the off is a nonsense. I mean jez Dark Souls doesn't explain shit beyond the controls really, but no one (least of all me) has a problem with that that do they?
    Character motivations for murdering everything in sight don't usually make it into the previews, and Dark Souls is not a modern military shooter. The enemies are actual monsters, you can wield weapons the size of tree trunks, and the lack of explanation as to what in the blue hell is going on adds to the haunting atmosphere of the game. What would be a weakness for one game is an advantage here. It all depends on what a game is going for, and if Warfighter is going for realism, then it should probably explain why we're killing these dudes.

Yeah, I've got nothin
    Raise your game and quit posturing and address the points. Hiding behind a handful of empty isn't fooling anyone. If I'm not as 'clever' as you believe then it shouldn't be that hard to produce some viable counter argument to what I've said surely? I'm happy to continue to grind the organ and watch you dance for everyone some more though.

Probable Replicant

Drake, you do realize he doesn't actually want an answer don't you?

He just brought that up because he thinks it's a way he can make himself look superior to someone he doesn't like. He just wants his e-peen points.

Drake, you do realize he doesn't actually want an answer don't you?
    I don't mind either way, I just like to read my own posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Character motivations for murdering everything in sight don't usually make it into the previews, and Dark Souls is not a modern military shooter. The enemies are actual monsters, you can wield weapons the size of tree trunks, and the lack of explanation as to what in the blue hell is going on adds to the haunting atmosphere of the game. What would be a weakness for one game is an advantage here. It all depends on what a game is going for, and if Warfighter is going for realism, then it should probably explain why we're killing these dudes.
    It doesn't matter what kind of a game it is. Expecting it to explain itself from the off and regarding that as somehow a gross admission is laughable, especially given neither Dear Esther or 30 flights do so either. Most James Bond movies generally start from an abstract perspective. There's never any explanation as to why Bonds doing what he's doing when shit breaks out at the beginning, the explanation comes after the fact.

Also for the record I bear you no ill will Drake. :)
    Last edited by Kadayi; 06-01-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Probable Replicant

Raise your game and quit posturing and address the points. Hiding behind a handful of empty isn't fooling anyone. If I'm not as 'clever' as you believe then it shouldn't be that hard to produce some viable counter argument to what I've said surely? I'm happy to continue to grind the organ and watch you dance for everyone some more though.
    And there's the "Hey I'm in control! I'm the one who's got you! Not you, ME!" post. Right on time.

If you really had a serious question you'd ask it like an adult instead of playing with the quote system. Like I said before bumpkin, if you do have a question for me you'll ask it straightforward. But since you're just trying to pretend you're above it all while indulging in little games I'll just keep calling out your bullshit. K' bumpkin? Good.

If you really had a serious question you'd ask it like an adult instead of playing with the quote system.
    I did earlier on and you completely ignored them little man. So yeah now I'm just letting you run your mouth in front of everyone because ..well in truth it amuses me to see you debase yourself openly tbh. Still if you want to get the thread back on track and actually engage with the subject the points raised are still there (I'm willing if you are). Alternatively you can just walk away and I'll carry on talking with Drake. He at least seems to want a discussion on point. :)

Feel free to derail the thread further mind. I'm sure no ones else is groaning at this point in time.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 07-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Probable Replicant

I did earlier on and you completely ignored it Little man. So yeah now I'm just letting you run your mouth in front of everyone because ..well it amuses me to see you debase yourself openly. Still if you want to get the thread back on track and actually engage with the subject they're still there. Alternatively you can walk away and I'll carry on talking with Drake. He at least seems to want a discussion on point. :)
    And there's the "I'm the bigger man here! ME! MEEEEE!" post again.

I simply brought up your blatant hypocrisy which occurred not 5 posts apart and now you're playing this game. Which only serves to cement my suspicions that you really have nothing to discuss and just want to work on your e-peen.

You ever hear the saying, "The first thing to do when you're in a hole is to stop digging"? Might want to consider it for a moment. Because what I accused you of was using backhanded attacks and childishly pretending you have some moral high ground. And now you're not even trying to be backhanded anymore.

Are you mentally regressing before my eyes?