Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite platformers

I realised today while playing some Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams that one of my fav types of games has come back almost full circle from yesteryears. The platformer!

Which are you favs and why?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Easy one, Spelunky, a rogue like technical platformer which is strategic and unpredictable. It's new every time and I need to concentrate constantly.

Second place goes to Bionic Commando Rearmed, it's a crying shame the sequel never got to pc, the lack of a jump key or air control makes every gap/enemy combination something to think about.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Banned
    Oddysee, Aquaria, Cave Story if I'm feeling particularly gay.

No contest
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Network Hub
    I don't know if this counts but I'm really enjoying Knytt Underground right now - third stage/world is humongous. Secret passages, quests, atmosphere, annoying/funny sidekicks. And you transform into a bouncy ball of all things...

Year before last I had a blast with Treasure Adventure Game. Felt like I was playing on my Sega Master System all over again.
    Last edited by baby snot; 04-01-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Sonic 1 & 2 and Turrican II for both the games themselves and the memories that are linked with them.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

I used to love a game called ELF that I had on the Amiga. It was a sort of platformy/fetch puzzle based game. I know it's very obvious, and also gets a bit of ire around here sometimes, but a do have a lot of fond memories of the Super Mario Bros series. Oh, and Sink or Swim too.

Do modern variants such as Psychonauts count? Fez too, is pretty good.

I love most 2D platformers, but I have a real soft spot for Super Mario world [and super mario bro's wii] and Sonic 2.

I wanna be the guy is okay for sadism and super meat boy is another personal favourite, although I prefer the jumping to the wall slide acrobatics.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

In no particular order:
    Turrican II
    Gods
    Assassin
    Superfrog
    SotN

Castlevania aside, I played those on the amiga, good times.

Chuckie Egg on the BBC Micro. Yes, I'm that old, and yes, it is a nostalgia thing, but it was fluid and fast and taut and from before the days where jumping on monsters heads became mandatory.

I was never a Ninendroid or Segastropod so Mario and Sonic both passed me by, but I remember enjoying the Addams Family game on the Amiga (film tie-in I believe).

More up-to-date, I suppose Braid with it's addition of a puzzle element was the first time I looked at platformers on the PC (take or leave the story/pretension as your taste denotes).
    Last edited by Feldspar; 04-01-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Posted before coffee, grammer better now.

Network Hub
    All the Super Marios etc seem to have passed me by. I've played quite a *ot of free games, though.
    • definitely spelunky
    • knytt and In a deep forest. Nifflas' commercial games Saira and Nightsky, on the other hand, never really clicked with me.

Also, flash games.
    • hamumu's Robot Wants * series. Love the hell out of those.
    • K.O.L.M.!
    • Give up Robot
    • some of Nitrome's output (Tiny Castle, Dirk Valentine, ...)

Does VVVVVV count? It should.

It's Invasion Of the Vorticons but Goodbye, Galaxy! comes real close. Shout outs to Crystal Caves too, I played the shareware episode a ridiculous amount back in the day.

I looooove platformers. :D My favourites from 2012 would be Mark of the Ninja, Waking Mars, Project Black Sun, and Stealth Bastard Deluxe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    In recent years: I-Fluid was a good one. The later levels are far too long, but until then itís gorgeous bite-sized stages reminiscent of micro machines. Some of the fruit looks so incredible I actually get hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by ran93r View Post
    Gods
    Superfrog
    Yes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Spelunky
    Not only you need good dexterity to play it - you need to be careful and plan ahead. I love the randomly generated levels, it's constant exploration. Generally not everything you see can be collected, so you have to choose how to spend your resources and time.

Knytt Stories
    It's a static platformer, but very well done. The character is very agile and fun to play with, enemies and challenges are extremely varied. It has secrets, too. Very good atmosphere.

It doesn't hurt that both games are free.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    On the Amiga:
    Prince of Persia (duh!)
    Superfrog
    P. P. Hammer And His Pneumatic Weapon
    Magic pockets

Mega Drive
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Cool Spot

I think I love Sonic & Knuckles the most because I spent the early years of the megardive's career deep in Amiga land, so didn't really experience Sonic 1&2 the way megardive players did. Sonic & Knuckles was just perfect for me, it's art and sound design was vastly improved over the older games and it was basically a greatest hits album of the first 3 titles.

Haven't seen much of Spelunky, but is it similiar to P. P. Hammer? Here's a video to compare:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpth4WFGB1E
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Not a PC game, but the best platformer I've ever played was, and still is, Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2) for the SNES/GBA.

Wonderful art, music and gameplay. I went back and replayed it a few years ago, and I was gobsmacked at how well it had stood the test of time. Superb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Prince Of Persia 2,can we count Tomb Raider as platformer as well ?

Rayman Origins
    The old Prince of Persia games (I/II)
    Aladdin (the ooold game)
    Super Mario Bros. 3

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been playing a few platformers of recent - they're not normally my thing but...

Rayman Oranges - it's just lovely, lovely, lovely - at least it's not tried to drive me insane yet...

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - not quite a platformer but it has the frustration and guesswork one requires - wrapped in a slightly sterile wrapper, sadly.

Chester - I got this 'free' on Desura but only got around to trying it last week and first impressions were quite good - BUT - the difficulty ramps-up to the point where it's controls and "physics" can't keep-up - and it's checkpointing is outright cuntish in places too...

SMB - someone bought me it, I knew I'd not like it and yet I've put 2-3 hours into it anyway!! I'm only in Ch2, I won't be bothering with much more because I know I'll just get annoyed but you cannot knock it's controls or checkpointing (we're talking to you, again, Chester) - it's just more effort than I'm willing to expend tho - it's just too demanding of perfection to be any fun, really - I want more than "do this perfectly" in a game.

A few of the games people have mentioned here and in the other threads don't interest me much tho. The Giana Sisters demo crashed more than played but I wasn't terrifically impressed with what I saw - Trine is a game I despise and Fly'n appeared to be 90% visuals and 8% game (and 2% stuff which was broken in the demo at least!!)

p.s. I loved Escape Goat - just loved it :)