Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I don't know if my complete inability to recollect the Meat Circus is due to my lack of struggle with it or a subconscious effort to rid myself of its memory. I do remember the final boss.

Favorite platformers by far are VVVVVV and the Commander Keen series.

Am the only one who finds SMB to be far harder then VVVVVV? I can't seem to make much progress in SMB whenever I pick it up over the course of the last few years but VVVVVV I managed to ace with all collectibles in a few afternoons. I'm not particularity great at reflex games.

Maybe it's because VVVVVV can trick you into thinking it's harder then it is with all the odd angles, fluorescent spikes and maddening soundtrack.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I found that most of the platform parts of psychonauts could be broken through injudicious use of levitate, so it didn't trouble me too much. I think the real problem with the meat circus was that it was really, really long in a game that normally avoided long levels.
    I think it's more that it just didn't really work as an idea beyond being a platform level I think. Playing the other levels everything seemed to just fit together to be more than the sum of their parts, this mash mash of all sorts of genres and approaches which felt like the most *right* thing in the universe when you were playing them, whereas Meat Circus was just a creepy Circus platform level that could have fitted into any other 3D platform game.

It used all sorts of bastard tricks like time limit and screen of moving death just to make things hard because it was the end of the game. It was incredibly "gamey" and cliched, precisely what you would have predicted the last level of a platformer to be, whereas Psychonauts was otherwise mind bendingly creative and daring. Set against the rest of the game it felt broken and forced and inelegant and mean, and left a properly sour taste in the mouth because of how lovely and delicious everything else was before.

In spite of all that though: It might not be the best game I've ever played, although it would be jostling for that spot, but it is genuine genius in my opinion, I don't think I could say that of any other game I've ever enjoyed to the same degree. Psychonauts is a manifesto for what gaming should be-pretty much anything you can conceive of.

Contra III and Megaman X, hands down.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    Favorite platformers by far are VVVVVV and the Commander Keen series.

Am the only one who finds SMB to be far harder then VVVVVV? I can't seem to make much progress in SMB whenever I pick it up over the course of the last few years but VVVVVV I managed to ace with all collectibles in a few afternoons. I'm not particularity great at reflex games.

Maybe it's because VVVVVV can trick you into thinking it's harder then it is with all the odd angles, fluorescent spikes and maddening soundtrack.
    Different people have different strengths, I suppose. I think it's at least partially that VVVVVV wants you to overcome the challenges. Check how many times you die in the same amount of time between VVVVVV and SMB. I bet you between the extremely forgiving check-pointing and the lack of a lives system, game over screen and level structure, you spend a lot more time learning how to do specific challenges in VVVVVV than you do in other difficult platformers--you probably die as often if not more before beating the really difficult parts in VVVVVV but you start right back at the part that gave you trouble and don't have as much easy fluff to repeat. A lot of platformers that require similarly technical handling of the character expect you to learn whole levels in one go rather than learn them step-by-step, challenge-by-challenge.**

It's also possible that you find VVVVVV easier than SMB in all senses. For me, it took more hours of gameplay to beat Super Mario 3 and I didn't have a score that was particularly special ... but the moment to moment gameplay of SMB wasn't more technical in my experience. It was slower, longer, and less forgiving but not more technical.

Compare SMB to Ghosts and Goblins or Megaman to get what I would consider a more sensible comparison.

**P.S. Returning to VVVVVV largely for the soundtrack I was too cheap to buy for a while, I was able to breeze through things that took me hundreds of tries previously. I do not find this to be the case with SMB. I feel like VVVVVV cheated by helping me memorize specific challenges better but ALSO made up for this by expecting higher mastery of the core techniques for general transit around the "easy" parts. You have as many "lives" as you want, but EVERYTHING is an insta-kill. No size changes or health bars for you! Ghosts And Goblins does something similar. There are the exact challenges, yes ... but you need to really grok the controls to get past the first half of the first level live--let alone with your armor still on.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 09-01-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

I mostly like to play starcraft 2. Its famous among the youngster. I really like it so much.

Argh, I forgot about Super Ghosts and Goblins.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderpunch View Post
    Argh, I forgot about Super Ghosts and Goblins.
    Oops! I should have said Super Ghosts and Goblins. I haven't played the original, just the SNES version.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Jumpman on the c64
    Every Level was completely different from the others,and you could slow down or speed up the game to your skill level.But you lost Points that way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1stgFZrQ4

and

Bubble Bobble

and

Spelunky
    Last edited by Arona Daal; 10-01-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc