Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Obscure Node

Your hopes for the year ahead?

Just wondering what everyone is hoping for in the gaming industry for the year ahead? Not talking about what specific games you are looking forward to most, but what events you hope to see?

Couple of mine are that Sim City is actually a success:

EA are bringing their classic city management sim out of the archives with the release of the new SimCitytitle in March. I greatly enjoyed my limited hands-on time with it back at last yearís Eurogamer Expo and saw a lot of potential to fill our days with city management woes and fears of horrific meteor strikes destroying everything. I just hope that it remains true to the series and doesnít turn into another game likeCities XL which overreached and fell apart. The connected cities idea in SimCity sounds promising, but the requirement to be constantly connected to the EA servers, even for singleplayer concerns me. I donít want to see a repeat of Cities XL; I want SimCity to be a wonderful PC title not dragged down by awkward DRM. Iím just hoping that things turn out for the best with it.
    And another big hope of mine stems from the #1ReasonWhy event from last year, and that is to see a much greater level of equality between the genders both in games themselves and in games development:

My most genuine hope lies within gender equality. I, like many, am tired of female characters in games following the same old pattern of simply being there as eye candy. I want to see an increase in strong female lead characters this year, but I see things only really changing if sports games can get on board. After the amazing year of sport in 2012, it is impossible to ignore the achievements made by women, yet sports games largely ignore or push women to the background. This was most evident for me in the London 2012 videogame where there wasnít an equal balance between male and female sports. Further, I wonder how difficult it would be womenís teams and league to be included in FIFA or Football Manager.
    I also hope to see an increase in gender equality in game development; this was brought to light with the #1ReasonWhy Twitter discussion last year. If more female developers are given the opportunity to influence the direction games take during production, maybe we will see an improvement to in-game equality as well.

Quotes are from my article on this topic on The Reticule.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Actually i don't hope for anything,i go with the flow haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Actually i don't hope for anything,i go with the flow haha.
    Pretty much, really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I hope GTA V gets a PC port this year.
    I hope all THQ ips make it out ok.
    I hope Prey 2 is still alive and kicking.
    I hope Kickstarters start to deliver en masse.
    I hope STALKER 2 somehow appears in good shape and being worked on.
    I hope we hear news of Half Life.
    I hope we get new consoles this year.
    I hope Ground Zeroes is released this year on PC.

World Peace would be alright too.
    steam: sketch

Banned
    My most genuine hope lies within gender equality.
    Thanks for the laugh.

There is still hope for Mechwarrior Online. I also hope to move to a place with proper goddamn Internet so I can really get into some online games.

+1 for Simcity. Really hope it will deliver. Promotional material has been good for building hype, but I'll see reviews on this one.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    More blood! More violence! More WARFACE!

Or to be serious:
    1. I hope for a good SimCity, because it's been too long
    2. I hope for news about Half Life 3, because it's been a trillion years
    3. I hope we stop calling attention to the trolls and treating them as entertainment
    4. I hope Australia's new R18+ rating isn't going to be an empty gesture
    5. I hope new consoles come out, but I don't hope that it ignites a new upgrade cycle treadmill (I'm comfortable right now)
    6. I hope authorware packages like Game Maker Studio and Unity keep improving and see more widespread adoption, perhaps with more visual scripting solutions for non-programmers

Also to play the bad guy (because it seems to be my reputation on RPS lately), I kind of hope that one of the major Kickstarters fails to deliver. Not just because I like to see failure, but because it'd introduce a healthy dose of reality to Kickstarter, highlighting that it isn't a massive dreamfactory where we always get exactly what we wanted, and that caution is still required.

I also hope the social game sector implodes, because Zynga suck.
    Last edited by soldant; 06-01-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Actually mobile games are okay, THEY MAY LIVE TODAY.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Also to play the bad guy (because it seems to be my reputation on RPS lately), I kind of hope that one of the major Kickstarters fails to deliver. Not just because I like to see failure, but because it'd introduce a healthy dose of reality to Kickstarter, highlighting that it isn't a massive dreamfactory where we always get exactly what we wanted, and that caution is still required.
    I've got to agree with you on this, right now my feeling is that some groups of developers are seeing Kickstarter as a simple way to get the funding they need without really giving the full consideration to whether they will eventually be able to deliver on all of their goals. If something big failed, it might make things a bit more realistic. Not that I want something to fail really, but it might be for the best in the long-term.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    More blood! More violence! More WARFACE!
    Can't help but agree to an extent, though my main hope is that the majority of Kickstarters are seen as successful so that people don't shy away from it entirely.

I also hope that a Kickstarter with a crazy seeming innovative idea which I've either never heard of or didn't back turns into a fantastic game that I (and hopefully the majority of others) would never have seen coming. One of those ideas that once it succeeds has everyone wondering who nobody else has done it yet. That would be excellent. EDIT: Basically what Feldspar said while I was typing this, it doesn't have to be a Kickstarter I just think that would make for a neat story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    But... If they don't fail to deliver, then it is a massive dreamfactory where we always get exactly what we wanted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Well, the main thing for me is that (the Half Life series excepted), I love Valve's games, and would be hugely interested in seeing what they could do with an engine that can render larger areas, and just do more in general. The idea that it might be easier to make content using it (perhaps with an interface similar to the Portal 2 level editor) is an added bonus too.
    Oh from a Valve perspective sure, though it'll probably need a major overhaul. The thing with content that I was getting at wasn't level design (although Hammer is a relic of the Worldcraft-Quake era and needs to die) but with importing things like art assets - models in particular. Newer engines have much easier pipelines while Source is an absolute nightmare to work with. Authorware packages like Unity accept almost anything or at least as an FBX export. Apart from the fact that modders just need to make higher quality content they're stuck on an asset pipeline which is stuck in the past, and wasn't even very good back then.

As for level designs - the Portal 2 map editor was remarkably good for what it was, but I don't think you can extend the concept. Portal 2 levels have a distinct aesthetic which makes them easy to create in that editor. You'd hit the limit fairly quickly trying to do something more complex - like the behind-the-curtain sections of Portal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    But... If they don't fail to deliver, then it is a massive dreamfactory where we always get exactly what we wanted.
    Then yay? But we can put money on at least one of them outright failing or turning out something which doesn't meet expectations. Whether it'll be this year (or from 2012's batch of Kickstarters which expect to release something this year) isn't clear, but at some point one of them will fail.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Then yay? But we can put money on at least one of them outright failing or turning out something which doesn't meet expectations. Whether it'll be this year (or from 2012's batch of Kickstarters which expect to release something this year) isn't clear, but at some point one of them will fail.
    Oh, most definitely. But let's instead hope for the failure to be later, rather than sooner. Happy thoughts! Sunshine and rainbow bubblegum, and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    No! Stop that! This optimism must stop now!
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Almost everyone is well aware of the risk at this point, most major game columns have talked about it. It seems like you want people to lose money so you can feel superior to them.

Also, I have my doubts about the new Dragon Age. Bioware has shown a fundamental disregard for gameplay in favor of story in recent years. They keep treating the two as entirely separate, and gameplay items and powers are your reward for proceeding in the story. I don't think the studio culture can solve that problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hope we get some good quality non-action RPGs, there haven't really been any of note, even average ones, for a while. I hope that Towns implements an easy way to give items to Heroes, because that is really annoying. Apart from that, I have plenty of good games already so I'm just hoping for a few good games that do interesting things to keep things fresh.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Obscure Node
    I hope carmageddon doesn't suck and they add a ton more content to firefall, which is looking quite promising to me in it's current beta state. And personally I plan to finally get good at that dota 2 game.

In general I hope that the kickstarter games come out reasonably on time, some delays are inevitable, and on the whole feel polished and content complete. The whole "kickstarter will stop publishers forcing us to rush games" argument will unravel quickly if kickstarted games don't launch in a relatively polished state. I'm thinking specifically of Obsidian here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I hope all casual gamers are put into a rocket and launched into the sun!
    pass

Banned
    That would include most of RPS forums.

...make it so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    That would include most of RPS forums.

...make it so.

Oh haha,and what makes you so hardcore ? :D