The Guardian Thread - Lootstick Emporium

Credit to Obal from Death & Taxes for the PvE guardian guides.

In order to keep it nice and simple, I'm only going to cover the main build.
    If you want to learn more about hammer or scepter builds, you can read a more in-depth guide HERE.

Video guide (15m 2s) by Obal.

PvE

Mace/Torch + Greatsword

Best build for solo and group content.
    Use scepter instead of mace for ranged option.

Specializations:

• Zeal 2-2-3
    • Radiance 2-2-1
    • Virtues 1-1-2

Traits highlighted in yellow are optional and should be used depending on the situation.

Zeal:

• Use Zealous Scepter if you're using a scepter and your group doesn't stack might (or playing solo with a scepter). Use alongside with Supreme Justice trait for maximum effect.

Virtues:

Rotation:

Mace2 -> Torch4 (Trait Proc) -> Torch4 -> swap -> GS2 -> GS4 -> GS5 -> GS3 -> GS Chain -> GS Chain -> GS2-> swap -> Torch4 (Trait Proc) -> Mace2 -> Torch4 -> Mace Chain -> Mace Chain -> Mace2 -> Mace Autos -> Torch4 (Trait Proc) -> Torch4 -> swap and repeat gs and mace combo. Wait for Torch4 Proc before swaps. You might not get in the Torch4 proc after swapping from GS to Mace.

If this seems too complicated, here's a quick rundown - You'll want a high symbol uptime (that's Mace2 and GS4). You want to use Torch4 as many times as possible (with the trait proc and normal). GS2 is still a huge burst damage, you'll want to use this before and after swapping weapons. Try not to break the auto-attack chain.

Skills:

Heal:

Utilities:

You're always switching utilities around. Some encounters require more projectile defense. Some need a lot of stability. You need to be prepared beforehand and swap in the utilities you're going to need.

Elite:

• "Feel My Wrath!" - Your go to elite. A great damage boost for the entire group. Short CD, use it often or time it with specific boss phases.
    • Renewed Focus - If you need the blocks and virtue recharge.

Gear:

• Everything Berserker's.
    • Use a few pieces of Knight's/Soldier's gear if you need more survivability.

Runes:

Sigils:

or

Notable Weapon Skills:

• Staff 1 is why staff is called the 'lootstick'. Use it in open world zerg farming.
    • Staff 3 is a symbol that gives swiftness.
    • Staff 4 gives might and heals nearby allies. Don't use it if your group stacks might, the boon duration difference is huge.
    • Staff 5 can be used for crowd control.
    • Greatsword 5 can be used to group enemies together.
    • Hammer 2 is your only reliable blast finisher.
    • Hammer 3 can be used for crowd control.
    • Hammer 4 can be used to push an enemy away from an area.
    • Hammer 5 can be used for crowd control.
    • Scepter 3 can be used for crowd control.
    • Torch 5 can be used for condition removal on allies.
    • Focus 5 can be used if you need additional blocks. Can be used as a blast finisher.
    • Shield 5 can be used to knock enemies back and absorb projectiles (don't use a shield though).
    • If you ever happen to be underwater, use a Spear.

Dungeons guide by Zui.
    Fractals guide by Zui.

Reserved for future content.

Here is an update by Obal, mainly about the hammer build for FotM, which is now Zeal/Honor/Virtues.

Also, the main build depends on mace for symbol uptime, I think if you're going scepter but not full scepter you're best off using the hammer build.

Excellent OP btw, gonna have to step up my game on the ranger thread

P.S. I see videos of people also swapping in the meditation heal these days.
    Last edited by Taverius; 29-06-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    Steam: Taverius
    GW2: Katekk | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Dubhán | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: Hawksbane

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Great guide, thanks. That rotation looks pretty intimidating.

Kraitkin owners heartily disagree with your preference for Spear!
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by Taverius View Post
    Here is an update by Obal, mainly about the hammer build for FotM, which is now Zeal/Honor/Virtues.

Also, the main build depends on mace for symbol uptime, I think if you're going scepter but not full scepter you're best off using the hammer build.

Excellent OP btw, gonna have to step up my game on the ranger thread

P.S. I see videos of people also swapping in the meditation heal these days.
    Thanks!

The hammer builds are not as bad as I initially thought. Now that the 5-guardian party is a bit too effective, I'm afraid we're getting a nerf soon. A longer cooldown for "Feel my Wrath!" for sure.

The scepter is an odd thing. You don't want to use it more than necessary. Only for specific encounters (Lupi, Legendary Imbued Shaman or Archdiviner for example). Just swap out 1 or 2 traits in Zeal and you're good to go. Just remember to swap back to mace when you're done.
    If you don't have a mace, then I agree. It's better to go with a hammer build in general.

The Litany of Wrath is interesting. I really like the idea but it can be very unreliable. I'd never take it for Mai Trin.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Kraitkin owners heartily disagree with your preference for Spear!
    I only recently found out that Trident 2 has a blast finisher, I was blown away but it's still rubbish for damage.
    Last edited by Maurish; 29-06-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurish View Post
    The hammer builds are not as bad as I initially thought. Now that the 5-guardian party is a bit too effective, I'm afraid we're getting a nerf soon. A longer cooldown for "Feel my Wrath!" for sure.
    FMW is somewhat broken atm now that Quickness stacks so effectively. They can't nerf hammer without making it pointless in pvp, though, which is something they will never do

P.S. The other reason 5-hammer teams work is that Symbolic Avenger is bugged and applies the 10% bonus for every symbol present, not only you own, and once for each symbol.

So each guardian in a 5-hammer team has 10%x10%x10%x10%x10% = 61% DPS bonus just from that trait.
    Last edited by Taverius; 29-06-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    GW2: Katekk | Eindís Starfire | Lamya Medhea | Janina Björnsdóttir | Taizo Smokerend | Dubhán | Ásleif Stormwalk | Ashken Medhea

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Symbolic Avenger has been disabled until they can fix it. Until next "scheduled update" apparently.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Symbolic Avenger has been disabled until they can fix it. Until next "scheduled update" apparently.
    I really feel they should make a way to communicate news like this to everyone. Not just people who browse forums or Reddit.

The rest of the grandmaster traits in Zeal are a bit underwhelming in PvE.

Well, shattered aegis is at least a dps increase in the meta build.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Maybe if you run Honor and can't use Spirit Weapons at all. With Virtues you never want to lose aegis, so it would be best to take Sword of Justice and go Expeditious Spirit instead.

I never run UC, my uptime on it is basically non-existant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    I have been taken down pre-path by a full spirit weapon build so there must be some instances it can cause trouble - likely even more so now as it has more focus. tbh given the volatile nature of pvp I think we will start potentially seeing guessing builds as you load a map and run to see if you can see sigils etc on the other players and then trying to see if a build will work well as a counter - or just running the build you want and it might work, might not.

Think the overall focus on making more viable builds that each have advantages is a very good thing - and will have taken a lot of effort tbh to manage. We may well end up a meta dps build but in pvp that may be entirely irrelevant and other builds take sway - which will be good.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away