Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: WvW happenings

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Yup. Despite my success last night the people in /P will know my frustration with proceedings in WSR BL.

@Malfious: Yeah, you may have noticed I nipped into EB fairly briefly. Kireav (spelling?) and I were discussing the state of play there during my jaunt. I thought he was doing quite a good job, but it seemed that there was just an immense amount of backseat commanders there. I really wish that people would learn to shut up and listen to their commanders, or at least put advice in a whisper or in /P.

These people have tags for a reason and EB is enough of a clusterfuck when we have SM without every idiot who thinks that they're qualified (yet don't have a tag) barking orders in /T. I actually like it when you guys tell me shit privately because otherwise I'm just one guy randomly running around the map without any indication where our enemies are.

Yet the only thing worse than everyone speaking in /T is when no one at all pays attention to /T.

All that said, just because someone has a blue tag it doesn't make them worth following for that reason alone. Val is the epitome of this - Hell, I remember him asking what Quaggan camps do a week ago in /T. It tells you in the damn WvWvW tutorial!

Before his hiatus, Nidhogg of [VS] said some wise words in one of the Monday night Mumble meetings about how people should pick and choose their commanders and, if they don't like them, they should just fuck off and do their own thing. I agreed with that and I think it's your responsibility to think whether the blue tag you're following is worth trusting and commanders win trust by showing their skill. After trust and the commander has demonstrated that they're actually competent, you can start figuring out whether that particular commander fits with your own playstyle.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Network Hub
    Great to see that GH and especially the RPS crew is still busy fending off impetuous heretics. As you might have noticed (or not), me and my somewhat psychotic plant lady haven't been around for ages, so i decided to at least say hi and that i'm still there in spirit :) work, family related nonsense, health and the overall tendency of time to flow in a fixed direction has kept me from logging in at all in quite a while (nothing as dramatic as it sounds, but small nonsense has the tendency to gang up on you and hamper one's motivation)

but who am i kidding, of course all that is just an excuse for my grudge against ANet of being shortsighted enough that they still haven't included armored war-manatee-mounts or siege-dugongs (how they managed to make GW a success without those still mystifies me to no end - i still blame the overall focus on 'dungeons' in modern fantasy games on some ancient mishap involving a lazy, inattentive typist and a possibly slightly dyslexic concept artist - dugong, dungeon... an easy mistake to make, but obviously fatal in the large scheme of things)

Err, but yeah, despite my complete lack of attendance i haven't decided to actually abandon GW completely and i should be back eventually to once again roam the borderlands. (With Lilium, if that wasn't blatantly obvious)

Network Hub
    You certainly stealthed for a long time there. Do come back and condition-damage those other pesky thieves to death for us.

RPS seems to be turning into quite a strong WvW guild on the server, almost by accident. There's loads more of us running around than back at launch.

(Icepop)

Jesus, so after one 400+ guild from WSR jumped ship to GH, now The Karma Initiative, reddit's guild is considering the move as well.

I'm all for guilds coming to GH, but I have to say big guilds worry me a bit.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

I can't complain too much about new people coming over. We took Cliffside in WSR BL tonight and I don't think we would have held it for nearly as long as we did without Freyn and his [Ink] gang there. The only thing I'm concerned about is that if they build us up to a higher tier and then leave, allowing us to plummet back down.

Commanding this week has almost been... interesting and pretty fun at the same time. As you all know, I've kept off Mumble for the most part because I prefer to listen to Frank Ocean than some of the stuff on there.

That said, it has made me communicate a lot more in all of the chat channels in the game and ultimately my zerg-herding skills have improved because of it.

On the flip side, I feel like I'm quickly becoming at odds with certain types of people. I've expressed my despair for Mumblers who pay no attention to /T before and the presence of these folks is becoming more apparent, at least in my eyes.

Moreover, I don't actually mind people who could be considered 'backseat commanders'. We had one guy running with us tonight who was pretty vocal, but I didn't mind it because he was making good calls. However, I do really dislike people who go batshit when our BL turns a little bit of the enemies' colours - or if we're in one of their BLs and we lose 'Lake or 'Briar. Don't these people understand that there's something called 'breakout events' now?

I had a lot of fun tonight but it was punctuated by moments of frustration that make it transparent why GH suffers a low tier in the rankings that doesn't just boil down to lack of numbers.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    I had a lot of fun tonight but it was punctuated by moments of frustration that make it transparent why GH suffers a low tier in the rankings that doesn't just boil down to lack of numbers.
    To be fair, I don't think that this would be any different on other servers. As far as I've heard from people playing on higher ranked servers, there are always people complaining, trolling, shouting, etc. in chat and on TS/Mumble. Although I have been away from GW2/WvW since before Christmas and therefore cannot judge the current situation too well, I find the general direction in which GH as a server develops to be quite positive. The influx of other guilds shows that the hard work to build a community with a backbone is starting to pay off and that's something that makes me happy to see.

As for bigger guilds becoming a problem: Since large parts of non-WvW-focussed guilds never set foot into PvP/WvW in the first place, I would not worry too much about queues and the like.

Hopefully I'll soon get back into the game a bit more, looks like I am missing out on a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    I can't complain too much about new people coming over. We took Cliffside in WSR BL tonight and I don't think we would have held it for nearly as long as we did without Freyn and his [Ink] gang there. The only thing I'm concerned about is that if they build us up to a higher tier and then leave, allowing us to plummet back down.
    Yes, Imp moving over was a very good thing, but you can't compare a 10 man guild of close friends with a 400+ guild. We will go up if numbers improve, just because we're going to have more zergs going around. I hope that by the time we rise in tiers they get off their arses and disable that damned free world transfer.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    I hope that by the time we rise in tiers they get off their arses and disable that damned free world transfer.
    I couldn't agree more.

I don't mind it being free but they should increase the free cooldown from a week to at least a month or two. So that it is not just an oh well we will change back next week.

Yes haha - it's [Imp] not [Ink].

Don't get me wrong - I've had a lot of fun recently in WvWvW. It's great to see RPS pulling 20+ people on a week night in there.
    Guild Wars 2:

Hey Duke,

Could you or Aliss respond to Insky http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/threads/7...ull=1#post5429

Quote Originally Posted by Lippsy View Post
    Hey Duke,

Could you or Aliss respond to Insky http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/threads/7...ull=1#post5429
    Done.

10char

Network Hub
    So the massive Russian guild alliance of XAOC are splitting up and some going to Vabbi, who are languishing at the bottom of the ladder and some are going to Surmia. This sort of server hopping completely destroys what little balance the ranking system has managed and means weeks of one-sided zergings as they move up tiers. Anet really need to sort this out soon before it drives more players away.

It's nice that we're getting some more guilds transfer over and I think GH as a server is held in high regard as having good, honourable players and a fun community. We've had a few people go off to check out other servers and come back saying they missed the team spirit we have here, which is much more important than being in a high tier IMO.

Since before KISS left it's always seemed that the core of the WvW side was made up of small guilds working well together and having an egalitarian approach to getting stuff done. While this has lead to confusion and lack of planning at times, it's also meant we've largely avoided the worst of the hardcore guild egos making demands on the rest of the players. I really like this sort of amateurish setup and the one thing that will destroy WvW for me would be a load of massive guilds turning up and bossing people around. Let's hope the car crash of the higher tiers doesn't mean we get too much of that. Of course smaller guilds that play well with others would be welcome, but I hope we don't have people trying to recruit from the higher tiers.

I hope the 10-core initiatives helps us improve working as a series of small guilds or random parties that learn to cooperate at short notice to achieve stuff larger zergs can't manage. It's a much more interesting style of play and the sort of thing that typifies what GH is about as a WvW server.
    Last edited by Quine; 11-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.

FYI.

Keeping the peace.
    Guild Wars 2:

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Quine View Post
    This sort of server hopping completely destroys what little balance the ranking system has managed and means weeks of one-sided zergings as they move up tiers. Anet really need to sort this out soon before it drives more players away.
    I've been wondering about this for weeks now, I think the general concensus is that guesting is borked.

There has been no word on it, and until that is sorted the servers can't really be locked down. Guesting should be there because servers are bound to the whole player account and server lockdown is only there because of WvW, but in turn WvW relys on the server lockdowns to prevent what you mention from happening. It would be near impossible to shift a whole 1000+ man guild when it costs 20g+ a pop to move over. At the moment it's stupidly easy.

Still, here's hoping. Maybe in one of the upcoming patches.

Network Hub
    Oddly enough Anet have started opening up a bit on the official WvW forum- I can't post a link or this post will disappear into the pre-moderation abyss, but here's what Mike Ferguson said:

And yes, we need to get paid server transfers in. We all agree with that statement, and we’re trying to make it happen as soon as we can, while still making sure the guesting system is as useful and easy to use as possible. We’re agonizingly close, so hopefully soon we can stop talking about it and just do it!
    If there's still work to be done on getting guesting to work properly for PVE guild/dungeon use I can just imagine the WVW development team and the PVE/dungeon development team both screaming at management to get paid transfers in now/wait for guesting to be fixed ever since launch. Still it should be there soon.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Quine View Post
    You certainly stealthed for a long time there.
    Yeah, you know how it is with thieves and culling issues, eh? But on a somewhat more serious note... after reading the last couple of posts i'm actually somewhat surprised (in a 'but not really' kind of way) that one of the biggest issues with wvw still exists (well, the second biggest, but let's give siege manatees a rest for now) - afterall, free transfers were a huge problem and source of frustration 'back then' and that apparently hasn't changed one iota? But alas, if the devs are at least (once again) talking about it openly then here's hoping i guess. At least i seem to remember reading something about mesmer portals being somewhat fixed by now?

Ah and Krathor, i've noticed that you used the word commanding in one of your posts - did you ever get around to buy one of those fancy blue icon related books? Even though you managed to keep things organized without one of those back when i still was (hyper) active i always thought that one of those might suit you well

Guild Wars 2:

Hengis said:
    Camp supply buffs - the +5 supply on camps (making 15 in total) only costs 200 Guild Influence and lasts 12 hours. It also doesnt matter if we loose the camp as you can reapply the buff when we take it back. You can even "Move" the buff to where it is needed by claiming a different camp nearer the action if needed. Even smaller guilds (like mine) should claim camps and put up the +5 supply when they can and leave the towers, keeps and garrisons to the big guilds. Having a source of 15 supply can help everyone.
    This would be super-useful when we run the RPS-core or even smaller groups and 200 influence spent 2-3 times per week is almost nothing for us I'd say. Who's able to claim and apply this upgrade from the currently active people?

Me, I'll check who else tonight when I get back home. Officers at least, I would assume.