Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: WvW happenings

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    Jarnade being close to his own
    Not that close Duke, only a third right now. Will probably get it in the next 1-2 months depending on exams, if I go to rezzed, and some other things like that.

But I agree that we should kinda re-enter the rest of the GH community at some point, I have some concerns but I'll catch you on mumble before I give them much public voice.
    Last edited by Karuji; 03-05-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Forgot the rest of the post before posting

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    I think I'm taking a little more of an administrative role
    I notice you've toned down your clothing, too, are you going to start wearing glasses and trying your hair back?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Haha I wasn't being negative guys. I think it's really good to have other commanders within the guild - so we don't end up in situations like in April when I was out of action. It puts less pressure on me to perform on a nightly basis (hurr) but have no fear; I don't intend on hanging up my field boots or anything like that.

Essentially I think guilds like RPS are what could push GH beyond our current tier and actually keep it there. Reading about the EVE coverage on RPS (the site) makes me think that maybe we could employ some of that premium-level propaganda to drum up numbers for Gunnar's.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Fantastic night everyone. Awesome turn-out for reset. Awesome play - we went with our strengths, seized the right opportunities and turned our own Borderlands back green. Beautiful.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Network Hub
    It was fun, even though we're winning handily right now. That assault on Bay with the long lord's room fight was epic and congrats to Fearsum on getting that critical AC down and us holding until SOE got back in there.

Decided to get the first two arrowcart abilities - longer range and more damage. Seeing as they are feared weapons of mass death now, may as well take full advantage

Network Hub
    Piece on the rise of comms in gaming:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...ance-of-voice/

What's interesting is that the RPS Planetside 2 night had dedicated radio operators in each squad to try to allow tactical information to get from the squads to the platoon leaders. It would be great if GH guilds could do something similar.

Thanks for the fun in WvW saturday guys.

Network Hub
    Yeah Duke's event was lots of fun.

If we can reach the next tier then our next match looks to be Dzagonur and Ruins of Surmia again, although recent transfers may mean a slightly more balanced match this time. Should be exciting funtimes.

Not to mention Votf left RoS and the other 2 big guilds are playing neverwinter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    That RPS article is really interesting. Radio operators etc would be properly useful for xcore style stuff. Not sure how it would work on an ordinary WvW night.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by Lippsy View Post
    Not to mention Votf left RoS and the other 2 big guilds are playing neverwinter.
    A fate that will probably (at some point) be shared by a large chunk of the GW2 playerbase. People just like trying out new stuff, the grass is always greener, etc..

@Quine: Similar things have been discussed from time to time in the community meetings but there seems to be nobody interested in taking that role. Usually we don't even have a person dedicated to feeding Mumble details into map chat.
    Last edited by Squiz; 13-05-2013 at 04:20 PM.

I remember when I started playing, people would do that. Now map chat is more or less dead.

As for the playerbase, it will be interesting to see how the eventual release of TESO, with its WvW-style pvp mode, impacts on GW2 (and especially on WvW). Really can't see how those guilds are thinking of Neverwinter as a replacement for GW2, though. No serious PvP going on there, and what there is is seriously undermined by the cash shop.

Are people playing more WvW now that we have an easier match-up? It seems to be much busier every time I go in.

Neverwinter sounds like a bit of a mess, is it really as pay-to-win as the rumours?

There's an informative thread on the pay-to-win issue on the RPS Neverwinter sub-forum, just over there -->
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...as-some-issues

People say that our WvW population varies a lot depending on how the matches are going. I've no idea whether we're unusual in that respect.

Also true, Saph. Given that GW2's pricing model is pretty unique at the moment, I am not too worried about a dwindling number of players. Concerning PvP: Since I am as much interested in PvE as in PvP, this too doesn't worry me all that much. Hopefully, future patches will breath some fresh air into the s/tPvP scene once more, which in turn might also benefit WvW. I know that the interest in good PvP is there (just listen to some GW2 podcasts and look at self-organised tournaments, there is a lot of info about that to be found on reddit), it's just the implementation that is still lacking. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Well, TESO's trebuchets at least look somewhat believable. I'm sure this will be the reason for people to abandon GW2.

Network Hub
    We get a lot of people rushing into WVW when we're dominating, and a lot less when the fights start getting hard, sadly.

The metagame seems to be changing now- after certain players rushed to get onto their best bet to reach the top tiers we now have more people deliberately dropping out of Tiers 1-4 and trying to find actual fun smaller-scale fights further down the ladder, even to the extent of small roaming guilds in the US league agreeing on lower servers to spread themselves out on to get some more fun small-scale play in.

GH has had a few smaller guilds turn up recently from higher up looking for more room to fight and more potential to make a difference. Interestingly I haven't heard of anyone particularly trying to actively recruit people- it's more the way the game dynamic is shifting.

It's pretty lame that some of the ProGuilds are hiding until the arrow cart buff gets nerfed- we've taken and defended stuff as normal and while the range is a bit much it hasn't stopped us playing the game. Assaulting defended positions is a bit harder now but that's required to get good fights IMO.

Jess does a good job of relaying information across chat and voicecomms when he's on, and fulfils the role of a map organiser/facilitator rather than giving out commands which is actually very useful on the borderlands. I was on EB a lot at the weekend and I still maintain that the 'randoms' there do a much better job of communicating and self-organising across the map than you see with a bunch of guild groups on the borderlands maps- unless they're running a multi-guild event there's very little information flying about that I can see. This makes it hard to face huge enemy blobs when they turn up on the map, unfortunately.

Hopefully we'll see some more XCore or similar events soon- the next match will be a lot harder and it would be great if we could get the server assembled beyond reset night to get stuck in.

Thank you all for coming on Saturday night gang. It was a lot of fun and that was actually my first successful large-scale golem rush. I have a lot of thoughts on the matter that I intend to write-up in a more formal blog post or something. It was a great educational experience and I think a two-hour timeslot is my optimal kind of duration for commanding.

I actually attended the RPS Planetside 2 event on Thursday, having played the game for about two hours in total prior to that. Their voice communications worked brilliantly well. However, I feel like the orders from the top kind of got lost on the way down. I got the impression the commanders had some great ideas in mind but they got interpreted in different ways by the various squad leaders. It's the best sort of event that I've attended working on that sort of level, but a bit more discipline (kind of like how our own more serious events work) would have gone a long way. I understand that it's difficult to employ that with an event that you've advertised on the main website so hey.

Overall I had more fun on Saturday than Thursday - there's probably a lot of reasons for that, but I feel like the pace of Guild Wars 2 is more fitting to the sort of PVP I enjoy.
    Guild Wars 2:

Network Hub
    Planetside 2 gets crazy quite fast, and you can die very quickly when it all starts kicking off. I run with RPS NC outfit occasionally and there's a lot less people on that faction so we have a lot more scope for silly/different tactics that work most of the time. I think a lot of people were new to the Thursday event so the fact they got anything achieved is impressive- just getting people into a dropship without accidents polishing everyone off is hard to manage, and tank columns turn into traffic jam aircraft bait very fast.

What I miss from Planetside 1 was commanders levelling up their command ranks upto CR5- different ranks gave you access to new command chat (text) channels and neat stuff like orbital strikes, so the commanders could all discuss high-level plans and filter the info down to the platoon leaders without too much interference.

It's a real shame GW2 doesn't give more options to create custom chat channels or extended party options to get eg. guild leaders into an extra channel for organisation. I don't suppose anet have hinted at anything like that any time soon? Commander only guilds would work but it's a bit of a hack to be honest...