Thread: WvW happenings

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    ah, here

you'll need to log in to see it.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Uhm.

10char
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

World vs World Seasons announced:

"Starting October 4th, and running through to November 21st, ArenaNet are going to create four leagues in North America and three leagues in Europe. These leagues will be made up of different worlds based on their current rating. For example, Europe has 27 worlds, so three leagues of nine: the top nine, middle nine and bottom nine.

Each and every world in a league will face every other world in the same league over the seven week period. Within this time there will be weekly rewards, culminating in a end of season reward for each world that tops their respective league. An example reward was a trophy styled finisher unique to those who win their leagues."

http://www.pcgamesn.com/guildwars/ar...orld-whos-best
    Guild Wars 2: Winston Moriarty

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    That's pretty intriguing, and it will be good to have a reason to push hard in every match.

I worry about ending up in the "bronze league" though -- the prospect of 7 weeks of Arborstone/Blacktide/Vabbi matches would probably lead to all the decent guilds leaving. At the moment we're predicted to be 18th this week, so it's a close-run thing.

I can also see guilds transferring from the bottom of the gold league to the leader of the silver league, for example, just to get the rewards...this is open to abuse, and they'll have to be careful about the implementation.

Another problem here is that they really shouldn't be putting all this weight on who wins matchups before they've fixed the scoring system -- i.e. adjust scores for coverage. At the moment, every match is won by the server with the best coverage.

Edit: they've already addressed this.

Your reward will be based on the server you log into the first time once the season starts. You can transfer as much as you like, but you will still get the reward from that first server.
    That's better I suppose...but still open to abuse.
    Last edited by jha4ceb; 01-09-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

If there's nine servers in every week, wouldn't it take eight weeks to have everyone face off, not seven?
    Also, I completely agree about the scoring system. As much as I appreciate that some changes are coming to WvW, basic stuff should really really come first. But then again, maybe it will be introduced with the same changes.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

I would have thought not, since we face two servers each week. We won't get every possible combination in seven weeks, though, I think.

Ouch, I shouldn't try to do math after getting up!

Edit: The only good thing I can get from a WvW "season" is that they might tie in achievements, rewards, etc. meaning there could be a bigger casual crowd/more coverage. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Labbes; 01-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    such a good idea
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    Let me give you an example from a casual WvW player:
    Sometimes I go into WvW and everything is ours; so I leave and do something else (admittedly only recently).
    Sometimes I go into WvW and there is no tag and I roam on my own for while until I get bored or gangked too many times and then leave.
    Sometimes I go into WvW and there is a tag up and I follow the commander and really enjoy myself
    Sometimes I go into mumble and it's empty, so I leave
    I gotta say that's pretty much my experience too, I very rarely have fun in there on my own.

Yeah, My experience too. I can try and cap a resource camp on my own, or kill some veteran guards for the daily achievements, but unless there's a commander and a certain equilibrium of people, it's rather boring. When it works, it's a riot, though.

Always worth calling out in guild chat if you find yourself alone in WvW. You'll often get a party together in no time.

Maybe I have missed something but apparently there is another WvW skillpoint reset incoming? Someone has put together a guide with some insightful comments about the various WvW skills and posted it over on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...oming_heres_a/

Yes, there is a reset coming before the WvW League Season 1 thing starts in October.

Don't forget that we're heading into WvW tonight for our weekly event.

World vs World Season 1.

The scoring system is interesting. 5 pts for winning a match, 3 pts for second, and 1 pt for third. Means that in the bronze league, a win against Vabbi and WSR will count for as many points as a win against Dzag and RoF. But so long as everyone gets equal fixtures, I guess this will be okay. Has anyone done the maths to work out whether all possible matches can be played in 7 weeks?

Edit: and here's the livestream about the new "orb" mechanic
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...mp_livestream/
    Last edited by jha4ceb; 07-09-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Seems that the new Bloodlust update is stepping on the toes of the hardcore guilds, since it interferes with GvG -- the orb bonus gives +50 to all stats, so no more level playing field. It's a shame that these people will be predisposed to dislike the change for that reason, because it does look as if it will be interesting. But on the other hand, 1 point per stomp would not have been enough motivation on its own to hold the buff.

The level playing field went out of the window with the last patch anyway, so I am not sure why they complain now. If this change pushes people to yell some more at Arenanet to give them proper PvP modes I would say that's a plus. Since this isn't going to happen anytime soon however, it is more likely that it'll drive people away.

It's nice to see that there is still someone interested in adding new stuff outside of PvE but apparently any changes introduced run the risk of interfering with people's fragile workarounds/fantasy rules they have come up with to patch up the remaining (gaping) holes left in PvP mode(s).

You mean ascended weapons? Eh, I doubt it. People would already have had varying rarities of trinkets for GvG, so I don't think that adding the weapons made a huge difference to that scene. Besides, it's easy to "opt out" of ascended weapons. You can easily have a no-ascended-weapon policy for your GvG scene, but you can't turn off the Orb buff, so it can't be avoided.

Obviously it is up to everyone which gear they want to bring to a fight. However it's unlikely that any standard apart from "best stuff you can get your hands on" will be applied in these fights since you can't control or even see/judge item quality from the outside.

Well, ascended weapons are pretty visible and distinctive. But the point is that the *option* is there, even if it's hard to regulate, whereas there is no option at all with orb buffs.