Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: WvW happenings

Does look like Saturday reset night was a one-off for them even for a weekend. I think we can beat them with the same effort as last week.

It does look like with the current scoring mechanics we may get bumped down to tier 6 by Drakkar Lake at some point, if not this week, then week after. But should be able to win our way back up in one week if that happens. Tier 5 is the right fit for us now.

Network Hub
    So I logged on earlier to find no-one in any of the community mumble map channels as everyone was off in their own guild channels instead. Not sure if they were all having events but it looks like a bit of backwards step to me in terms of getting the people on the server communicating effectively as a community.

Looks like FSP pulled out all the stops again today to get in the lead- wonder how it will end up?

Edit: looks like there were several guild nights happening which probably explains it. Was a bit worrying to see the map channels empty at the weekend...
    Last edited by Quine; 18-02-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    That is a troubling development - I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    While I am satisfied with the outcome of Saturday night, it did make for interesting watching. By around 9ish we had basically everyone in the community Mumble in our channel, yet really we were only able to manage our own Borderlands with those numbers. And even then we were only able to defend successfully due to balls-to-the-wall gambling. To be successful in the higher tiers, we need that event repeated four times over for each of the separate maps with the same levels of competence, teamwork and pure luck that defined Saturday night on our Borderlands. We simply don't have the numbers for that.

I was thankful for the numbers provided on Saturday and the inter-guild participation, but let's face it: We were a reactionary zerg. If we had all been split up into our separate guilds (which it sounds like people were on Sunday Ice?) then we wouldn't have been able to have that awesome situation when we took Hills while keeping hold of Bay. People need to learn to work together, utilise the numbers that we have and make smart decisions without egos and hundreds of commander tags getting in the way.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Network Hub
    Jess actually brought up the lack of people in the community channel at the meeting earlier highlighting the same concerns about it fragmenting the community and isolating guilds in their own little silos. Basically it was agreed that the whole area was a very complex problem as guilds obviously want to run their own comms to do guild type stuff and chat with guild people not in the game, but we also want to bring cooperation across all guilds in the server as it's more fun that way as well as being effective in general play. There will be some discussion among the guilds before the next meeting about how to tackle it and NOX have posted some details about their multi-comms setup so far.

I'd think that if at all possible people should try and stay on the correct map chat unless they're doing some guild or other event. We've had enough trouble with getting people to pay attention to mumble and/or map chat to keep information flowing without people disappearing into their own little guild zones by default, and it makes the server look empty as far are regional WVW goes when you see empty map channels.

If you look at the RPS Planetside 2 threads they have big problems with lots of people in the Vanu outfit all bantering over each other in a single channel of comms so reports get dropped and leaders commands get missed or questioned- even to the extent of people having to say 'break, break' to get people to shut up enough to get something important across. We're usually fairly good on comms discipline at GH considering it's the equivalent of 30 people sitting together and only one person speaking at any one time while lots of stuff is constantly going down, and it would be a shame to lose that multi-guild spirit.

Network Hub
    My suggestion was to possibly split comms per map into three types of channel- strategic, general banter and guild/role specific. Maybe something like:

- wvw (possibly global cross-map strategic)
    - red map (strategic)
    - general banter
    - guild X specific
    - guild Y specific
    - ninjas
    - etc
    - blue map (strategic)
    - etc

So everyone/commanders can shout reports into the top-level strat channel which everyone hears, general community chat goes in it's own channel and guilds or roles can do their own thing in parallel with only strategic as the shared channel. Anyway we'll see what goes down.
    Last edited by Quine; 19-02-2013 at 12:50 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    that seems like a really good idea Quine.

Posted these in the nonsense thread, but relevant for wvw too:

-- Orange swords in WvW won't show if there are less than ~25 people after February's update
    -- Modifications to the commander book are coming

The orange swords modification actually sounds like a great way of putting smaller groups at more of an advantage.
    Last edited by jha4ceb; 20-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    -- Orange swords in WvW won't show if there are less than ~25 people after February's update
    Having got up at 5am this morning, I initially thought this meant actually orange swords, not on the map, orange bows or hammers would still render perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Posted these in the nonsense thread, but relevant for wvw too:

-- Modifications to the commander book are coming

The orange swords modification actually sounds like a great way of putting smaller groups at more of an advantage.
    I actually think that the opposite would happen, as any defenders would have to scramble to a keep if any swords appeared just in case. It means that it would be really easy to drag people all over the map.
    How often to 25 people attack a keep at the same time? They wouldn't all be hitting the wall anyway, so how would they get counted?

Well, I don't know how it will work, but it won't be all 25 attacking a single target.

Anyway, my thought was that this will encourage servers not to zerg so much. We've certainly seen lots of 25+ groups of FSP, AM and AG recently.

Call me cynical but I think that if you're zerging then you probably don't care too much if there are orange swords or not.
    I have another point about why it would be a bad idea for servers like our, but I'll keep it for a closed forum.

Having said that, since it's going to happen anyway, I hope you're right.

Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

New event up.

While I do want for us to operate as a guild group - I'm thinking of also having representation on the community Mumble simultaneously so we can coordinate if necessary - as per Ice's recommendations and what NOX do. However, I don't think they'll be a huge amount of people in the community Mumble in EB to coordinate with anyway - and I don't want to take more people away from the Borderlands unnecessarily.
    Guild Wars 2:

Network Hub
    Ooh new event! I can probably make that- although all our enemies will be prewarned what with this being a public forum and stuff. I really hope we're not up against the dull zergs of FSP for another week, though.

This 25+ orange swords thing is a terrible idea as far as the lower/smaller tier servers are concerned where 25 people is a zerg. White swords on your garrison? It could be some tedious thief constantly tagging it or a sizeable force building two sets of rams on your gates and taking you down so you'd better devote scarce manpower to sentry duty all over the map if you don't want to lose your stuff.

We've lost keeps due to not paying attention to white swords before, so if it disciplines us to start paying more attention to them, all the better.

But I agree that 25 is too large a number. I think 15 would be more appropriate.

there is an upcoming event being talked about here:
    Upcoming Event

If there is enough interest, I suggest that we put an RPS group together for it?

I might join the Zerg for a while, but since I'll be doing WvW with Duke tomorrow, I'd rather not spend too much time with stressful WvW point chasing.

Network Hub
    Well that was another bedtime stomping by the massed zergs of the other sides combined. However we just retook our garrison although we ended up busting through both sides at once due to lack of communications...
    Last edited by Quine; 23-02-2013 at 03:25 AM.

To me, last night was quite the experience. Prior to reset, it had everything that enjoy about WvWvW - being able to join and serve under a competent commander and then to step up to co-command once comfortable on the map. Things went smoothly, we had good momentum (despite there being times when our entire Borderlands was red) and we were able to splice in a bit of fun what with the fireworks and doylak disguises.

After reset... well... yeah. I made some strange calls - like not listening to Calab with retreating when AM hit Arah's Hope after we took it and building defences at Longview although they never came for it. On the other hand, our lot were the only ones communicating in /T. It would have even been useful to know what other groups on the map were at least focusing on at the start of the reset, not 45 minutes in.

Buuuut it was reset night, so I kinda did expect for us to lose places. We'll see how my event goes tonight.
    Guild Wars 2: