Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: WvW happenings

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Daytime coverage reached a nadir this morning as we ticked at zero for quite a while between 7am and 9am. (We've been below +100 all morning).

Come mid-July, my working hours become a bit more flexible for the summer. I'm thinking of starting a regular small morning group, running for an hour or so from 8am-ish BST, if we can get some numbers together (either amongst RPS or the community more broadly). We have some time to think about this, as it's still four or five weeks before I can start organising this.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Hmm early morning sounds . . . interesting. On the one hand being in CAT (GMT+2 without Daylight Savings) means that even with my only waking up at 8am I could possibly do some WvW. On the other hand morning and I have the same relationship as Garfield and Mondays.

Network Hub
    Mornings are when players can make the most difference for us and a few more people would really help. I'm incapable of more than foraging for coffee at that time of day and generally at work, otherwise I'd be there. I hear [MM]drkn has been doing good work assuming the role of WVW commander to direct our limited forces to best effect around then and there are some good fights to be had.

It's a shame our strong start with a healthy second place over the weekend and lots of good wins has run out of steam as our famously variable forces have all disappeared and we're getting PVDoored all the time. I hear we have the best potential ranking change but that doesn't feel much like victory, but when we've had a halfway even fight it's been glorious so not a terrible week overall.

The discrepancy between our weekend performance and our weekday performance this week has been as bad as I can remember seeing on GH. It's at the level of what we normally expect from German servers.

Yeah, plus we're dealing with Dragon Bash innit. Most WvWvWers are busy betting on moas.

Still, there is this.
    Last edited by Krathor; 13-06-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

In fairness, our showing is much more robust this morning: ticking equal with Surmia at 9am is no meat feat.

Network Hub
    Might want to not link directly to private threads with times and dates in the link. Just in case people actually read these forums.

Good point yeah - didn't spot that.

Although at the moment I don't think that any event of ours can encourage an even bigger turn-out by our enemies. Still, if it goes well then it may just push us into second place.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Looks like yet again a Thursday event has kicked off a great end to the week. Was looking tough to even get the manpower to start it at first, as we had such a huge amount of Millers in our BL but we managed to repeatedly wipe them without losing any keeps (just) until they quit. Then the big push on Surmia, where we have eventually taken nearly everything they own, bar their home BL garrison.

The Russian players have apparently quit Surmia for Seafarers, so their night and morning presence has taken a big hit. Good for us
    Last edited by sendmark; 14-06-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Network Hub
    I was draining my local's supply but made it back in time for some action and the turnout was impressive.

We eventually got RoS out of their garrison and took their last 3 camps. Second place is currently a few ticks away and the fight for second place could be very close at the end, unless RoS exert themselves strenuously tomorrow morning.

gw027.jpg
    Last edited by Quine; 14-06-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Looks like we were hit hard overnight -- barely ticking above 50 for a few hours. So now we're back where we started at about 8pm last night

But if we can give them a kicking today, second place might still be ours...

Unfortunately for us still some Surmia nightcappers - and even worse Millers focussing us completely. Turns out their commanders worked out from MOS that us finishing 2nd costs them 10k more rating points than Surmia finishing 2nd, so it's been in their interests to keep attacking us and make sure we end up in 3rd.

So bearing that in mind, we've done well this week. Could do with a more even matchup though, Riverside-Piken and now this.

"Worked out" is putting it loosely, since that's complete bullshit. As I commented on the GH forums, the ordinal ranking of GH and RoS (2nd/3rd) makes no difference whatsoever to the change in MS's server rating. It's all down to the relative points score. Whatever happens, it will be a close finish, so a few thousand points either way will making only a vanishingly small difference to MS's rating.

Network Hub
    Given that MS- who are (rank 13)- targeted us (rank 20) for most of the match we've come out of it well. We won most of the actual fights at prime time when the numbers were anywhere near even, and wiped a lot of larger enemy forces besides. We also worked well to achieve an objective with surprising results. Nightcapping and unbalanced fights aren't anything new, and our rating boost is the highest in the match at current scores.

I hope next match is a bit less unbalanced. Might be a few weeks before they scale the random factor down a bit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    "Worked out" is putting it loosely, since that's complete bullshit. As I commented on the GH forums, the ordinal ranking of GH and RoS (2nd/3rd) makes no difference whatsoever to the change in MS's server rating. It's all down to the relative points score. Whatever happens, it will be a close finish, so a few thousand points either way will making only a vanishingly small difference to MS's rating.
    Sure, but this is what one of their commanders claimed to drkn. Maybe lying or just wrong, but the evidence of the map was pretty damning as well.

Indeed, I'm sure they thought they'd come up with a good reason, but it was pretty poor

Interesting reset so far against Arborstone and Dzag. We had a very strong start, but since then it's been more even. Big numbers on our borderlands, especially of the French.

Guild Wars 2:

If anyone hasn't seen the Aborstone [Tz] led zerg this week, I highly recommend it. It makes the Riverside zergs look small and illdisciplined. Can see the Vizunah influence very clearly in their playstyle, get everyone on the map on the commander and move fast between objectives. 70 players just rolling over everything.

We're lucky they don't have the players to cover EB and Borderlands together, also they tend log off in the evening before most of our players, so we're able to stomp them pretty hard then.

Network Hub
    The AS zergs I've seen this week haven't been all that effective, on our map at least. Last night they sent an enormous mass over to try and take our Hills- must have been over 50 of them at least- and we pulled SOE and a few other guild groups back to our map to try and block them. That turned into an insane fight around the SE camp as they charged us, wiped, and immediately respawned and charged us en masse many times over. After a lot of wipes they decided to go elsewhere and left us surrounded by lootbags.

If they ever learned to fight properly and run more than just glass cannon ranger builds they might be more effective, but right now they're some of the worst players I've seen when it comes to actual fighting. They do stack up well, but that's not much of a good thing once their retaliation runs out and you're pounding them with AOE.

It was pretty close that fight tbh, luckily managed to secure the higher ground and grind a lot of them down at a chokepoint. They also didn't want to stick around as they were busy dominating Dzag borderland, including a Bay they have been waypointing pretty much daily. Although Arborstone do have a lot of pug players, the core of their main zerg is a 30 player guild group from TZ, who are pretty decent. If this isn't a one-off week, I can see Arborstone beating up WSR and RoF. I'd also love to see the reaction of Surmia to that big zerg to think they complained about 'blobs' when it was groups half that size.

Got about 180 badges of honor with SOE last night though, and that doesn't include all the lootbags we couldn't stop to pick up. Zergwars can be profitable