Page 30 of 58 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: WvW happenings

Sure Saph, no question about it, just saying. Also: Transmutation Crystals.

Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Looks like the days of the GH mumble are numbered: motions are afoot to move to TeamSpeak; mainly to placate some of the guilds, it seems.

http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/threads/1...-resolve/page4
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bah, tried team speak with my old guild and couldn't get it to work on my pc...
    EDIT: however looking at the ranting on the forums, I'm sure I can get it to behave. Whatever works for the community.

Aiming to play a lot more WvW nowadays - swapped from my Ele to my necro as my WvW character and having a whale of a time with fears and conditions, though obviously shafted by the WvW xp character bound thing...
    Last edited by Xanadu; 10-09-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Sounds a bit counter intuitive.

But then I don't know how good TS is nowadays, it used to be a major thorn in my side a number of years ago and that's left a fairly sour taste.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Looks like the days of the GH mumble are numbered: motions are afoot to move to TeamSpeak; mainly to placate some of the guilds, it seems.

http://www.gunnars-hold.eu/threads/1...-resolve/page4
    its a much of the sameness tbh, I've used both in the past.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Aren't... TS and Mumble almost identical?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    Aren't... TS and Mumble almost identical?
    Yep, but some people are convinced that TS gets better quality / breaks down less. Really they're identical except a couple of buttons and options in TS (which you can get plugins for mumble to add).
    Right now its just HT trying to push it on the server because they prefer TS.

Meh... I use both and really dont care anyway. It's just mumble is easier to addon / mod because it's open source.

Well, apparently HT and FRS are so attached to teamspeak that they refuse to join us on Mumble. Or something. So we're placating them for fear of losing them, ending up in the bronze league, and thus losing all our other good guilds.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    When is the cut off for deciding which league we end up in? We're looking well placed atm in 15, be hard to drop 4 places unless we lose a lot of key people?
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Whatever works for the community I guess. As stated in the linked thread, people just have to realise that we still run the risk of losing some big guilds at another time and therefore should decide if we are ok with having TS as our community voicechat or not. Apparently there isn't that much of a difference between the programs so it boils down to poor Visko having to adapt the forum software to fit the community's needs. Seriously, that guy doesn't get enough praise for his work.

Network Hub
    It's a sad day when the server makes such big changes for fear of ending up in the bronze league and losing fairweather win-at-all-costs players. I'm not hopeful for WvW surviving much more meddling by Anet to 'fix' things right now.

Well, it wouldn't be so much win-at-all-costs players as those who want to avoid facing FoW, WSR and Vabbi every week -- which is fair enough, since those matches are pretty boring.

I'm just seconding what Ice said.

Trying to placate some guilds is really just pointless. They will find other things to bitch about so that the community can tend to their ego, and as soon as the grass is greener elsewhere they will sod off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by Karuji View Post
    and as soon as the grass is greener elsewhere they will sod off.
    which as we all know it rarely is...
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Network Hub
    GH always used to be more about the players than where we were in the rankings, but the panic at possibly losing our night/morning guilds as the league approaches has been sad to see.

But then the new league really looks like a sneaky return to tiers under a new name. If it causes a load of people jumping ship to try and maximise their funtimes we'll have months of crap to wade through again.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    larger tiers where you have to play everyone rather than the same 2 over and over again, I don't think it's a bad idea to be fair; it might give people something to aim for.

I've pretty much blocked out the politics for the community forum; I'll jump on mumble if there is a commander tagged up who I know uses the community forums but that's about it.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Indeed, Hawks.

It is quite ironic that I am unable to attend our weekly WvW event this evening but I am in a position to post about the state of it on Gunnar's Hold. Thus far in this thread I have remained silent on the issue and not contributed to the 'Mumble or TS?' thread on the server community forum.

Why? Well because I don't think it's actually much of a big deal.

On the VoIP topic, I obviously think it'd be better if Gunnar's stuck with Mumble. But this is purely because we as [RPS] use Mumble - and not only for our guild, but other RPS communities use Mumble servers too. It's a ball ache just to install TS for the sake of the server. I have used both programs in the past and I don't find that much of a difference. Mumble is slightly harder to set up and looks a bit shitter without a skin... but generally there's not a whole lot between them.

Now, the motive behind moving over to TS is a little bit of a contentious issue. One of my main problems with Gunnar's is the obsession to get people 'in' the community, as if it was some sort of great congregation that everyone should be a part of. And if you're not on the forum or on the same comms, then you're not in the community!

I can't speak for everyone but I have commanded a few times in parallel with [HT] and, so long as you know how to gently caress them in the right way, they are fine to work with. They've actually saved our arses a few times at reset and I am happy to coordinate with them through text chat. Why do we have to be on VoIP with them? A part of me actually thinks they'll order other guilds around like they're field marshals - if you happen to be on the same map and in the same channel. The segregation of voice servers could actually be serving as a boon to the community.

And in regards to the league position - who cares? Who cares if people leave, or new people join? I remember when a shit tonne of WvWers left us late last year and earlier this year. Folks whined a bit at the time, but we recovered. The people who are loyal to Gunnar's will stick with Gunnar's and won't wave around threats of leaving. If those people feel obligated to stay because everyone moves over to, say, their voice comms server - then that doesn't really accomplish a lot. It doesn't please anyone eventually - it's just some weak appeasement.

I don't care if we end up in bronze or silver league. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'll stick with [RPS] regardless of what Gunnar's Hold decide to do.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

People seem to think that it doesn't matter whether we end up in bronze or silver league. It does matter. Our matches against WSR and Arborstone and the like are *boring*. We cap everything at all times of day and we don't get good fights. If we are in bronze league, we get seven weeks of that. It's not about coveting a certain ranking; it's about maximising our potential fun in WvW. Taking a few measures to avoid those boring walkover matchups is really not that bad.

Perhaps - but what if we enter silver league and spend four out of the seven weeks getting curbstomped?
    Guild Wars 2: