Page 42 of 60 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: WvW happenings

I wouldn't worry too much about the rankings, really. Getting crushed by superior numbers - or should I say superior coverage - isn't a whole lot of fun but that's nothing new. Therefore I can even understand guilds that are looking for "good" fights since that's the thing that is interesting to them in an uneven match-up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    And don't forget Cheeky's WvW event at 7pm today, folks.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Great night tonight in WvW. It was funny because I came in from a decent dinner out half-steaming and I struck up a conversation with [MM]'s Donye in Lion's Arch just because he had happened to be there at the time. That's how we ended up being invited to their open raid taking place an hour later which was... well... tremendously successful.

It was one of those nights where doing a report is completely redundant because it would just be 'cap, cap, smash enemy zerg, cap, cap'. Glorious though and not hardly as boring as that makes out.

Really positive turnout from [RPS] - very proud.

Please note that we can possibly attend this tomorrow afternoon if you guys are up for it for a few hours.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Network Hub
    Dang, hope there will be more during the week! Can't make this one :/
    GW2: Eknurr (Lvl 80 Engi), Elaina Mischievous (Lvl 80 Ranger), Neeaha (Lvl 80 Mesmer), Bald Carl (Lvl 80 Guardian)

Last night was fun! Can't remember the last time we capped so much in quick succession. Was like the old days in tier 8 when numbers were smaller on all sides...

That were reet good that wor.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Network Hub
    Been a good matchup this week. There were loads of close fights and we rolled a good number of hopeless enemy blobs, communication across the server was generally very good and people have actually been fortifying and watching our stuff.

To the surprise of no-one FSP pulled an all-nighter and made it to first place at the end. Our stuff is all downgraded and theirs is all T3 so I don't rate our chances. Even so it's been very close and good fun all round.

I wonder what horrors the matching system will throw at us next? Piken/Vizunah?

Possibly the greatest week to be on Gunnar's ever. I can't remember us being this coordinated except perhaps like a year ago, when we had half the prime time population we do now.

FSP will win, although while writing this post our tick jumped from +95 to +165 - FSP's still stayed at +300. Good effort by all mind.
    Guild Wars 2:

Network Hub
    My hopes for slightly more evenly-populated opponents lead to- Jade Sea and Aurora Glade!

The last time we faced JS was over a year ago when WVW was still in daily matches and all I remember is an enormous cloud of red names swarming the map as a massive zerg. They were the first guys to properly use trebs from StoneMist which was new at the time. From what I saw last night they haven't changed much, but they run faster than even Baruch Bay when they don't have a 3x numbers advantage.

Reset was quite tough on our BL as we got hit by full map blobs eventually converging on our garrison, but we were ticking first by about midnight and seem to be in first place right now. I'd be very surprised if we made first this week due to server populations, but then I thought that the last two matches and they were close.

It's an interesting question as to how much higher we want to go in the rankings as we face increasingly large and 24-hour coverage servers, and there's not much enthusiasm to end up in gold league if the league matches start again soon. I think things will get a lot harder when normal service is resumed in the new year at this level. Either way there have been some brilliant fights and sieges going on over xmas and we can be proud of the way we've handled the larger enemy forces.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    don't worry unnecessarily, we went from 8th in the silver league to world beaters in a week, I think this may have something to do with our opponents taking breaks rather than us just becoming amazing.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

Guild Wars 2:

Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    don't worry unnecessarily, we went from 8th in the silver league to world beaters in a week, I think this may have something to do with our opponents taking breaks rather than us just becoming amazing.
    Indeed, our on-season vs. off-season performance difference is quite striking. We do have some new guilds though, right? We seem to be doing especially well off-peak recently.

I hope we don't end up having to throw matches to stay in silver league. (Never thought I'd have to type that.)

Network Hub
    I worry that everyone is throwing matches to avoid gold league.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    And if that is the case then the league format is just unworkable in its current form
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Indeed. It's difficult to distinguish between (a) genuine changes in balance of power, (b) some servers taking a break from serious raiding after a tiring season, and (c) intentional match throwing. But we now have 9 servers covered by only 90 ranking points from 7th to 15th, and none of them (presumably) wants to end up in the top three of those spots when the new season begins. It's a bit of a silly situation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Indeed. It's difficult to distinguish between (a) genuine changes in balance of power, (b) some servers taking a break from serious raiding after a tiring season, and (c) intentional match throwing. But we now have 9 servers covered by only 90 ranking points from 7th to 15th, and none of them (presumably) wants to end up in the top three of those spots when the new season begins. It's a bit of a silly situation.
    perhaps better incentives needed to be in the top flight? or what that then steal players from other servers - though that is then more gems back into anets coffers so...
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Network Hub
    Leagues will be a failure as long as population/coverage imbalances are as large as they are. As Anet are unlikely to address this issue effectively beyond maybe a few transfer discounts any fiddling with other incentives will just lead to another spiral of unintended consequences. It looks like the WVW matchup section of their forum is getting pulled due to the increased acrimony over servers like Blackgate buying their way to the top of the NA league, so imagine what fireworks a second league season will lead to.

Amazing that we're still in the lead this week. JS are terrible players but they can pull huge numbers when they want to and if they started to use them more effectively than a single blob capping camps(!) they could easily have won this. I'm still waiting for AG to reveal the other half of their WVW population and score some points, and normal service to generally be resumed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Might we also have a bit of burn out with some of the servers who know doubt whipped their guys into whirling dervishes for the league and now some can't be arsed any more or at least no where near as regularly?
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    also true, also our off-peak has improved which means that we can keep some of our keeps prior to primetime.
    other than that, stomping (the borderland bloodlust) has been a huge success on our server.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

Network Hub
    Yeah the people who actually thought the league rewards would be something epic worked ridiculous hours to get their scores up, so the end of the league saw a definite change in effort on top of the xmas break. Also our night presence has been strong recently with people like SLAY regularly leading effective campaigns until the morning.

Whenever JS mount a big 50-man zerg karma train on our maps we end up maintaining/gaining our point lead despite their higher tick just because of stomps. I hope we can play them more often.