Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: WvW happenings

Network Hub
    Oh yes I had word that Reddit are going to Aurora Glade, IIRC. The reason was something along the lines of "the scouts really liked us as a server but the guild wanted to move quickly and the hardcore WVW players didn't want a low population server that would have to be built up over time" or something similar. I'm sure there's multiple levels of irony going on in there somewhere.

Anyway the Rddt guys I met were a nice bunch and knew their stuff. The enemy Rddt guys tended to get cut down fleeing inferior numbers so it's probably swings and roundabouts.

I just realised that I had not read some posts on the last page of this thread last time I posted (see above). Zpinget, you seem really concerned about the future of our server community. May I ask if you were around yesterday night for the mumble meeting? Sorry, I didn't check who was or wasn't in the channel. Most of the points you mentioned in your last few posts, degeneration into a zerg-mindset, as well as "forced" ascend in tiers were discussed and I went out of the meeting with a slightly more optimistic feeling than last week.

In case you weren't there (and for everyone else who might be interested), the reddit guild won't be joining Gunnar's Hold. I guess everyone has his own thoughts/reaction to this. Personally, I cannot judge them as I haven't met a lot of their players in WvW. Then, there was a pretty honest and open discussion about impressions and expectations of both the standing GH community and the newcomers (i.e., Xaoc). Jess was a great moderator during the meeting and everyone could speak their mind. I think that both sides need a bit of time to get accustomed to each other and actually play alongside players from the now fellow guilds. I'll certainly try to get to know them a bit better and I also hope that they'll get accepted into our community as easily as other guilds before them. At the moment I still feel like some people see them as a kind of invader, which is a view I neither share nor like - they are part of our community.

Most interestingly, Khorne mentioned that their aim was not to rise through the tiers as high as possible, but to find the right spot where the majority of the community feels comfortable and I think that reflects our general attitude towards WvW rather well. Let's see where the next few match-ups take us.
    Last edited by Squiz; 22-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Network Hub
    I wasn't around for the introductory meetings with Xaoc, but I think people made it clear that we weren't desperate for numbers to power us to tier 1 and were more interested in fun balanced matches, so they were aware of our preferences when they decided to move over. I think they're on something like GMT+4 so they will tend to drop off around 8PM UK time and some of them put a few hours in around 6AM their time. Last night WSR hit us hard at about 8PM and there were few Xaoc around by then.

I agree with those worried that things are changing, but to be honest everything will change in the tier balance at the end of the month when free transfers end. If Xaoc end up being a rolling zerg it will be no different than when we had KISS roaming the maps, probably. Also Khorne said they were planning to do some PVE events to clear Orr soon, which sounds like a good idea.

Activated Node
    Looks like the mods spat my rant out again

Wasn't there last night; I play for fun, not to sit in meetings (another part of my decision not to push for commander's tag), glad it cheered you up a bit

Now for the Pzinget WvWvW Forecast... Let me just clear the snow off of my crystal ball:

1) I think we're going to see a repeat of the current pattern when we move up tiers: fair-weather guilds push off once we start getting stomped, drop a couple of tiers, core teams remain, organise and push, big influx of fair-weather guilds, rinse, repeat. Paid server moves aren't going to be as much as I thought and look easily affordable for anyone with 5g in game or a spare 5 of non-pixilated money, so whilst that may help even things out for a bit, it's not going to provide the deterrent that people seem to think it will, especially if big guilds are motivated to help poorer members make the shift.

2) We may be due for some internal drama. Big personalities are the crystallisation point for any MMORPG and when one of them gets p'd off or has a real life event which gets in the way, things get flakey. Without intervention, they can crumble. We've got a lot of big personalities on this server and I've seen a few minor clashes already. A big one probably isn't too far off; we should probably be prepared for a blow-up.

3) Reddit moving elsewhere gets a big fat "meh". Or maybe an upvote. Haven't decided, don't really care. XaoC are pretty cool, if we are going up in he world we might as well have the numbers to stay there for a bit.

4) I adored running around on Saturday, doing daft quests, popping tonics and rolling into WvW without a care or an aim. I particularly enjoyed pulling the zerg of 40 down on your heads With all the organisational structure that's springing up, it may be hard from time to time to keep the fun. RPS is full of awesome peeps to have a laugh with; let's make sure it stays this way and doesn't get all serious.

*looks mysterious, jangles bracelets, crosses palm with silver*
    Tell your fortune, dearie?

Activated Node
    Gah! Response eaten... Just wait, it's a good-un

Hello folks! Due to work I have been playing at quite odd times this week, but not to worry!

I was still at work when the meeting took place on Monday. I won't lie and say that I'm disappointed with the outcome of the decisions made by outside guilds, but hey ho.

I will say that our night cover has improved drastically into the early mornings. Xaoc will of course helped with that, but the evolution of [GN] seemed to have contributed towards it too. All's well this week and I will probably organise another event for Saturday night.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Network Hub
    I think RoF have given up for the week, but our night coverage is pretty thin as well. WSR are making the most of this and zerging round with walking siege capping stuff. We're not likely to lost or anything but it's a shame after the good coverage recently. Let's hope the next match is more of challenge and we get the numbers up.

Thanks for the link!

Remember that people still need to register and apply for group membership on the page to be able to see that thread. What the linked post basically says is that there will be a WvW training/introductory session that anyone can partake in. No requirements whatsoever - level, class, experience all don't matter.

Network Hub
    Just remembered that I'm busy on Friday, which is a shame as it sounds like a fun event.

Pzinget there was lots of silliness after you left last night. Svartacus seemed well refreshed by the time I turned up for that doomed defence of Hills, and he was determined to drive the last surplus golem we had on the map back round to Hills and retake it. Then Jess turned up and our small crew (~8 people, no mesmers) very slowly walked it across the map while a game of TV theme tune trivia (with singing) was in progress.

Despite getting spotted several times and a running battle along the way we got the outer gate down and were on the north inner before a large 3-way fight ensued and we wiped. I don't think the other side realise most of our guys we're pretty thrashed by then and we went down fighting with Svart making golem attack noises and general bad renditions of the theme tune to Cagney and Lacey and the like.

Activated Node
    Sounds good! I'll see if Jess wants to collaborate on a quiz at some point (and did he put up his mirror?!) Alas, us old ladies fall asleeps very early.

I really, really enjoyed the doomed Hills defence! Think we did very well for about 10 of us

Network Hub
    He did say he'd got something up and sounded very pleased with himself. I doubt it will last, though.

We've had some great defences of Hills before- I think out record was holding out vs Dzagonur for over 15 minutes with 1/5th their numbers. Portals tend to ruin our fun there these days.

Looks like the enemy have done the usual and staged big zerg rushes late at night when our forces are low and we've lost some big upgraded forts. Next match had better be more interesting.

gg

wvw_boring.jpg

Winston Moriarty

Tomorrow night we get a new match-up which will without doubt be more challenging. Have a little patience.

This reset marks the first time I've been up against 2 servers I've never played before. Hurray!
    Guild Wars 2:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    It can't come soon enough. Got my mesmer to 80, specced up for confusions and condition damage, and can't wait to flatten a zerg or two with him!
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Activated Node
    What d'you want to do for reset? Little squad doing some distraction and camp-flipping or run with the zerg herd?

Hi all,

I popped my head into WvW for the first time ever last night, and had a blast trying to work it all out. I spent many minutes whaling on a door with my illusion buddies and then split off to go intercept some dolyaks with a little team - I saw Lippsy in that group which is a name I recognise from the forums. Good stuff.

I've got my eyes on a certain piece of Invader's armour and noticed that it will cost me 250 badges of honour - how long can I expect to play WvW for in order to achieve that?

Not that I'm just here to complete my outfit - I'll definitely be jumping into the fight more often now.

As an aside, I've seen Xaoc promoting a lot of activities in map chat such as Orr temple clears. They seem really community minded, at least right now, and it's good to see events like this going on.

Lately I have been getting about 60-100 badges an evening. So it should not take you too long

Quote Originally Posted by Lippsy View Post
    Lately I have been getting about 60-100 badges an evening. So it should not take you too long
    I think you'll have to adjust those numbers a bit for the next weeks. The last few days can be pretty much summed up with "Gunnar's Hold Badge Farming Celebrations". But if you do the jumping puzzles on a daily basis and kill a few invaders in between, you should be fine within a week or so.