Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The timing is indeed unfortunate. The film's failings are more attributable to the Dredd character than the film itself; it's hard to do anything but a by-the-numbers action movie without introducing Mega-City One's more colorful characters, and in keeping the narrative grounded in "a day in the life" they denied themselves that opportunity. There's a good Dredd movie waiting to be made, but they're going to have to figure out the appeal of the comic as a whole rather than this narrow-minded focus on the one-note Dredd. If the DVD sales are enough to elevate it (and it is doing rather remarkably in the home market, much like Hellboy before it) I'd certainly watch the sequel.

Its the movie version of the comic strip Judge Dredd, from the British comic 2000AD. It is the second movie version made. The first film made was the awful Sylvestar Stallone film. This film is far more faithful to the source material. In other words very violent, very dark. karl Urban plays Judge Dredd, a policeman in 22nd Century Mega City One, a vast city covering the east coast of the USA. It has had very good reviews and is the first film of a planned trilogy. The other two films are going to cover the reign of the evil Chief Judge Cal, with the final film introducing everyones favourite bad guys, the Dark Judges Death, Fire, Mortis and Fear. I cant wait to see this film as Ive been reading the comic 2000AD since the late 70s.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Can't understand how can people like this movie so much,it basically screamed medicority.

You didn't watch it. Stop talking about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    You didn't watch it. Stop talking about it.

First time yes,then i forced myself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I haven't seen it because it doesn't seem to have a release over here, but most of my friends (and many review sites) seem to think it was the best superhero/comicbook/action movie of last year. (with the possible exception of The Raid).

It's a shame that it doesn't seem to have done anything in the cinemas, so the planned two sequels seem unlikely. But on the other hand the word of mouth is excellent, so the hope is that it'll make enough on dvd/blueray for them to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    First time yes,then i forced myself.
    And you still have nothing of value to add? Pity.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I haven't seen it because it doesn't seem to have a release over here, but most of my friends (and many review sites) seem to think it was the best superhero/comicbook/action movie of last year. (with the possible exception of The Raid).
    Chronicle fulfills your first requirement, Avengers your second and Skyfall your third. Dredd is only notable as a standout in a microcosm of a genre known for being relentlessly awful, and only then because it embraces its own B-movie status.
    Last edited by sabrage; 26-01-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I remember now that the main reason I ended up not seeing it was the fact that my local was showing it only in the 3D form, which I normally avoid, with the odd exception. I would imagine that might have put quite a lot of people off seeing it in the cinema and might be why it seems to be thriving on DVD/Blu-Ray. I'll likely add it to my LoveFilm list.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    And you still have nothing of value to add? Pity.

Chronicle fulfills your first requirement, Avengers your second and Skyfall your third. Dredd is only notable as a standout in a microcosm of a genre known for being relentlessly awful, and only then because it embraces its own B-movie status.
    Chronicle was surprisingly great. Pity they insisted on going with the found footage motif, which has gone far beyond running its course. It did do some quite nice stuff with it though (floating the camera around the room, the flying sequences.)

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    This is one movie that benefits from lowered expectations. I didn't expect much from it at all, and it was surprisingly above average. The plot is more or less the same as the Raid (and the action is nowhere as good), but it had a few nice touches, character moments, and other flourishes that elevate it beyond your typical comic book action movie.

Plus, there was little CGI. I kind of liked how it could more or less have been made in 1989 and it would look the same. It's definitely a bit of a throwback.