Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heavy-handed auto-moderation - A way to exempt subscribers?

Hi,I've had a new thread 'swallowed' by auto-moderation in the PC Gaming Discussion forum. I have no idea when (if?) it will emerge from the moderation process.I'm a subscriber of three years or so, without any record of 'naughty' behaviour. I didn't subscribe for any perks, but to support the site and get it off the ground. Now it's successful I'm happy to continue my subscription. Maybe you could find a way to exempt subscribers from the heavy handed auto moderation? Surely subscribers (and long-term members) have proved: i) they're not spam-bots, ii) they're not dicks* - and can be trusted to post.Thanks. Edgar*unless they've proved dickish.
    "We had to apologise for him with our set. They were still booing him when we were on" - David St Hubbins

Where the hell have my line breaks gone? [Chrome]
    "We had to apologise for him with our set. They were still booing him when we were on" - David St Hubbins

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar The Peaceful View Post
    Where the hell have my line breaks gone? [Chrome]
    They disappear if javascript isn't enabled.

Thanks Davkaus.

Mods or Hivemind - any comment on the main issue, please?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Mods do not usually have time to check every single thread, so I think you are better off PMing them personally.
    Also - I am quite sure there is not a real way to link paypall donations with the forum software easily...

I just had a fairly involved post flagged for auto-moderation as well. No reason was given why. I don't quite understand the point. It was mostly opinion, but clearly not spam. The flagging seemed to be done almost at random. Is there a method to your auto-mods madness? Or can I ever expect that post will see light of day?

Honestly, auto-flagging seems like a terrible idea to me. Since it randomly cuts people out of the conversation. That's just my feeling on it, though.

I believe (but don't quote me on it) that until you have a sufficient post count (not sure on the number, I would guess 30-50) it auto-moderates large posts, this has cut down on a large amount of spam. My advice is to either keep posts short for now, or break your post into several smaller ones, either way, copy your post to a notepad file or something and then if it does get eaten, you haven't lost it.

I realise that some measures on this site may seem a trifle draconic on new users, but it seems a small price to pay to get rid of the wall of spam that we used to put up with. No, I'm not connected with the moderation process or an apologist for heavy-handed moderation, I just hate having to click through phishing posts and adverts for crap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    For a long time first time posters would pop up in threads with massive spam posts about tv shows and links to supposedly watch them online. I'd imagine this is a way to combat that.

It's not very well thought out though as now we get as many threads and posts about "where is my post gone" and "when can I make threads" as we did for television shows.

Well, obviously it's not my decision to make. But I feel it is just a bit draconian and I can see how some users might be intimidated by it, to the point they choose not to post here. Whether or not that's a good thing is an exercise for the observer, I suppose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    This is coming up a lot in the Planetside 2 sub forum.

I think it may be because it's attracted a lot of new users, if Feldspar's comment about needing a certain number of posts before longer posts can be made.

I don't think there's a need to get rid of this, if it is working to keep us spam free, but maybe change the warning?

Change:
    "Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

To
    Your post has triggered our anti-spam filters. It will need to be approved by a moderator (which may take some time). Please use shorter posts by breaking longer messages up and reduce the number of links you use
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Ill talk to Jim about it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Aware of the issue.

I need to take another look at how spam is handled on here. Will try to get to that next week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Remember folks, you can all contribute to the war effort by killing any spammers you meet. It's more effective if it's incredibly cruel and painful.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Remember folks, you can all contribute to the war effort by killing any spammers you meet. It's more effective if it's incredibly cruel and painful.
    So long as you don't use guns.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar The Peaceful View Post
    Maybe you could find a way to exempt subscribers from the heavy handed auto moderation?
    Sounds like Pay2Post. What next? Microtransactions for formatting, or including images?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Sounds like Pay2Post. What next? Microtransactions for formatting, or including images?
    Hey, I already pay a subscription.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Just got flagged by this again, and it was only a single paragraph and a quote of a single paragraph...

Forgive my being jumpy about that, but I have not exactly had good experience with moderators on other sites who seem to make up the rules as they go. It has left me a bit paranoid about that sort of thing.

I'm gonna make one of those "Scumbag Steve" type-memes about it and upload it to memegenerator when I find enough energy to give to bother fighting with a generic freeware photoshop prog.

Ill pass it on.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

We're working on new anti-spam stuff at the moment. Once that's done we should be able to relax some of the current controls. Sorry for this taking a while, we got a lot on this year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    The spam was getting really annoying, so I appreciate that steps have been taken to reduce it. Even if it frustrates some posters (who only have to wait, nothing was deleted) it's still a good thing.