Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Halo's AI is pretty solid, although a lot of the time it boils down to just side-stepping every once in a while :-/

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    The STALKER AI seems to have a multiple personality disorder. Sometimes it can be quite intelligent: while hiding in a tunnel (more like a drain I guess) I've had enemies stay out of my line of sight and throw grenades in after me; then other times I can just sit in the corner of a room, and shoot enemies in the face as they funnel themselves in through the one entrance.

Also one instance in Ninja Gaiden Black, for the Xbox, where you are fighting against your doppelganger. Surprisingly, for a hack and slash game, it felt like I was fighting against another human player. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLDdLXZ8HQw

I think the AI in Bioshock was pretty decent. Set splicers on fire, they run to the nearest pool of water to douse themselves. Wounded splicers seek out healing stations.

One oddity occurred during my last playthrough in B2. I spotted two splicers at a good distance away, down a darkened hallway. I crouched, then took out one of them with my speargun - the male. Instead of immediately turning and coming after me, as they usually do, the female splicer sank to her knees and covered her face, rocking and crying over the body of the dead splicer. Man, I felt so bad after that. I was pretty amazed by what she did, too.
    "Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.

Network Hub
    Outcast probably had the best AI. They worked in teams, flanked, used cover (not sticky cover like in modern shooters, but real terrain), got in closer for the kill and further away when they were taking casualties. They shouted your name and waved to alert others to your presence. Sometimes they even ran away. As you progressed in the game you cut their supply lines and gained notoriety which made them run away much sooner. All in all they were the most 'organic' enemies I had ever faced in a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    The STALKER AI seems to have a multiple personality disorder. Sometimes it can be quite intelligent: while hiding in a tunnel (more like a drain I guess) I've had enemies stay out of my line of sight and throw grenades in after me; then other times I can just sit in the corner of a room, and shoot enemies in the face as they funnel themselves in through the one entrance.
    yeah. thats cool

some people are quite skilled and already experienced and some people are just morons and base their strategy on rambo movies.

one of the things which made stalker so awesome (bugs tough ruined it for me and i haven't touched it since 2008)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Half Life and Outcast are both good shouts that initially sprung to my mind (the non combatant AI in Outcast also deserves praise and was a big part of making the world seem alive).

Shooter wise I'd also remember SWAT 4 being particularly good, mostly because of the randomness of how the enemies would behave.

FEAR and the first FarCry are definitely the best in Shooters, in that order.

The FEAR AI was the only AI that really surprised me a few times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Bots for Command & Conquer: Red Alert multiplayer simulation (not the singleplayer). Seriously, I still dont figure out how to beat them. The only time I won was by editing a map to assign the enemies on an isolated island, and I was on the mainland with all the valuable resources. I played as Allied (if you remember, there are teams of Britain, France and Germany) and bombard the island like hell with cruisers, and overrun it with armored units like steamroller. That kind of victory is, of course, meaningless. So bots for Red Alert to me is unbeatable. I played MS-DOS version and I am not sure if there is any difference between DOS and Windows version.

I really like the diplomatic AI in Europa Universalis 3. I never feel frustrated or confused by it's decisions and I haven't yet seen it accept a proposal to it's disadvantage that it didn't need to accept.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    This is a really subjective topic, since your perception of a game's AI depends almost entirely on your grasp of a given game and/or genre. I think that Civ--as a series--has really good AI. I know that a lot of people loathe Civ V's AI, but I've found it pretty good. In one game, Suleiman declared war, moved one unit into my territory, saw my military strength, and then offered ridiculously good peace terms & retreated within the space of one turn, while in others AI factions have ruthlessly steamrolled me when I underestimated their capabilities; two extremes that together illustrate (to me) the AI's strength. NOTE: Firaxis has also added noticeable improvements with each and every patch, so please keep that in mind if you haven't played since launch.

I personally feel that Sins of a Solar Empire has good AI. I recently played a game for about 3 hours, only to instigate a vicious assault from a TEC faction that spammed torpedo ships to shred my defenses like paper. Completely and utterly devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    This is a really subjective topic, since your perception of a game's AI depends almost entirely on your grasp of a given game and/or genre.
    This is very true.

Context counts for a lot. Exceeding player's expectations of the AI's ability can matter a lot more than AI that - while technically accomplished - presents itself as predictable or "graspable".

So should programmers aim to make AI that outsmarts the immediate generation of gameplay? Or should they try to make computer opponents that are genuinely clever, even if that means risking a lacklustre appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    Context counts for a lot. Exceeding player's expectations of the AI's ability can matter a lot more than AI that - while technically accomplished - presents itself as predictable or "graspable".

So should programmers aim to make AI that outsmarts the immediate generation of gameplay? Or should they try to make computer opponents that are genuinely clever, even if that means risking a lacklustre appearance?
    I think it probably depends on what genre of game it is. I don't expect my strategy games to have breakthrough technology so I would be absolutely fine with sub-par graphics but an amazing AI taking up the rest of the development time. I'm not particularly concerned with graphics period.

Though I will say that I demand a great visual experience from the next Madden. I haven't bought one since 2009 and I think it's about time I upgrade my experience so I'm expecting the best of both worlds from EA considering the fact they're an evil large corporation with money to blow.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jp0249107 View Post
    I think it probably depends on what genre of game it is. I don't expect my strategy games to have breakthrough technology so I would be absolutely fine with sub-par graphics but an amazing AI taking up the rest of the development time. I'm not particularly concerned with graphics period.
    I don't think he meant graphics, in terms of appearance. Things can look stupid, but without knowing the logic behind how the computer tackles the situation it can still be pretty clever. If you've ever done a multiple choice test, you can make crazy leaps of logic which seem insanely clever to rule out answers, but ultimately if you get it wrong you look like a moron who just ticked the first box.

I would really like genuinely clever AI, rather than "immediate kind", simply because I suspect a truly clever AI can be tailored to nearly every game (and of course a robot rebellion and the destruction of human kind). Actually I changed my mind. Tailored AI, with tricks and algorithms to make me think its clever is easier, and 90% of the time will hold up to reasonable scrutiny. And I don't have to worry about Skynet.
    Last edited by Vague-rant; 07-08-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Anyone know the state of AI that play Go? For those that dont know, its a large board where one person puts down white stones, the other black. You try to capture territory. It has simple rules, but the trouble with making AI for it (While for something like chess they can more or less brute force it) is the sheer amount of possible moves to consider.
    We are very good at filtering some moves out (Though, of course, we might miss a hard to see intellegent move in doing this) but AI isnt. This would be relevant in games, where in CiV sending my second settler into the artic where Ill have useless terrtory is dismissed, the same move must be condiered by the AI, wasting processes. Add up all the useless moves, you will never have enough time.
    So, an AI with a filter, any news on that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    GLaDOS, without a doubt.

I've been playing a lot of SWAT 3 lately and, while the opposing AI isn't particularly bright, I've found that it's one of the few games where I don't have to babysit my teammates. I tell them to clear a room or hallway and it most likely gets done properly, something which rarely happens in other games where having companions is usually more trouble than it's worth (I'm looking at you FO3 & NV).

Either it's good AI, or I just have it set to far too easy.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Another thing that makes a big difference in the quality of AI is how dependent upon efficiency a game is. In many strategy titles, the AI can pose a real challenge for no other reason than because it possesses an inhuman awareness of the in-game economy, build rates, and other under-the-hood (or at least not immediately recognizable) aspects of the game. However, throw in the need for snap judgments and risk vs. reward behavior and AI is generally screwed.

A good example is Solium Infernum. The AI understands the objectives of the game, tracks the leading player, and performs the basic actions necessary to achieve success. However, it does not take the risks that Solium Infernum demands to create a truly enjoyable experience for the human player or one of consistent victory for the AI. The AI will almost always avoid combat, presumably because it's a relatively inefficient course of action with little guarantee of a net gain. Since Solium Infernum is a game in which combat can be easy to avoid, the general flow of the game against the AI is one where either the AI or the player dominates the game from early on, making an otherwise very tense, surprisingly quick game feel dragged out and dull.

I've often wondered whether it would be possible to create a game AI which had some degree of randomized behavior and which would track and update said behavior based upon the scores it accrued against the player; a sort of Survival of the Fittest AI Routine in which it organically became better at the game as it played.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I've often wondered whether it would be possible to create a game AI which had some degree of randomized behavior and which would track and update said behavior based upon the scores it accrued against the player; a sort of Survival of the Fittest AI Routine in which it organically became better at the game as it played.
    Genetic algorithm is the term you are looking for. A problem would be an AI playing enough games to determine whether its parameters were good or bad. Normally with genetic algorithms you run thousands to millions of simulations to "evolve" towards a better result. If you had to play a several-hour long game with a human for one permutation, it would take an intractable amount of time to converge on a better strategy.

To all people complaining that the developers are "sidestepping making good AI by scripting": They do not have an obligation to make pure good AI. They have an obligation (even not really) to make a good experience. No more, no less. If the AI is poor, but it seems great, then who the fuck cares. The end result is what counts, they're not doing AI research or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    GLaDOS, without a doubt.
    I concur.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.
    Best FPS-AI since 1996! I had to play some twenty missions before i could out do my own team mates. Loved to whole squad feeling. They were really helpful all the time, hardly any f-ups.