Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Id like to leave it for now and wait for those additions.

now tell me finally what film stuff you do (Im a film producer myself) ((use PMs))
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"Server connection failed: The remote host closed the connection"

What do?

Option one is to try a different username.

Option two is to open cmd.exe and give me the output from typing "tracert server.herosquad.org"

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Id like to leave it for now and wait for those additions.

now tell me finally what film stuff you do (Im a film producer myself) ((use PMs))
    The super advanced guide will e a separate post anyway so you can go ahead and make the alterations, I'll tell you my film stuff then if you do

Is fine now.

ok. i updated it. does anyone see the notes about the deleted posts inbetween, or is it just me as a mod?

Im a film producer in the sense that I make my own stuff as well as work for monochrom as their film department lead. used to do mostly compositing. then mostly editing. then an advertising director showed me the light by being a total fucktard and I havent worked for shitty people ever since.
    in summer im going to hollywood as a film producer. yeehaw. I expect to meet absolutely 100% plastic people.

now its your turn ;D
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 24-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Hmm. By reading previous page: whens the tacgir part coming? Will there be much different, or just another set of the same?
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 25-04-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    This is actually what was originally intended as a setup for TACGIR, so I would assume that there would not be very much more to say on the subject of TACGIR comms at least. Perhaps a section on the purpose and philosophy of TACGIR is what was referred to?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Hmm. By reading previous page: whens the tacgir part coming? Will there be much different, or just another set of the same?
    That was the TACGIR part.
    Find me on the Steams

To clarify; this is the TACGIR part:

Quote Originally Posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
    TACGIR & Multiple Platoon Communication Guide:

This is an optional guide that will cover some of the advanced communication options available for Platoon Leaders when using the TACGIR channels. It will also cover the alterations to the keybind setup needed for Platoon Leaders when running with multiple platoons under a Supreme Giraffe.

Note: Most people will not need to read this guide.

Using Units:

A regular platoon with contain 4 squads; Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta and using the regular channel layout (see below) each Squad Leader can talk to each other using their Whisper Keybind.

But say Alpha and Bravo are sent off to capture one base and Charlie and Delta are sent to capture another. The Squad Leaders could continue to use their Whisper Keybinds to coordinate with each other but they may not want to hear the chatter of the squads at the other base. This is where Units can be useful. The Platoon Leader can use units to group squads by common objectives. In this scenario Alpha and Bravo would be in Unit 1 and Charlie and Delta would be in Unit 2 (see below)

The Squad Leaders of Alpha and Bravo can now talk to each other without hearing Charlie and Delta. However, the Radio Operators are still able to talk to the Platoon Leader and each other.

If Alpha and Bravo meet heavy resistance but Charlie and Delta meet very little, the Platoon Leader could send Charlie to assist and would then move them into Unit 1. This allows Charlie Squad Leader to talk to Alpha and Bravo. Once Delta has finished capturing their base, they could either be sent to support the other three squads, joining Unit 1 or stay separate and head to another base.
    That's basically all there is to it, really. Things have become much easier to handle!

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    To clarify; this is the TACGIR part:

That's basically all there is to it, really. Things have become much easier to handle!
    I'll get that guide finished today.

Large Scale Event Keybind Tweak:

Note: This guide is for Platoon Leaders ONLY. Supreme Giraffes, Squad Leaders and Radio Operators do NOT need to do this.

When playing in large scale events, with multiple platoons (such as a Call to Arms) Platoon Leaders will need to make a slight tweak to their Whisper Keybind.

This will be how the Whisper Keybind will be currently set up; two whispers set to the same key:

Simply set them to two separate keys:

Use the 'Current' whisper to talk to other Platoon Leaders and the Supreme Giraffe and the 'Parent' whisper to talk to the Radio Operators within your Platoon.

This will reduce the amount unrelated chatter that Radio Operators, Platoon Leaders and the Supreme Giraffe receive and make the comms much more manageable.

After the event has finished Platoon Leaders can set their Whisper Keybind back to the same key:
    Last edited by GinSoakedBoy; 25-04-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GinSoakedBoy View Post
    Use the 'Parent' whisper to talk to other Platoon Leaders and the Supreme Giraffe and the 'Current' whisper to talk to the Radio Operators within your Platoon.

This will reduce the amount unrelated chatter that Radio Operators, Platoon Leaders and the Supreme Giraffe receive and make the comms much more manageable.
    Yes, very good! But, sadly incorrect. Parent+subs will whisper to your platoon and any subchannels. Current+linked will whisper to SG, other PLs and your (not other platoons') ROs.

You may also want to include a tip that I intend to follow, if PLing:

Rebind your PTT function to another key than your usual PTT to avoid using that for talking to any squads under your direct command, if you have any.

If you want to play and PL at once, and there is no multi-platoon play going on, you can sit in the RO channel of your squad. Bind a new key for PTT (so that you have two different binds), and set the same key to also activate "Join Channel - Platoon Leader". When pressing this (new) key, you should be moved to the PL channel and start talking to everyone in the platoon, giving you that PL-specific ability, without sacrificing the ability to play in a squad as usual.

In single-group play, the only thing that differs between RO and PL is that PL can address the entire platoon with his PTT key, whereas RO only talks to his/her own squad, so this should work nicely. Useful for everyday play PLs probably!

Yes, very good! But, sadly incorrect. Parent+subs will whisper to your platoon and any subchannels. Current+linked will whisper to SG, other PLs and your (not other platoons') ROs.

So they are correct but the wrong way round?

Exactly. You can see from the channel structure: PLs parent channel is the platoon channel. The Supreme Giraffe is not in that part of the tree.

Ah, I follow you now.

Quantacat, the guide needs updating again I'm afraid. I've updated my post: Here.

roger.......
    - Tom De Roeck.

Changing minds more often than knickers here.

Changing minds more often than knickers here.
    Pff, it's your fault for setting up the most difficult to explain comms system in the world

We could cut away the SL-to-SL communication and the unit concept that was introduced to support it, since that is the only really complex part. But I really don't think we should. People will learn, eventually.