Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    The only things I see are two:

first, PL is again isolated and lonely. Possibly solved by having a friend along for the ride.
    There's no reason why the PL can't drag their squad along to the PL channel, or PL using the "phone call" lines from a squad channel - for more casual experiences anyway. And I think we've been agreed for a while that having some kind of "crew" for the PL to stop them annoying squads with extra chatter is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Second, a little bit of comms discipline is needed to make sure PL knows who's calling in and that people don't talk over each other.
    Yeah, people need to be better about explaining who they are.
    [/QUOTE]
    Oh and third, lots of binds needed, being bothersome to set up and easy to get mixed up[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not ideal. But then neither have been our other attempts. The typical player though needs only worry about the sitrep bind at most though. Other than that, we'd have to run a "Girofficer re-education" campaign.

Activated Node
    The binds. I reckon it's much easier if we decide we are going to stick with the current stratgir comms channel setup for now. Then we can set up binds in this format:
    Stratgir Direct Comms -> Platoon 1 -> Alpha
    rather than as is suggested on mumble thread as
    Parent -> Subchannel 1
    which has to be changed whenever you PL to
    Current -> Subchannel 1
    (although I also use Parent -> All Sub-channels & linked as a talk to everyone.)

Basically, by binding comms to the channel rather than parent/sub-channel; it allows the SLs to use their Whisper bindings to talk to each other directly; as well as allowing the PL to get into action a little quicker.
    That said, it does require more bindings - I personally play WASD, and have in game chat, mumble whispers and teamspeak assigned to various numpad buttons. I use Z as push to talk and ` (next to 1 key) as my broadcast to all sub-channels and linked.
    So far, I've found this works pretty well. Having major talking keys miles away from play means you have to get a pause in action to talk, so you aren't interrupted in your broadcast by suddenly yelling about MAXes.

Also I agree with those who say PL channel needs to introduce themselves. Running as Liaison last StratGir, set up mumble binds to convey info directly. Did a comms check and nobody knew where I was shouting from. So yeah, sorry to those guys I confused.

Side note - excellent [/QUOTE]ing there CMaster

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Looks like you've gt something wrong there, Eggman. The binds you want are, CURRENT > Subchannel 1-4, which remain valid, whether you are PL or not. Binds to precipice channels is what we went with six months ago and it was a mess, a fustercluck, and a total disaster, so let's please not go back to that. The easy path leads to the Dark Side, young padawan.

I've recently redownloaded PS2 and tried to join the RPS channels in Mumble, but I can't seem to join any channels. The guide told me to join the "Grunts" channel, but with that one, like every other tells me that I'm "denied enter privileges". No idea what I'm doing wrong. It's probably something extremely obvious, but please don't yell at me. I haven't got much experience with programs like this.
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:
    "By ignorance the truth is known" -Henry Suso

Quote Originally Posted by Wyhx View Post
    I've recently redownloaded PS2 and tried to join the RPS channels in Mumble, but I can't seem to join any channels. The guide told me to join the "Grunts" channel, but with that one, like every other tells me that I'm "denied enter privileges". No idea what I'm doing wrong. It's probably something extremely obvious, but please don't yell at me. I haven't got much experience with programs like this.
    Don't worry, no one is going to yell at you!

People start filtering onto PS2 in the evenings. I should be on about 6:30pm Uk Time, so if you're about, I can help you get on mumble, if you haven't sorted it already :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    We've made some changes to Mumble and the guides haven't been updated.

Your best bet is to join whatever channel other people are in...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Sorry for posting that twice. And that's pretty much the problem: I'm forbidden from joining any channel at all. It seems like it's only in the PS2 channels too, DOTA etc. work just fine. No idea what I'm doing wrong.
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Wyhx View Post
    Sorry for posting that twice. And that's pretty much the problem: I'm forbidden from joining any channel at all. It seems like it's only in the PS2 channels too, DOTA etc. work just fine. No idea what I'm doing wrong.
    That's odd. We have a bunch of us that have admin on the PS2 channels. Next time you are playing, send someone a message and we'll trya dn help.

Also; try moving to the AFK or lobby channel. Sometimes the PS2 channels block people moving from one channel to another.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    BANG

I'll try and take a screencap of the error message when I'm back home. I'm in France atm for a tournament and don't have my laptop with me. Sorry for being an idiot :/
    My Steam Profile
    Obligatory quote:

I have updated the information on Mumble. Please check the following for errors:

RPS outfit-specific info:

Seriously: Have I got anything wrong? I would very much like this setup to be FINAL...

Also, can I check: The shortcuts to act as 'RO' and talk to the platoon leader from your squad channel has CHANGED in that parent now has NO CHECKBOXES??

If this is true we really need to start bothering everyone to make these changes. We might even need to re-verify all Girofficers. It's not a huge change, but it will need to be done.
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, the parent bind no longer wants to have subs checked. If it is, then sitreps end up going to all squads in the platoon.

It would be good to encourage everybody to have the "sitrep" bind set up, and anyone who wants to self-describe as "Radio Operator" to have the ability to talk across squads.
    It would also be good to encourage people to have a "current + linked" bind accompanying each of the squad-specific binds.

With regards to the "way to make PL be part of a squad channel" thing - next time I have internet access + mumble certificate, I'll make PLs able to link channels. So they could just link themselves in to the squad they were running with.

I wasn't really here when everything was being finalised on the mumble front, and I've not really seen much in the way of split comms when I have been in....so is there a rundown/diagram of who can talk to who (and who can hear what) of the current setup?

Easy :
    4 new keys, each talk to a designated squad (+ your current channel if you set up a dual bind to each key)
    Old whisper is only used to talk to PL channel (if PL is not already in a squad channel)

Basically the new binds are harder to setup, but way easier to use/understand once you have them
    Last edited by Ksempac; 12-11-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Exactly. One good way to do it is NUM1 for Alpha squad, NUM2 for Bravo etc, and one key for PL channel. I also use NUM0 as a broadcast button bound to all of the squad channels (one whisper for each).

It's very simple, and seems to work very well really. Cross-chatter has really not been a problem as far as I've been able to tell.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    I like that setup Eso - will have to fiddle with my binds next time I boot Mumble.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm Platoon Leading, but want to be part of a squad
    Handily, we can support that now too!
    First off, you want to have everybody in their usal places. So PL up in the "Platoon X" channel, Alpha squad in alpha channel, delta squad in delta channel etc.
    Then in mumble, right click on the channel of the squad you are a part of (In this example, Bravo squad). Click "link".
    You'll now hear everything that Bravo does, and they should hear everything you say too. (Whether they hear your orders to other squads depends on if you set up the additional "current and linked" on every individual squad bind). This is better than just sitting in the squad channel, as it means normal sitreps will reach you, and you can use the "shout to all squads" key.

Please try and remember to "Unlink" when you stop PLing.

If someone could double check, but after some verification tonight, here's how I think the mumble keys/links currently work:

KEY
    WHO CAN HEAR YOU
    USED FOR
    NEEDED BY
    OPTIONAL FOR
    Push to Talk Everyone in your current channel Chitter Chatter/Banter/etc EVERYONE NO-ONE
    Report to PL The Platoon Leader channel, and everyone in your current channel ROs/SLs to report back PL ROs/SLs (Girofficers) -
    Talk to Everyone Everyone (if you're in Platoon Leader channel) PL giving general orders/congrats/etc PLs (Balloon Leader) -
    Talk to Alpha Everyone in Alpha channel PLs giving orders to just Alpha.

ROs/SLs of other squads to coordinate/warn you of Gal drops/etc
    PLs (Balloon Leader) ROs/SLs (Girofficers)
    Talk to Bravo Everyone in Bravo channel PLs giving orders to just Bravo.

Talk to Charlie Everyone in Charlie channel PLs giving orders to just Charlie.

Talk to Delta Everyone in Delta channel PLs giving orders to just Delta.

Last edited by AlfieV; 18-11-2013 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Massive table is massive

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Massive table looks correct to me!

If you add a double bind to Current for each of your "talk to squad X" bind, which is highly recommended, your current channel can also hear you. That way, people in your channel knows when you're talking to others.

Also i disagree that all theses are optionals, i would make them mandatory to any regular player, otherwise it's always the same few people that need to handle coms.

Massive table is awesome. And helpful. Thanks!