Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

Lightbulb [VS] The Giraffe Mentoring Programme

Discussions have been ongoing about mentoring SLs and PLs for a long long time, it's about time we got this organised properly.

I've made a post on the outfit website. I've listed people there who have volunteered as mentors, with what kinds of roles they are happy to be mentoring for. If you want your name on that list, reply here and state what roles you can do mentoring for. If you want mentoring for some role, either post here to arrange it, or ask one of the people on the list in-game.

Should be simple enough, eh?

Edit: please state desired roles like on the post, if you can.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 31-05-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    MrEclectic. Practically everything

You happy Supreme Giraffing too, Eclectic?

And CMaster, since you've already done this, I just put your name up there too. Let me know if you want to change anything.

Definitely would like to be on the list. I'm happy leading squads for the time being, no rocket science involved there. But I'd like the opportunities to refine large scale leadership, whether it's as a PL or a Supreme Giraffe.

IGN TDMoogle

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    You happy Supreme Giraffing too, Eclectic?
    Those who can, do it. Those who can't do it, teach it :P

Uhm, let's see, not sure of your intentions here. The list is for mentors. While I've been happy with what I've seen of your leadership, rather to my surprise so props for that, calling you a veteran would be a long stretch. Do you feel that you've got good enough a grip on the game, battleflow, tactics, mechanics and all that, to be a mentor yourself, already? Good job, if so! If you're interested in being mentored then what you want to do is arrange something with someone here.

Network Hub
    Can mentor SL, PL, TACGIR.

Also HA, Engineer and Scythe (to a certain level of competency).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I'm happy to mentor on: RO and TacGir SL, regular SL (though all I'd say is "set the waypoint and put the beacon down!").

I'd also encourage aspirant giraffe leaders to take this opportunity to be mentored. I had the benefit of CMaster's mentoring in the PL role last night and it was a major confidence booster.

Taking Coffeetable's lead I'd be keen to get a bit of a mentoring-type thing going with specific roles. I'd like to improve my LA and HA effectiveness mostly. However we should perhaps organise that in a different thread to try to keep things on topic?
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

I could probably mentor a strat PL.

Yeah I think we'd better keep things on topic here, staying within the leadership area. Maybe start PL should be a different thing? What do you guys think?

No. While Strat PL is a different thing (and probably should only be open to people who have been regular PL at least once), it does fall under PL training.

Quote Originally Posted by cfftble View Post
    Also HA, Engineer and Scythe (to a certain level of competency).
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Taking Coffeetable's lead I'd be keen to get a bit of a mentoring-type thing going with specific roles. I'd like to improve my LA and HA effectiveness mostly. However we should perhaps organise that in a different thread to try to keep things on topic?
    Follow people who have a style that you like. For instance, switch to Combat Medic and follow coffeetable. He'll appreciate the support and the back up, both of you will be more effective and you'll get to see how he plays.

Anyway, this is more training related, and getting OOT.

Updated. Please check that I've got your preferences and in-game names right, thanks.

I could probably mentor newbies SL / TACGIR.

Do we really need mentoring for SL during regular play ? Their role is Beacon Monkey, I don't think you need a mentoring program just for that. I actually encourage people to use the Beacon Monkey term, so that people aren't as afraid to take it as if we use "Squad Leader"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    I'm happy to mentor on: RO and TacGir SL, regular SL (though all I'd say is "set the waypoint and put the beacon down!").
    This is often the case for regular SL, but even on some nights there can be a lot more to it, if you want there to be.

Strat and TacGir are by no means just "set and put" though, but its a good start, haha!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    I could probably mentor newbies SL / TACGIR.

Do we really need mentoring for SL during regular play ? Their role is Beacon Monkey, I don't think you need a mentoring program just for that. I actually encourage people to use the Beacon Monkey term, so that people aren't as afraid to take it as if we use "Squad Leader"
    We are moving away from Beacons being just "monkeys". See new thread I intend to write straight after this post.

We cannot expect SLs to be full-on tactical micro-managers. Especailly when we are all in one channel and there isn;t the breathing-space to do that. But we should & can expect more from beacons.

----------

Cooper, volunteering to mentor for PL, SL and RO.

Also to mentor on "Galaxy acrobatics 101: How to be a great Gal pilot but screw up just enough times that no one is ever comfortable being in a Gal with you and any tricks you pull off seem even more impressive because there remains the fear that you might just plunge everyone into a firey death like last time."
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

Also to mentor on "Galaxy acrobatics 101: How to be a great Gal pilot but screw up just enough times that no one is ever comfortable being in a Gal with you and any tricks you pull off seem even more impressive because there remains the fear that you might just plunge everyone into a firey death like last time."
    I would like to sign up for this class please. I think I have some of the skills required already, but I would like insight from the master.

I'd like to be mentored on PL/SL please, along with TACGIR equivalents

Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    I'd like to be mentored on PL/SL please, along with TACGIR equivalents
    Me, too - I think I could be a quite good leader, but I think i need some kind of start help