Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    If only the overlay didn't cause PS2 to crash every 10 minutes for me Anyone else had this and found a fix?
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    If only the overlay didn't cause PS2 to crash every 10 minutes for me Anyone else had this and found a fix?
    What OS are you using? Because there were big issues with Windows 8 and mumble 1.2.3 that would crash the game for me. Fixed by getting the latest RC of Mumble 1.2.4

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Yup, the beta 1.2.4 fixes issues with W8. No issues with W7 and Overlay here.
    Find me on the Steams

I have this all set up - did a bit of not-too-subtle lurking in Platoon 1 and Alpha channel this evening. I guess the next thing is actually speaking in channel and asking for an Outfit invitation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumpy View Post
    I have this all set up - did a bit of not-too-subtle lurking in Platoon 1 and Alpha channel this evening. I guess the next thing is actually speaking in channel and asking for an Outfit invitation.
    Yeah, I saw a PM or something from you in mumble today, sorry I didn't get around to deal with it.
    In general though, Platoon/squad leads are not good people to hit up for invites, tehy are busy enough already.
    Just ask for an invite in any of the active channels - all members should be able to invite.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    What OS are you using? Because there were big issues with Windows 8 and mumble 1.2.3 that would crash the game for me. Fixed by getting the latest RC of Mumble 1.2.4
    Nopes, Win 7. I'll try the RC anyway, though.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar

The perceived problems with split comms

Inspired by Danny's comment on squad play and split comms:

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    Because some people hate split comms - not me personally, but some people...

(I failed at sounding mysterious. Sorry.)
    I'd like to discuss this for a bit. It should be no surprise to those who've played with me for a while and who frequent this forum, that I am a proponent of split comms. I find it more relaxing, more focused and in general more useful.

SUMMARY: I'd like to hear what turns people off of split comms, because I think we can fix most of it with e.g. careful squad member assignment, taking people's relationships into account.

I should preface this by saying that nothing here is intended to imply that any person or playstyle preference is any better or worth any more than any other, as far as I'm concerned.
    I have chosen my words, to the best of my ability, to convey my message in a respectful manner, but I realise that written communication is a fickle beast. Please keep this in mind, reading onward.

I've been playing with RPS since launch in November (two days after release, according to Planetside Universe), and I've learnt that we have a couple "cliques", or groups of people in the outfit with slightly different interests. I'm going to simplify us into to major groups; tactical players and social players. Tactical players enjoy tight, organised, focused operations and need the space in comms to coordinate, relay intel etc. Social players enjoy chatty, joking, jovial comms and shooting lasers. This is not a black-and-white thing, but rather a grayscale; most of us are somewhere in between. I myself mostly enjoy tactical ops, but I too just want to shoot lasers while "shooting the shit" as the yanks would say, from time to time. "Tactical" does not mean "anti-social", and "social" doesn't mean "disorganised", or at least I don't think it needs to.

I find that when we bunch all of us together in one big messy Mumble channel, we do both of these groups a disservice. Tactical players are unable to enjoy the "best" parts of the game (organised ops) with that many people talking at once; social players have to put up with tactical players who are grumpy because they can't play the game they love the way the love it best. That, or the tactical players just quit and go do something else.

Conversely, there is a problem with split comms, where it can become very quiet or, worse, awkward if the 12 people in the squad don't mesh well on a personal level. This can sometimes drive social players off.

Again, people want different kinds of experiences out of the game, some have a more casual/social approach (not a bad thing, mind) and some take it more seriously (not necessarily a better thing, just a different thing).

To me, single-channel comms is just so messy and hectic, and so many people never get a chance to speak up; it's generally only a handful of voices speaking when we use single-channel comms. I realise there are some who don't feel comfortable talking much anyway (and some don't have mics), but I really think that it is much less daunting when there are only 10 or 11 other people sharing a channel with you, rather than some 40-odd people...

Another benefit to split comms is "selective company". Sure, you might not always be able to play with all of the people whose company you enjoy, but on the other hand, you don't have to play with that guy/girl that just ticks you off every time. Isn't that a good trade-off?

So, what I'm thinking is that it should be possible to create an environment with split comms (one or two squads per channel), where, with a little care, players could be arranged so that people who get along share comms and get to play together. I really do think that those who prefer the chatty messy Mumble can have that if we just put them together, rather than spreading people around haphazardly, as seems to be the general case. The same goes for tactical players. I myself usually just move the bottom people in the squad list, whenever squads need to be reorganised, and I think this is the root of the problems with squad play evenings. I intend to do this with much greater care in the future.

I'd like to hear what turns you off of split comms, those who don't appreciate it. I would like to see whether we can find a solution to that, by for instance showing greater care when assigning squad members etc.
    Last edited by EsotericReverie; 22-03-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Formatting

I'm torn. While I do like somewhat quieter comms than a whole platoon jabbering in one channel, 12 is sometimes on the low end. I find I enjoy around 2 squads per channel in general.

It's certainly possible to have a lot of fun in a 12-man channel, but you'd need specific people to make it happen.

Yeah, I think 24 might be a sweet spot for "casual" comms. 24 is also a good number to achieve non-trivial objectives in-game. I think that when we reach 30 or so, we should split in two, even on casual nights. Then possibly, tactical players could go to one of the channels, though I'm not sure what that would do to the effectiveness of the other group.

I think we should always split when squads have different objectives. Every time. Multiple squads on different places in one channel does not work. I think this should rather be the call for split, or when it is very chatty I guess.

There is little point in splitting on a regular night if we are zerging it up and orders etc can still be heard.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, what really makes me want to split is not number of people, but as soon as we start to split up, being lumped together in comms gets confusing and unhelpful.

That said, I do think we should make the decision to split comms more often. I've sometimes logged in to ~40 people, often rather spread out and found myself wondering "why are we all still sharing a channel". If there's lots of people out there who don't like it, then fine, but it feels like its something we should do more. Equally though, it is an error to start comm splitting too early, as numbers can go down as well as up pretty quickly, and leave us with almost-empty

We should, but then people need to start saying that and being vocal about it. We need to get rid of this whole thing that cause an argument a couple of times, namely that we are "not serious" and that split comms is for strat nights only, when in reality almost all of us prefer to play in squads like that..

I've called for a split quite a few times, but it seems people are generally afraid to do so. I also don't want to always be the guy that calls for split comms :\
    Find me on the Steams

Bumping this thread. Also, we should try to get a few more people to set up the comms whispers, so that we can do split comms, and also split squad lead jobs a bit more often.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    This is an excellent post on comms discipline:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...cedure.111119/

Activated Node
    I'd prefer if we rolled with 12 people per channel on StratGir night and 24 or everyone in one channel the rest of the time.

marquise: please dont start that discussion again. Split comms will be upheld whenever its necessary, not on specific days. I think our PLs have good judgement on when to use split comms and when not to.

For example yesterday it was very very necessary.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Activated Node
    Huh ? Judging from the previous posts i thought the discussion was still ongoing, but if the matter has been settled, that's fine by me.

I think the discussion finished somewhere in another thread. its been splattered all over the forum to be honest.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

That still doesn't deny Marquise the right to have an opinion..

I think we sort of came to the conclusion that 24 player channels is the right thing to do on wednesdays. It can also be done for almost every day really, but to really employ squadplay most of us seemed to think sticking one squad in one channel is the way to go. Still, if we have two squads just playing together, then why not.
    Find me on the Steams

im not saying he doesnt have the right to an opinion. im say this discussion has been going on for some time and I thought we already had a pretty satisfactory conclusion.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications