Network Hub

SOE will be banning gamers that are abusive on twitter

source: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/145218/so...ned-from-games

The big question is how the arse do they intend to figure out which account on twitter belongs to which account in their games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Twitter is likely a really bad example and might be a mixed message going up the tree, but what I get from there is "If you are a twat on the forums, we will ban you". The rest I assume would be very special circumstances (like whatshisface the EVE player who abused a guy in the hopes of making him commit suicide) and that it won't be the default case.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Twitter is likely a really bad example and might be a mixed message going up the tree, but what I get from there is "If you are a twat on the forums, we will ban you". The rest I assume would be very special circumstances (like whatshisface the EVE player who abused a guy in the hopes of making him commit suicide) and that it won't be the default case.
    You're misremembering that: It was a guy who expressed suicidal thoughts to other players in EVE and a high-profile player (themittani?) made a drunk suggestion at a convention panel to grief him until he did. Still deplorable, of course, but no actual harm was done.

I'd say this is a pretty good initiative against those who are so fond of spewing hate and bile wherever they go, and if you're going to apply it to a multiplayer game, you have the justification that you're improving the general experience. So, yeah. Go for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    You're misremembering that: It was a guy who expressed suicidal thoughts to other players in EVE and a high-profile player (themittani?) made a drunk suggestion at a convention panel to grief him until he did. Still deplorable, of course, but no actual harm was done.
    Yeah... I'm not sure if I would call that misremembering and more "streamlining"...

But yeah, I have basically been fully supportive of the "you are a little shit on the forums, we don't want you in-game" policies. Yes, there have been some "Uhm, really?" moments (although, many of those seem to also dry up when people actually investigate what happened beyond "I got banned for being innocent and doing community service every weekend!" which makes me suspicious as hell), but there are false positives in everything and I imagine this will be akin to how VAC bans you for hacking... after a few dozen red flags are raised.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I've seen how the breakdown of a relationship was carried over into WoW, and how cumbersome it was to really get anything done in that regard. I was always inclined to support the 'just /ignore'-argument, and still am in most respects, but that episode gave me a pretty good idea of the lengths some people will go to just to annoy someone.

It also made it quite clear how problematic it is for customer service representatives to really do anything, so I'll take these SOE statements in that light: more as PR than actual policy.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Well let's be clear, Linda Carlson said this would be for the most serious offenders, and their sanctions start off small then escalate. I also have no doubt she will look to deliver on this, she's a long time gamer herself and knows full well how much harrassment is out there, and that most players would be very happy to see it stamped out.

More detail here:
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...d-tribulations

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Honestly, I have no objection to stuff like this, provided it's done with a level head. Why? Because on the occasions where there are false positives, innocent parties will be able to handle this and appeal reasonably, whereas exactly the kind of hateful, screeching pricks who ruin things for everyone will be the ones who scream and shout about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just hope they don't go after people who heckle garfield.
    https://twitter.com/Garfield