Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    You can totally pre-order this car, but we will reveal some unimportant aspects like horsepower etc. after premiere.
    Or how many cupholders or whatever.

Any time you pre-order/are an early adopter you are taking a risk. Maybe it is a question of "is it good?", maybe it is "How long will I enjoy this for?", or maybe it is something "more imporant" like "What formats does it come in?"

Either way, it is completely legal.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Activated Node
    This is just a rubbish All in one shidooby, Laptop parts in a tiny little box. Ultrabook processor, onboard GPU most likely or a 660M or something, but way too expensive (Like all boutique computers). I'll wait for the streaming boxes later in the year which will be far cheaper (like, $100 - $200) & can leverage the power of my main SLI rig.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's legal, but it's totally insane.
    BTW I wonder if that Valve PConsole would cost 999€ in Europe, as for Valve 1$ is equal 1€.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    It can't be that hard to get a mid range gaming PC out in a small box for 750 can it?
    Sure it can, particularly when we're on the cusp of a new console generation. Things are a bit different now that the PS4 is going to be an x86 box with a fair bit of grunt behind it. Compared to the 360/PS3 generation you're right, it's not going to be terribly challenging to deliver a decent rig in that little cube (it still wouldn't be impressive though), but when we're so close to the next generation simply matching existing consoles is like saying "Hey I'll sell you a 360 right now for $800, deal?"

Since it's in a small form factor it's likely to be custom-fab pieces to make it fit into the box, plus there'd have to be some creative work there to handle all the heat a gaming device is likely to throw out (unless you're not playing too many intensive games, at which point what the hell is this thing competing with?), so of course they're going to add costs on top of it for manufacturing/assembly/because they can.

When this thread started we didn't know much about the next generation of consoles. We know more now, and this thing could end up being an expensive novelty. Hopefully Valve's attempt will be better, but I doubt it'll be as small.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    It's legal, but it's totally insane.
    BTW I wonder if that Valve PConsole would cost 999€ in Europe, as for Valve 1$ is equal 1€.
    That would be the day. I'm going to wager in Europe it'll be priced 1199+ euros. But time'll tell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Sure it can, particularly when we're on the cusp of a new console generation. Things are a bit different now that the PS4 is going to be an x86 box with a fair bit of grunt behind it. Compared to the 360/PS3 generation you're right, it's not going to be terribly challenging to deliver a decent rig in that little cube (it still wouldn't be impressive though), but when we're so close to the next generation simply matching existing consoles is like saying "Hey I'll sell you a 360 right now for $800, deal?"

Since it's in a small form factor it's likely to be custom-fab pieces to make it fit into the box, plus there'd have to be some creative work there to handle all the heat a gaming device is likely to throw out (unless you're not playing too many intensive games, at which point what the hell is this thing competing with?), so of course they're going to add costs on top of it for manufacturing/assembly/because they can.

When this thread started we didn't know much about the next generation of consoles. We know more now, and this thing could end up being an expensive novelty. Hopefully Valve's attempt will be better, but I doubt it'll be as small.
    Well the kickstarter video made it look terribly over engineered, it's own form factor for motherboards, you can run a car over it without it being crushed or some nonsense...

You could definitely get that spec in something for much cheaper, using micro-ATX maybe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gabe says big news coming!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...e-coming-soon/

"Next week we're going to be rolling out more information about how we get there and what are the hardware opportunities we see for bringing Linux into the living room," Newell said.

If they could get something at to $600 with a controller, then focus on the highlights (cheaper games, sales, platformed focused on games), I could see people paying the premium. Not the $1k premium that other Not quite Steam box PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Damn, beat me to it!
    I'm eager to see what they will show.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Honestly, I was expecting it to launch with half the specs of a PS4/X3 (4 core 2GHZ or whatever) or up to around the same specs for around the same price. So $500/500 tops? They'd make a killing anything south of 750 IMO as it would run games and be a "PC". It can't be that hard to get a mid range gaming PC out in a small box for 750 can it?
    lets have a go
    http://www.ebuyer.com/448435-avp-e-c...lcd-dis-902bkw
    http://www.ebuyer.com/395310-gigabyt...-ga-78lmt-usb3
    http://www.ebuyer.com/545509-coolerm...s550-80gaj3-uk
    http://www.ebuyer.com/409191-amd-fx-...-fd6300wmhkbox
    http://www.ebuyer.com/272176-kingsto...00c9d3b1k2-8gx
    http://www.ebuyer.com/454252-sapphir...s-11196-19-20g
    http://www.ebuyer.com/252858-seagate...e-st31000524as
    http://www.ebuyer.com/516900-samsung...-sh-224db-rsms

dumps all over the xbone and considerably beats the ps4 spec wise for 564.54
    I've used quality parts here too, and you could definitely downgrade the 7950 boost to something like a 680gtx or 7870hd, perhaps use a few cheaper brands elsewhere and still have a faster machine than the new consoles for around 500

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I have a system marked up already, all in all at 500 without a case. That's a mini-itx setup too with a Intel Core i5-3450S. You could theoretically make one for around 600 with a case. I'd be planning to actually cheat, and squeeze the graphics card in a slimline case some how. :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Beating straight up specs does not mean anything. Xbox 360 is using a ATI X1800...does a hell of a lot better job in AAA games than what you would get out of it on the PC. Even PC only games could not do as well on a similiar card.

We simply won't know until November and see how BF4 looks vs the PC. I wonder what resolution and fps is being aimed towards on console games. 720p or less and 30fps was the aim for console games.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah but a big part of that is having to run Windows on a pc (and most pcs are running 1080p not 720p)
    Your steambox would have some cut down, bare bones hardware optimised Linux build

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karaquazian View Post
    Yeah but a big part of that is having to run Windows on a pc (and most pcs are running 1080p not 720p)
    Your steambox would have some cut down, bare bones hardware optimised Linux build
    No. The really big difference is that they have to use drivers because a PC can be made up of all kinds of different hardware in different combinations. Linux PCs still have all kinds of different graphics cards, CPUs, memory and so on. That's not something that can ever be fixed, and it really is just the flip side of one of the biggest advantages of the PC - customisability.

You can moan about Windows too if you like (and DirectX vs. OpenGL), but it's certainly a smaller factor than that.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The xbox runs a heavily cut down version of windows tailored to its hardware.

Does not matter. They can still program to a very specific platform. They know EXACTLY how the hardware will perform, and they can tailor their games to that. It just doesn't work that way on PC.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As would valve with a steam box!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It would be nice to see 2-3 Steam Box options where Valve includes some nice tools to make games "better optimized" for Steam Boxs. You get more bang for your buck from these optimized games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    But it doesn't matter because it's also the games that need to be developed specifically for the platform. And good luck getting massive support for Linux, it's never happened and Valve suddenly supporting it hasn't changed that fact. Basically you can get a console, or get a PC, or get a Steambox which is halfway in either direction and probably won't offer any tangible benefits over either platform.

If you're a PC gamer chances are you can already build your own system, so a Steambox isn't likely to be of much use. If you're not a PC gamer... well, you probably don't care.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I wonder if they will do something like the VitaTV does (and Nvidia Shield), remote play to a TV. You got your PC already but not near a TV nor reasonable to run HDMI cable. While there are some HDMI wifi options out there it seems a streaming box is the better option.

Is anyone really going to develop solely for the Steam box, rather than for PCs in general? I think not.